Old 03-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
R.U.S.E. Beta

Anyone get around to playing this? Anyone got a decent build order? Anyone know if there are any actual hotkeys? Anyone know why my supply trucks take a fucking millenium to cross the battlefield? etc
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
This game blows imo. All you have to do is pile up big tanks and anti air as fast as you can to overpower your enemy and you're done. And multi crashes ALL THE TIME. I'm sure the final game will be much better tho. I find it even harder to manage all your shit than in Starcraft for example. The ruses, ack.. I fucking hate them lol.

Yeah that's about it.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
sequel to R.A.F.F.?
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Bridget
Banned

My problems so far:
  • It's all about macromanagement, and it's not even fun.
  • There are no solid means of income. You're always broke.
  • There are units that fire across the fucking map.
  • Sometimes, your units don't do anything you tell them to do.
  • No way to tell the health of your individual units! (Then again, it's a macro RTS)
  • There are no hotkeys, it seems. RTS FAIL.
  • The RUSEs are absolutely useless. Seriously.

It just feels like a generic macro-spam RTS trying to be innovative with the whole 'know where your enemy is, but not what your enemy is.' stuff. The game is slow in terms of getting an economy up (and general speed, I guess that's what happens when you attempt to recreate an entire country on screen), but once you get a hefty sum of money all you have to do is spam units out and rush the enemy. This game is all about who amasses the biggest army first, not who uses it wisely, which kinda makes the innovations pointless.

Getting an economy up is a joke. There is a building that costs $100 that generates $1 every 4 seconds. What a lame building. Do you expect me to wait 5 or so minutes just to get back what I paid for that building? There's no way that will give you any good money.

The Supply Depots? That's not sufficient enough. The Supply Depots send out 3 VERY SLOW MOVING trucks every 10 seconds that must reach a HQ before dropping up to $15 cash. The Supply Depots are so far away from the starting base that the cash will roll in so slowly and building a secondary HQ will just have you wasting cash. Even controlling 3/4 of the Supply Depots, I have never reached $1,000

Units feel like junk units. All units that can interact with all other units do well against each other. The units that you expect to do only well against tanks do just as good versus organic or structural units. There's an anti-air and anti-tank unit for each team, and whoever amasses those first controls the entire field. In addition, there are too many long-range artillery units in this game. I was barraging my enemy's base from my own base, entrenched behind anti-air, anti-tank, and anti-personnel bunkers. I also had medium-range arty raining on his sdepots. That's some bullshit. Even I can admit to that being cheap as hell.

You know why I did that? I didn't want to wait a decade for my moving targets to cross the battlefield. Even with the Blitz Ruse in effect, they still move slower than a snail.

Last edited by Bridget; 03-15-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #5
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

You should send that to the devs, give them a heads up why their game sucks. I agree with all of it.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Thanks for everyone saving me the wasted time of downloading and trying it!
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #7
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
O_O

You guys are nuts. But, just because I'm in a good mood.

Quote:
It's all about macromanagement, and it's not even fun.
Seriously? Yeah, against the easy AI it sure is. Against a player, if you're macroing and winning you're playing against somebody without hands.

Quote:
There are no solid means of income. You're always broke.
That's sort of the point. There's a reason there are some 7 different unit producing buildings with units that can be upgraded while also being expensive. You're not SUPPOSED to be macroing to begin with.

Quote:
There are units that fire across the fucking map.
Yeah, it's called artillery. If you notice somebody is building artillery (I.E. you haven't scouted and your shits all fucked), you can simply unfuck your shit with smart usage of various RUSEs.

Hell, you can win in 10 minutes with smart uses of the RUSEs.

Quote:
Sometimes, your units don't do anything you tell them to do.
I don't know what this means. If you're right clicking to issue a movement command you should probably stop.

Quote:
No way to tell the health of your individual units! (Then again, it's a macro RTS)
Zoom in, even just slightly, and you can see a rough estimate of the health of your units. Infantry have fewer numbers, vehicles start to blacken and fall apart.

Outside of combat, things regenerate.

Quote:
There are no hotkeys, it seems. RTS FAIL.
Yeah, that does suck. The only real hotkeys that are needed are building hotkeys. Can't say that unit hotkeys matter when you can zoom out to see the entire map instantly.

Quote:
The RUSEs are absolutely useless. Seriously.
Yeah, those enemies that can shoot you across the map? You can beat those with the smart use of a few RUSEs and some tanks or infantry. For example, mixing real units with fake units is great against artillery. Or, radio silence in a line to the enemy, that works as well. Or, get a few heavy units and flip their size in key sectors to make the enemy think you're sending infantry instead of some tanks.

The only RUSE that sucks is the fake base RUSE. Everything else has both specific and abstract purposes.

For example, call in a dummy assault somewhere and then take control of those units and mix them in with your own and then shift their size in the sectors leading up to the enemy (or radio silence). When attacking, use Decryption on the sector where the enemies units are and see how they react to the situation.

ETA: There's a reason you get some 10 in a 25 minute game with most lasting 5 minutes at a time.

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Credge; 03-18-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #8
Bridget
Banned

There are hot-keys. They're just not enabled by default in the options. The game isn't that bad, I actually have some fun playing with my friends. It's just, coming from different RTS games, you feel the game is lacking in some areas. I am used to being able to get an economy up fast in Starcraft, for example.

Last edited by Bridget; 03-18-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
best game ever

Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
Bridget
Banned

that's subjective

Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
Oh god. Yet another war game.

edit: looks a bit like "Men of War Assault"

Last edited by Paft; 03-04-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
O_O

You guys are nuts. But, just because I'm in a good mood.

Seriously? Yeah, against the easy AI it sure is. Against a player, if you're macroing and winning you're playing against somebody without hands.

That's sort of the point. There's a reason there are some 7 different unit producing buildings with units that can be upgraded while also being expensive. You're not SUPPOSED to be macroing to begin with.

Yeah, it's called artillery. If you notice somebody is building artillery (I.E. you haven't scouted and your shits all fucked), you can simply unfuck your shit with smart usage of various RUSEs.

Hell, you can win in 10 minutes with smart uses of the RUSEs.

I don't know what this means. If you're right clicking to issue a movement command you should probably stop.

Zoom in, even just slightly, and you can see a rough estimate of the health of your units. Infantry have fewer numbers, vehicles start to blacken and fall apart.

Outside of combat, things regenerate.

Yeah, that does suck. The only real hotkeys that are needed are building hotkeys. Can't say that unit hotkeys matter when you can zoom out to see the entire map instantly.

Yeah, those enemies that can shoot you across the map? You can beat those with the smart use of a few RUSEs and some tanks or infantry. For example, mixing real units with fake units is great against artillery. Or, radio silence in a line to the enemy, that works as well. Or, get a few heavy units and flip their size in key sectors to make the enemy think you're sending infantry instead of some tanks.

The only RUSE that sucks is the fake base RUSE. Everything else has both specific and abstract purposes.

For example, call in a dummy assault somewhere and then take control of those units and mix them in with your own and then shift their size in the sectors leading up to the enemy (or radio silence). When attacking, use Decryption on the sector where the enemies units are and see how they react to the situation.

ETA: There's a reason you get some 10 in a 25 minute game with most lasting 5 minutes at a time.
what this guy said also if you think a game sucks because your bad it is just sad.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #13
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiDi View Post
what this guy said also if you think a game sucks because your bad it is just sad.
Seems to be it's 'cause the game isn't Starcraft that it sucks.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote