Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 07-19-2005, 05:40 AM   #1
o_norris

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
"EA AND VALVE TEAM UP.."

yup EA is the newest Publisher of Valve. Things getting even worser nowadays. Anyway it would explain why the are working again on TF2 atm hehe

Quote:
EA AND VALVE TEAM UP TO DELIVER HALF LIFE TO GAMERS WORLDWIDE

Redwood City, Calif. and Bellevue, WA – July 18, 2005 – Electronic Arts, the world’s leading interactive entertainment company and Valve®, the award-winning studio behind the blockbuster franchises Half-Life® and Counter-Strike™, today announced that the two companies have entered a multi-year agreement to deliver a collection of Valve games to players worldwide. The first two games to be released under this agreement are Half-Life 2: Game of the Year and Counter-Strike: Source™ for PC, both launching this fall. In addition, Half-Life 2 for the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft, currently in development at Valve and targeted for release in October, will be published and distributed worldwide by EA.

“At EA Partners, our mandate is to seek out the world’s top studios and game franchises, build partnerships, empower the development teams and help get these great games to more people in more countries than ever before. We consider Half-Life and Counter-Strike to be two of the best game franchises of all time,” said Tom Frisina, Vice President and General Manager, EA Partners. “We could not be more excited to have the opportunity to help deliver these outstanding games to players around the globe.”

“EA is the worldwide leader in bringing best of breed games, for all platforms, to market,” said Gabe Newell, Valve’s founder and president. “Valve games have sold over 18 million units at retail since Half-Life shipped in November 1998. By combining EA’s unparalleled operation structure and distribution channel with Valve’s award-winning development teams and games community, we’ve established an awesome combination for delivering great products to console and PC gamers around the world.”

Half-Life 2: Game of the Year is a special edition release of the best-selling and critically acclaimed title that includes Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, plus Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, and Half-Life: Source.

Counter-Strike: Source takes the world’s number one online action game to new heights atop the Source engine with brilliant graphics, enhanced versions of the classic CS maps, all-new CS maps, offline skirmish play with AI bots, and more. It also includes Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Day of Defeat™: Source.

Half Life 2 for the Xbox system defines a new benchmark in console gaming with startling realism and responsiveness. Powered by Source technology, Half-Life 2 for Xbox features the most sophisticated in-game characters ever witnessed, advanced AI, stunning graphics and physical gameplay.

For more information about EA please visit http://www.ea.com and for information about Valve, please visit: http://www.valvesoftware.com

About Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts (EA), headquartered in Redwood City, California, is the world's leading interactive entertainment software company. Founded in 1982, the company develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software worldwide for videogame systems, personal computers and the Internet. Electronic Arts markets its products under four brand names: EA SPORTS™, EA™, EA SPORTS BIG™ and POGO™. In fiscal 2005, EA posted revenues of $3.1 billion and had 31 titles that sold more than one million copies. EA's homepage and online game site is www.ea.com. More information about EA's products and full text of press releases can be found on the Internet at http://info.ea.com.

About Valve

Valve is an entertainment software and technology company founded in 1996 and based in Bellevue, Washington. The company’s debut title, Half-Life®, has won over 50 Game of the Year Awards and was named "Best PC Game Ever" in the November 1999, October 2001, and April 2005 issues of PC Gamer, the world's best-selling PC games magazine. Valve’s portfolio of entertainment titles also includes Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, and Team Fortress®. This portfolio of titles accounts for over 18 million retail units sold worldwide, and Valve games account for over 88% of the PC online action market. In addition to producing best selling entertainment titles, Valve is a developer of leading-edge technologies, such as the Source game engine and Steam™, an electronic distribution platform for the delivery and management of digital content. Today, Valve is composed of over 80 of the industry's leading artists, programmers, and writers. In the company's nine-year history, it has risen from "unlikely new entry" to industry leader, producing a string of best selling and critically acclaimed PC entertainment products and technologies.

© 2005 Valve Corporation. All rights reserved. Valve, Half-Life, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, Source and Steam are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Valve Corporation. Electronic Arts, EA, EA SPORTS, EA SPORTS BIG and POGO are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Xbox is either a registered trademark or trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
o_norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
o_frenchtoast

I hope EA doesn't release patches that don't work because they're idiots. *cough*Battlefield 2*cough* twice *cough
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
I hope EA doesn't release patches that don't work because they're idiots. *cough*Battlefield 2*cough* twice *cough
I ran a TFC/CS Linux server for years FT. I got news for you...EA isn't the only people that can release a buggy patch!
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
o_i_like_me...shut_up

I didnt even know it was posible to make a game shittier than it was in a patch, but EA did it w\bf2 (not that battlefield 2 sucks but that they made it worse from the patch).
o_i_like_me...shut_up is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
o_ginger lord

DICE made it worse, EA published it.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #6
o_voipme

It seems like EA is eating up all the game companies. I wouldn't be so bitter about it (and I am) if EA would just release ONE Bond game that might be able to possibly hold a candle to Goldeneye. I mean, seriously. That game was made what...7 years ago? EA, die.

Who wants to play a game of Monopoly?
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
o_craigweb

ugh. I'm curious to know if there are actually any good points to taking EA on as Publisher. Why didn't they stick with the Publishers of DOD I wonder.
o_craigweb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 06:10 PM   #8
o_neoro

Valve will still be creating all their patchs/software/etc... EA just distributes it.
o_neoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
o_demasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by voipme
It seems like EA is eating up all the game companies. I wouldn't be so bitter about it (and I am) if EA would just release ONE Bond game that might be able to possibly hold a candle to Goldeneye. I mean, seriously. That game was made what...7 years ago? EA, die.

Who wants to play a game of Monopoly?
If they could do that the whole world would eplode.
o_demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 10:07 PM   #10
o_etzell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Yeah, you'd have Valve to talk to, NOT EA. EA is just distributing the game, Valve is still making it. It'd be like bitching to Vivendi about a bad patch... it's not their fault.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 10:32 PM   #11
o_frenchtoast

Valve had nothing to do with my comment...

Old 07-19-2005, 10:34 PM   #12
o_etzell

If they were to release updates for HL2 and the like, it'd be Valve's fault, not EA's.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #13
o_frenchtoast

Oh, yeah.

Quoting my post confused me

Old 07-19-2005, 11:46 PM   #14
o_general levy

people people

Distributor

Publisher

There is a difference you know.

iD and Activision have the same relationship. iD and Valve are both so big and generate enough money to hold onto their Intellectual Property.
o_general levy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 03:22 AM   #15
o_thenuke0

I HATE EA!
THIER ONE OF THE WORST COMPANIES EVER!!!!!!!!!!

If any1 know about Earth&Beyond (First MMORPG game) .....
you must know that EA killed it with lame patches and lack of publish.
after 2 years of item collecting they just shamelessly shut it down.

I hate EA !!!
o_thenuke0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #16
o_pizzahut

edit: Looks like EA is only distributing, but not publishing Valve's PC games. So, that means no "challenge everything" intro, no EA logo on the box, no marketing by EA, etc?
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 11:41 AM   #17
o_general levy

yes pizzahut
o_general levy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 06:12 PM   #18
o_broodingdude

Does this mean that "The Sims" will now be on the Source Engine?
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 06:52 PM   #19
o_zippy

EA and Value at work >>>

i know its old but i wub it lol
o_zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 09:06 PM   #20
o_sobe green

News Flash

If Valve ever does to EA what they did to Viv, EA -will- win.

Ever since Earth and Beyond was canceled and EA ate Westwood I've hated EA. Regardless of their publisher status I still hate them. They are a big company that needs to have their legs cut from the knee down. But thats just me.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote