Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #1
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Note to the pro's and old school clanners.

Just would like to thank you guys for the enthusiasm and commitment you've shown to this venture. This forum will hopefully grow and become a hub for the mod, its players, teams, servers and community.

You clan guys and server ops have kept the spirit of TFC alive through some dark times and its great to see you all looking forward to our new mod.

One thing I really hope you will take on board is the utmost importance to cultivate , encourage, and accept newbies and other potential players to these forums. Your combined knowledge of the game can be a bit daunting for a new player, some may come up with ideas that in reality wont work, or have an understanding of TFC that isnt 100% correct. However these are things we can be encouraged by because they show there is still interest in this style of gameplay which we all love.

New players are the life blood of the game lets make this forum as welcoming to them as possible and in return they will reward you by learning skills becoming community/clan members and ensuring the game thrives as it deserves to.

Somethings you might like to consider doing::

*Posting how you got into TFC, why you stayed playing for so long, and what you look forward to in Fortress-Forever.

*Posting about a clan you joined or created, its history, and what it ment to you.

*Introducing a CS type person to these forums and show them there is a new world outside AWP's and kevlar

*Describing a certain skill or concept in TFC and why it makes the game style fresh and exciting.

*Tell casual players on public servers about our mod and give them the url if they are interested( please dont spam tho ) )
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:28 AM   #2
o_saintrancid-tpf-

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
why did i play TFC for 2+ years? because of the community. period
o_saintrancid-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 02:35 AM   #3
o_d3pth charge

If anyone is to thank for keeping TF alive on HL, its the FF team! Without you guys I might have started playing... CS *shudder*

Seriously though, its awesome to see that not giving up on TF even after planetfortress.com went down the shittubes is paying off.

Have you guys considered informing planethalflife.com about your mod? I know halflife2.net covered it, but a LOT of hl2 players that don't visit halflife2.net go to planethalflife.com instead... I think you guys should give them a holler.
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 02:57 AM   #4
o_thedarkone

Does PF even bother to update their front page any more?
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 06:50 AM   #5
o_d3pth charge

... why dont you go look at it and that would answer your question pretty quickly now wouldnt it.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
o_thedarkone

because that would defeat the point of a snarky rhetorical question?

Old 01-22-2005, 11:33 AM   #7
o_storm

well said rebo, I liked the part about dark days, it made me feel as if I have been part of a quest and I am just about at the end

I started playing TFC just before Christmas 1999, a friend showed me how to play so I was never a newb who did newb things (I learned all that later) I started my own clan with some players that went onto be quiet well known (in the UK scene) Fizland, space monkey MORE and a few others. Anyhow that did last for long and I moved through loads of clans only even leaving when they split. I am good like that

When I stopped playing TFC for good (about 18 months ago maybe more) I had got a bit bored with the game but it was mainly the stuff that was going on in my life that forced me to leave. Leaving uni, starting my first full time job and buying a house leaves little space for tfc. Even since I settled in to my sunny house in Scotland (that's above England for all you Americans :P) I have been trying to get into other tf mods without success. They just didn't do anything for me. The thing that always drew me into tfc was the community, I gave myself goals of what to achieve within the game of tfc as well as in the community. i.e. get in a good clan and become a benevolent dictator. Both of which I think I achieved. I am hoping with all the hope I have that Forever fortress will provide the platform for another great community to form that I can become a part of. Right now it feels like a great beacon calling forward people from all parts of tfc and other mods pasts. Hopefully this continues

One piece of advice I would give to the mod team is continue the way you are going by listening and replying and interacting with the community. You more than anyone know how ignorant valve always where and how that slowy killed the game you love, I have faith you will never be like this but still keep it in mind when you are replying to the same question for the 100th time

Is bunny hopping going to be in ff btw? :P
o_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
o_onslaught

Yes as a long term QWTF and TFC player, I am really looking forward to this mod. The TFC community has some terrific people and hopefully FF will bring some of those that have dropped off over the years back into the fold.
o_onslaught is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
o_returner

I started off with QWTF circa 1997. I played one or two clan matches back then. As soon as TFC was released, I started playing it. I've played as a spy almost exclusively since I originally started TF. Sometimes I'm a sniper or maybe a hwguy, but not very often. I don't really know why I've played this long. I guess it's the variety and amount of tactics and classes that you can use. I've also played Counter-Strike for a long time (five years or more?), so I'm not limited to TF games.

The reason why I like being a spy is that it has a lot of unique features that other classes don't have. Using your brains is as important as shooting. Feigning (silent) can be used to: disguise yourself as a corpse (so when someone passes you, you can get up and stab him), avoid enemy fire (like rockets) or hide. Tranqs are very hard to use, yet extremely effective. A tranquilized medic can't use his medkit (too slow), a soldier can't fire missiles effectively (low rate of fire, and they usually don't switch to their shotguns) and a scout can't run away. Plus, the spy is very good at combat. And so on. A lot of possibilities.
o_returner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 06:41 PM   #10
o_saintrancid-tpf-

I started playing late 1999 and played until the end of 2002.i was in a couple clans but i have been an active member in the TPF community. since the first of 2000. i was one of those annoying medics that would conc into your base, infect everyone, and steal your flag. i dabbled in other classes like engineer and sniper and i got quite good with the pyro (a lost art). i've actually been playing TFC more and more lately maybe some of us should meet in a game sometime?
o_saintrancid-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
o_vanquish

I started playing TFC in late 99 but didn't really get into it until spring of 2000 when I started clanning. I used to go on the PlanetFortress forums more than I actually played, and I became a member of the TPF community (GoD!-TPF). My first clan was Drop Squad, way back when, which was loads of fun. After playing with them for over a year they folded, and I took nearly 2 years off of clanning before I joined AC, Aristocrack. I clanned with them in STA bronze for well over a year before I quit due to personal issues with the leader. After another few months of inactivity I joined clan TNT, with whom I still reside today.

When the planetfortress forums changed to their new style I changed my name to something less controversial (Vanquish) and moved on to the catacombs forums (http://www.thecatacombs.net/forums), where I was asked to run their TFC server for them. Things went well for a while, however nobody played on the server due to ping issues and not enough community knowledge of it (my fault I'll admit, I simply didn't have the time to put into something that required so much time).

Being a member of the TPF community I always went out of my way to help newer players. I can't count the number of people I've taught to conc, bhop, rocketjump, pipejump, speed snipe, etc. To this day I still run into people I don't know who claim I taught them some skill or other and thank me for it.

If anyone would be up for a game sometime you can drop me a line on here or shoot me an email at god_tpf@hotmail.com.

Happy hunting.
o_vanquish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 07:35 PM   #12
o_sobe green

I can't remember the exact year I started playing. I know I bought an 8mb video card just because it came with the HL demo. I remember being extremely excited about it and after saving up money I bought HL:GOTY Edition which came with TFC 1.1 I think. Either way I played it off and on for a little bit until the update came that gave us flagrun. I still remember the first time I played I'd hold down the F key and it'd launch me in the air. I thought it was a rocket pack and would often tell people I was using my rocket pack until one day someone said "Dude your not letting go of your grenades". This of course opened a whole new world to me. Thats what I got semi serious into some clan play. I remember when it was ok to recruit a guy in a public server. I remember getting a decently sized clan and just playing for fun. I never played for one of the more popular clans but I've played with alot of the guys and seen them play. Somewhere in there I made my switch to CS. I played TFC alot less and played CS alot more. The one thing that will forever split TFC and CS is the community. TFC leagues allowed custom models, and for some, a friendly hook. CS leagues allowed NOTHING fun, and the players would rather insult each other than play with each other. Hope to see the same thing happen with this mod (good community I mean)
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #13
o_km

Have you posted any of the mod info on the SA forums yet?

Usually get a lot of attention on their games forums, and could be a good way of getting more publicity along with other popular forums.
o_km is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #14
o_spud

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Nice post rebo.

And hi koolmod :P

As for me.

I got HL when it came out and was enjoying it muchly, got about half way through and then noticed there was a multiplayer for it. Spent a week on the deathmatch and then found there was something called TFC. My gosh how complicated, it came with this big html manual and was daunting to say the least. I booted it up and started to attempt to kill things.
Found this gun placement thing that looked similar to the ones in HL except it had cool painted eyes and even grin on it. I stood behind, pressed E and proceeded to own every body that walked in front of me. A helpful chap would come along every now and then and hit this gun. I asked him why he was trying to destroy the gun with a spanner and he said he was restocking and repairing it. OH! What a nice team player.
I stood there for another 5 mins enjoying the immense feel of power as I 'controlled' the gun. Gosh my aim was good I thought.

Needless to say I never returned to HL. I spent my early days progressing from utter n00b to vaguely competant.

My first clan trial was for a fun looking clan by the name of Darksun. I was a nervous wreck but believed in my ability. I was pretty certain I could make the required "Get more then 0 kills" to get in. Hurrah and I did.

My first taste of clan play was for clanbase versus some 'pretty good clan' called Digital Warefare. Ho-hums... come match day, our average ping being just over 200 and DW's just under 60 I could tell we perhaps we facing something rather dominating. Think DW managed about at least 20 caps on 2fort with a well placed SG in our front door stopping nearly all our attack attempts before the map finished :P
I was stunned to see that we had managed to get a cap out though. Not sure godly force let us do that.

Anyway my TFC life got pretty boring soon after that. Ironically due to clanbase scoring system being shite DS were soon 2nd to DW in the league charts just by playing and beating a load of crap clans. Hoho.

Time to speed up my waffle. After DS failed to snatch the Irish TFC league title from BtB (rofl) we disbanded and I was free. I joined a clan called KILLAH (ace name no?) with Andy (And1e). Shortly after this we merged with a european clan (austrian?) called EXO and the almighty KILLEX was formed. I was promoted to Offence Team Leader because we had things like that back then and we nursed our wounds upon finding that a (decent) brand of weed-killer had named itself after us but yea anyway thats another story.

Speeding things up again my clan life more or less went :

Darksun - KILLEX - SCW (with some odd things inbetween).

I departed the TFC gaming scene when I turned student slacker and Uni due to a combination of div1/prem egos making life no fun and also some shifting work priorities. I found myself missing the game though and have now joined team.jolt in an attempt to ease myself back into some light-hearted gaming fun.

TFC was the game for me always even during that dangerous CS stint around beta 7.0 because of its fast gameplay, physic and gameplay engine reward system (you can easily see the time and effort one puts into learning skills such as concing and bhing) and of course the legion of ace people that make up the TFC community. Theres nothing quite like it.

Think i've (not) entertained you all enough now and will give someone else a chance to waffle instead. Thanks for reading :P
o_spud is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:37 PM   #15
o_d3pth charge

that was an entertaining story. i spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out what this "human controlled turret gun" was in TFC before I realized you were talking about a sentry gun,

Old 01-24-2005, 07:13 AM   #16
o_sobe green

Hah and I thought my "Rocket Pack" was bad. You have to admit though, those dumb things we all done seem to add some kind of warm feeling to the game. I don't think the CS community has ever made me feel like the TFC community does. Its weird...I think these are magic brownies...yumm...
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2005, 08:13 AM   #17
o_thedarkone

The first time I played TFC was when my friend brought over his copy of Hl on the net. I'm not sure which version it was, but it had a seperate CD for Hl, OP4 and TFC.

Anyway, I had no idea what was going on because it was TFC's birthday.

Old 01-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #18
o_viruz

Being someone outside of the clan box, I think my input should be valid.

I had played QWTF a long time ago. It might have even been just QTF at that point in time. The game was way too fast for my liking at first but as I played a bit more as the soldier class I started to like it. Of course, I stopped playing this mod in favor of Console games. If you remember, this was about the time the N64 was released, dreamcast, etc. So being an avid console gamer I hit that up for a while.

Somewhere around 98 I think was when I first saw TFC. My cousin had bought TFC from a local store and was testing it out. Nothing looked too fun about it until he chose Sniper.

Welcome to my obsession, lol.

So from that point on I had played as Sniper or Soldier due to my previous experience with a fortress mod. I'm still a little shady on what year I started playing. I do remember dustbowl being released. I remember my favorite map being released (murderball). I also remember being on the only perminant murderball server a lot of the time (Lucifer's Flower's). As with a lot of people in the community, I probably took a year or longer off due to boredom.

Initially, I would say my biggest draw to TFC was the sniper class. Something about that sound when you put that red dot on someones head and gibbed their whole body. Just reminded me of the movie Cadyshack II where Dan Akroid hands the guy the binnoculars (sp?) and keeps repeating "keep your eye on the fruuuit", and hit's a watermelon in the distance with an exploding golfball. Good stuff.

I'm looking forward to playing sniper in the new mod, as well as soldier and engineer. I'd love to see another murderball map. As well as a kick ass dustbowl. Those where the style of maps that had well over 10,000 players addicted to TFC at one point.

Did any of you use Kali as your game browser? Odd question, but that was probably the only game browser I knew of back in those days.

-viruz
o_viruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2005, 04:11 PM   #19
o_gritty

I started playing TFC back in 99 in the old UK wireplay community. Pretty much from day one i made the scout my own and went from constant flag capturing on public servers to not quite so constant (but still quite prolific ) 'capping' in clan matches. These were days originally where concing was felt to be tricky and the community taught itself and educated itself on how best to play the game and the different jumps and tricks you could do.
I still remember being shown and for the first time and completing a conc jump from the water in rock 2 straight thro the balc windows and the grin it gave me (thanks Mr_Pilsbury where ever you are)

Anyway i was always really an offense player but learnt every class in the game to a good standard clanwise.

Yet even now years after ive left TFC the skills from playing TFC scout in terms of crazy dodging and still painting my target serve me well in other FPS games.

Im looking forward to this MOD immensely, all TFC needs is a new paintjob and the old bugs fixed and we will have a hell of game, and i hope a large nice community playing it like before.

Favourite part of TFC hmmm.. apart from tasty concjumps would have to be circle strafing an SG.
For anyone new it involves spinning around the sides of an automatic cumputer controlled gun at a faster rate than it can spin... but not too fast so that you catch it up again! and taking it out with your nailgun... then in the case of a scout having to time diving out of the way at the right moment to avoid getting killed in the explosion. You may find yourself doing all this while someone trys to shotgun you as well, but if you still get out of the room with the flag youll be a man my son (hovis moment )

Best of luck to the FF lads with the mod
o_gritty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2005, 06:41 PM   #20
o_lillbrorsan

Long story short, i have played tfc since it came out and i still love it.
I want to thank you guys for creating FF and i hope that we in the community can give something back in the future
o_lillbrorsan is offline   Reply With Quote