Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #101
Axel Stryder

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
TF2 Might be fun for the OvsD'ers, maybe eventually there will be some kind of league started for that type of play. However it will definitely suck for the CTF lovers (clanners).

What i do hope, is that new people who try TF2 but still think there is a 'void' or who want to play more professional will port over to FF. That will only happen though if the word of FF is being spread enough on Forums and servers.

By the way, Off Topic: Is there a place where i could post question about certain problems i have in TFC? I don't see any 'help' section or anything similar on this forum. I didn't think i should make a new thread about this question that might be locked because it's been posted in the wrong spot.

Cheers

Axel

Last edited by Axel Stryder; 03-29-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Axel Stryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #102
PussyHunter
Proper bo!

tbh TF2 reminds me of what TFC was like when it 1st came out - no conc-jumping or bh etc.

There's probably a whole bunch of other exploits just waiting to be discovered
PussyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #103
ekiM
Arrogance is Bliss

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
The other two maps, were not playable.
I can't take seriously someone who misuses punctuation so egregiously.

The writing doesn't get better :

Quote:
2Fort is still a CTF map, but seemed to have the fewest changes of the classic maps.
Quote:
The double jump truly helps the agility, and even though he’s basically naked of armor, his quickness makes up for it.
Quote:
The Soldier was also a fun
I guess this is confirmation : TF2 is targeted at people who cannot handle complex gameplay elements, let alone communication through the English language.

Last edited by ekiM; 03-29-2007 at 11:16 AM.
ekiM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #104
allisvoid
what is tfc?

basically... but it still looks like it'd be fun.

who knows. no one here has played it.
allisvoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #105
DEATHSTRIKER6666
expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekiM
TF2 is targeted at people who cannot handle complex gameplay elements, let alone communication through the English language.
LOLS YES YES BUT NO U C? I LANGUAGE OF THE ENGLISH AM MASTER EXPERT MUCH, BUT NOT TF2 GOOD WILL THINK SADLY
DEATHSTRIKER6666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #106
GhOsT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PussyHunter
tbh TF2 reminds me of what TFC was like when it 1st came out - no conc-jumping or bh etc.

There's probably a whole bunch of other exploits just waiting to be discovered
I was just about to post exactly this. Just because something was removed does not mean that there won't be other things that people discover.

Also, to the people saying the 5 maps are just going to be like warpath should read the article again. They are going to be a combination of command point and territory control (I can't look at the article now but I think it was something like that). The game mode they described for Hydro was more than just a series of command points in a line you must control. It sounded more involved than that.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #107
Uncle-Argon

I think the change from ctf to territorial control will benefit public play. Virtually nobody bothers with defending or capturing the flag on pub servers anymore, but if you look at dustbowl or avanti servers everybody is gunning for the objective. I think this will make pub play a little more team and objective orientated, which will hopefully make things more interesting.

I have a bad feeling that TF2 might play fairly slowly, certainly in comparison to TFC. All this talk of support classes and class A v class B encounters, along with the loss of concing and bunny hopping, all gives the feeling that the gameplay is going to be much more slow and considered. Now, when we first started playing, I'm sure we all did things like swim through the water way as a spy on 2fort and come up behind the snipers to knife them. At first, the fun of doing it was worth the time it took, but now I just want to be amongst the action again as quickly as possible. I get the feeling that TF2 is going to be too slow. Once the novelty wears off, I hope it doesn't start to drag.

Its strange how things go in cycles. I always used to get fed up of the original TF players moaning about all the changes in TFC; to me it seemed, and still does, like the perfect game. I'd want to tell them to grow up and accept that things have moved on. I guess its harder than I thought.
Uncle-Argon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #108
luminous

Quote:
So while there won’t be grates on aqueducts to blow up for the Demoman, or an elevator shaft in 2fort, you’ll see trains in Well, or a stairway where an elevator shaft used to be
Quote:
Even Well is now a Capture Point match
"woo frickin hoo"

luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 02:16 PM   #109
hf_

Quote:
Originally Posted by PussyHunter
I agree. the way TFC is played today is not the way valve intended it to be. rocket jumping, concs, and bhopping took away a lot of the class differentiation, and people started leaning towards certain classes over others. if you look at when TFC was REALLY popular, back around 2000 when there were over 300 clans in OGL, bhopping wasn't around, and the level of conc/movement was extremely limited when compared to today.

Obviously TF2 is going to be a much different game than TFC, and it should offer a fresh change of gameplay for experienced TF veterans. I look forward to finding out all of the game's nuances.
hf_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #110
VICE
Corned Beef Marmalade

Send a message via AIM to VICE
Before 1016 patch, concing was wide open. demo and HW had 4 MIRVS and everyone else had more nades total.

as for TF2, it will be fun. I dont' doubt that. I will be playing FF first however.
VICE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 05:45 PM   #111
yank

I like their approach. They are tending to the masses. can't blame them for that.
yank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #112
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICE
I will be playing FF first however.
we hope!
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #113
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Considering I wasn’t too familiar with the new nuances of these maps my life as an Engineer was short. I also found it interesting that Engineers in TF2 actually tend to build Ammo dispensers, which was something rarely found in TFC matches.
Err...

Quote:
First off, the Medic now truly matters. Instead of being a different class to conc jump all over the place, the Medic is definitely everyone’s best friend.
Errrrr...

Quote:
Pyro
The nastiest class to run into when turning a corner. The flamethrower produces a massive amount of damage over a short range, making the Pyro the most lethal close-quarter class there is. Pyros are often seen playing a defensive role near the front line, ambushing enemies as they enter tight spaces. On offense, they're terrific at harassing the enemy's defense, since it's hard to maintain a solid defensive line when you're on fire.
Primary Weapon: Flamethrower
Secondary Weapon: Shotgun
Melee Weapon: Fire axe

The Pyro makes close quarters much more interesting. In ranged situations he’s more or less worthless...
Errrrrrrr...

Quote:
For those who loved the CTF aspect of Team Fortress Classic, we’ve got some bad news. Only one map out of the box will support it, and that’s 2Fort. The other maps will either be Capture Point Matches or Territorial Control maps.
Er- *cough*

Well from what this guy said, he does not know a lot about the real depth of the community. Medic "just another O" class? Maybe I was the only medic in TFC, ever, who actually healed and buffed people then. \=

Engineers do not build dispensers? Yeah, that whole "one-hit-kill trap around a corner" was so useless.

Pyros are useless at long range? Well they are now that you bastards took out the IC, one of the counters against snipers. gg Valve

Only one CTF map out of the box? I guess Valve is trying to force the player's hand and make him play TF their way. Well, at least...

Quote:
While I didn’t play the Xbox 360 or PS3 version of TF2, I have a feeling I’ll be mostly playing the PC version for a number of reasons. First off, I have a feeling the mod community will be all over this. Considering the fact that Valve is straying from some CTF maps, and changing things here and there, not only do I bet that all of the TFC maps will be faithfully recreated somehow, but we’ll see the return of some of the other game type mods like Push and Murderball see their way back somehow.
For all of the stupid things this guy has said, at least he is right on this. The community loves CTF and it modders will be sure to bring things back.

(Would it no be deliciously ironic if FF's release maps got ported into TF2 because of the community hating their release maps? I would love to see a bunch of ff_well servers, hehe).

He also brings up an interesting point... one of the things that has prolonged the TFC community was all of the player-released maps. Are 360 and PS3 players going to be screwed on that?

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #114
Fail

I'm sorry but if you're getting snipered by IC rockets then you must have the reflexes of a sloth in a coma.
Fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #115
Vendicator

WTF WTF WTF...

I didn't read all the posts, and i don't care to, way to many, however i DID read the crap interview that just made me want to never even play TF2 once!!!!

Difference between FF and TF2 is simple...

FF is what the TFC community wants, and TF2 is what noob counter-strike like players want... wow... holy crap so gay..

Double jump more versatile than a conc? Since when, can he even hand-held?? does he even know wtf that is...

TF2 had no interaction with the community, just thoughts from noobs... TF2 is going to SUCK balls...

TF2 i was looking forward to concing and stuff like that, and the intervention of grenades and a nice balance of power and radius...

As far as the class weaknesses... theres plenty in TFC... and as far as playing a scout compared to a medic... id rather play scout in MANY situations then a medic... the guy being interviewed, and all of the TF2 crew for that matter don't know wtf they are talking about.. they killed TF2 and definitely made me no longer want to even THINK about buying TF2...

Fortress Forever - By the community For the Community... the way it should be!

If I had a million dollars right now, id give it to the Dedicated members of FF... they deserve it... not valve, ohhh no... not valve in any degree... their shit game has ruined the name of Team Fortress... I hope all realize that FF is and will be proven better then TF2 and that TF2 dies because of FF... that is my dream and Id love to watch it unfold before my eyes...
Vendicator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #116
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fail
I'm sorry but if you're getting snipered by IC rockets then you must have the reflexes of a sloth in a coma.
Hehe, you get pwntz by the IC now. If you see that flaming skull coming your way, you better move your ass quick, lol.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2007, 11:22 PM   #117
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fail
ICs were meant as the counter to sniper.

You do not fire one at a sniper, you fire a volley over an area so no matter where the sniper goes he gets lit up. Either way he has to move and take cover or he gets set on fire, which is effectively doing its job.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 12:16 AM   #118
Fail

Where doe sit say they were meant as a counter to snipers? Any weapon works like that except the IC cannon takes time to get there and has splash. If I spam my shotgun at him I'm doing the same thing. Does make that shotgun an anti-sniper weapon? Not really. If a sniper is being dominated by IC fire then quite frankly it's due to the sniper being an inept moron not able to comprehend the act of firing his bullet and moving to another location before the IC rocket hits an hour later.
Fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 12:49 AM   #119
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

^but what if there are 4 pyros behind him , 6 charging at him and 3 in his base somewhere and 3 below him?...Whats he gonna do now? run? yeah run

Old 03-30-2007, 01:23 AM   #120
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: Soldier, O
Gametype: Doubble Mode
Affiliations: Cassiotone Nation
First of all, the splash radius on IC rockets was insane. Even if the sniper managed to get out of the way of it, he had to practically be back in his spawn to do it. Second, because it was so big, snipers tended to get hit no matter what. If you were on their side of the bridge in 2fort they couldn't get out of range before the rocket hit (practically). Third, the fire went through walls so a lot of the time the sniper couldn't even see the rocket at all especially if he was zoomed in. 4th, the flames were more effective against snipers than any other class, as a sniper charging his gun couldn't easily move foreward to clear the flames from their vision like other clases could.

So, in conclusion, the IC is an anti-sniper weapon.