Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Debates & Arguments

Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Bully get's owned

Both kids got suspended. The little kid for a long time, the big kid for like 4 days.

So my question is, do you think the school made the right decision by suspending the larger kid for defending himself from a bully?

Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Icculus
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
While you never want to teach that violence is the answer the reality is that sometimes it can be very effective. This kid got what was coming to him as far as i'm concerned and the school should not have suspended the bigger kid for defending himself if that's all it was. We only saw a short video and don't know what led to this.

-Icculus
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
This video went viral last week(I think). I do agree that the one being bullied should not have gotten suspended. Shame of it is, this isn't a new policy. I've been on the receiving end of such suspensions. It's ok, I got my revenge.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
This video went viral last week(I think). I do agree that the one being bullied should not have gotten suspended. Shame of it is, this isn't a new policy. I've been on the receiving end of such suspensions. It's ok, I got my revenge.
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six. I've always told my kids to defend themselves and we'll sort it out later. "If I find out you were the instigator your troubles will be multiplied." Sometimes violence is the only response when you're dealing with a bully. Depending on the school to protect you is like depending on the police. They're only there to find out what happened after the fact.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2011, 01:51 AM   #5
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc View Post
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six. I've always told my kids to defend themselves and we'll sort it out later. "If I find out you were the instigator your troubles will be multiplied." Sometimes violence is the only response when you're dealing with a bully. Depending on the school to protect you is like depending on the police. They're only there to find out what happened after the fact.
Yeah. That's about it. In my case, the bullies always had their "stories straight"(if you know what I mean). Personally, I think this video showed the opposite of what the victims detractors are saying. They all say that he should have shown restraint, and not gotten physical. He did show restraint... he was punched several times before he used force, and from what I saw, he used enough force to stop the attack, and then walked away. Had he been the bully, he would have dropped on top of that kid, and proceeded to beat the shit out of him until others physically restrained him. He didn't... he walked away. I hope his parents sue the dogshit out of the bullies parents.

I was in a situation back in Jr. High School(9th grade), where I got the ever-loving shit beat by 10 other kids. They had the audacity to jump me right in front of the principals office. When they were done with me(I think a couple of teachers were yelling "stop that! STOP THAT!")... my face(and shirt) was covered in blood. I stood up, and smiled at each and every person standing around me(this wasn't the first time I was beaten like that)... as if to say, "What? Is that the best you've got?" I never had a chance to defend myself in that one. Guess who got suspended? Yep... me. Not a single one of them did, just me.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 03-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I would have found my way to their house with a lead pipe. Every fucking one of them. That's the thing about small town schools, you know where everyone lives.

We had a lot of pseudogangsters in mine. One started making threats, pulled a pocket knife and damned near got himself killed on school grounds for it. He tattles, they don't find anything (we all gave them to a 3rd party) and then he ups the ante, claims he's packing. One of my friends actually did, brought a stolen 9mm to school, showed it to him, told him to man up. The kid dropped out not long after, but we never had another problem with him.

We were the unpopular kids: band nerds, gamers, harmless stoners. Most of us generally intelligent, some in the top 5% of the school, the rest were just fucking retarded. But we were sincerely afraid of being hurt on campus and so we had to be armed. The thugs brought knives and razors to school - never used them, or so I remember, but we knew they had them - and I have no doubt they would have used them on a few of us had they not known we were far more violent than they.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times

Old 03-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
LOL That is epic.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Ahh, the good ol days when faculty had more common sense, or were atleast allowed to act on it.

There was this guy in my highschool who was a little rough around the edges. But there was some guy from the big city who for whatever reason had it out for this guy. So the city kid drove out to our town and just waited for him outside the school.

Well city kids just don't understand how tough farm boys can be. The fight ended when our guy got tired of hitting the city kid in the face. This was right outside the principal's office, and the principal actually sorta heard about the full story. So after the fight he walked out there told our guy to come to his office. Sat him down and said... "This is just a formality", then sent him on his way. The principal just needed to give the illusion that the kid was getting a talking to about getting into a fight.

Now granted we can't know the full situation with these 2 kids in the video, but if I were to make an opinion based on just the video alone, I would say the way the little kid didn't actually seem mad at the big kid and was looking to start a real fight, he was acting more like in a taunting/joking manner, that the big kid really was being picked on.

So the big guy dropped him, and walked away, didn't continue to beat on him like someone would do if they weren't in control of their emotions. Based on the video alone, the big guy did everything right. As a parent I wouldn't even think about punishing him, and would be super pissed at the school for being a bunch of retards.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
battery
D&A Member

The correct response for the big kid is to proceed straight to the dean's office and report the misconduct. However, I really don't think suspension is the right kind of punishment. Rather, he should be educated that fist fights often turn into assaults with deadly weapons. It is better to walk away no matter how big he thinks he is.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Yea, he should head right to the principal's office and tell them that some kid hit him, so the school does pretty much nothing but slap the bully on the wrist, and when he leaves the principal's office, he faces an entire day of ostracization and general abandonment by his peers. School officials don't exactly give out detentions for mean words, so for the rest of his school career, he'll face unrelenting name-calling and ostracization.

Good call.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
Yea, he should head right to the principal's office and tell them that some kid hit him, so the school does pretty much nothing but slap the bully on the wrist, and when he leaves the principal's office, he faces an entire day of ostracization and general abandonment by his peers. School officials don't exactly give out detentions for mean words, so for the rest of his school career, he'll face unrelenting name-calling and ostracization.

Good call.
Yeah. Sad isn't it? The "big kids" story would have fallen on deaf ears, because it then reverts to a "he said/she said" arguement. It's good that this was on video, because it does show he was defending himself. That was exactly the way he should have handled the situation. I don't think he should have been suspended, but if you look at it from the right point of view, the suspension means nothing but a couple days vacation for standing up for himself. If I was his father, I would have told him that he did the right thing, and to enjoy his vacation. Hell, I'd probably buy him a video game or something, to help him pass the time... and as a reward for doing the right thing.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery View Post
The correct response for the big kid is to proceed straight to the dean's office and report the misconduct. However, I really don't think suspension is the right kind of punishment. Rather, he should be educated that fist fights often turn into assaults with deadly weapons. It is better to walk away no matter how big he thinks he is.
You honestly think the principal is going to buy the: "A younger, smaller kid was beating me up. Stop that, please." story? Big kid did exactly what he should've done. Made sure the little kid wasn't going to keep fighting, AND NO MORE than that. The fact that he didn't sit on him and start wailing on him shows more maturity than I think a lot of people would've shown in a similar situation.

I'm with you, Iggy.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #14
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
You honestly think the principal is going to buy the: "A younger, smaller kid was beating me up. Stop that, please." story? Big kid did exactly what he should've done. Made sure the little kid wasn't going to keep fighting, AND NO MORE than that. The fact that he didn't sit on him and start wailing on him shows more maturity than I think a lot of people would've shown in a similar situation.

I'm with you, Iggy.
+1

Takes a lot of restraint from not beating the kid even more.

Though, it was a very dangerous that he lifted him up and dropped him on his neck/head, could of been really bad.

I hope the "fat" kid watched to video a few hundred times for laughter, the little one was completely messed up.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2011, 01:44 AM   #15
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

that lil nig prolly still limpin around

Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
I agree. No one would have bought this kid's story. I got into a lot of fights in school and the only reason I got in small amounts of trouble is because I'm short and no disciplinarian believed that I started or instigated the fight. In my case, it happened to be to true, I never started the fights.

In this kids case it is also true, however since he is twice the size of his attacker it is unlikely anyone would believe that he didn't start the fight. He looks like the bully, therefore he is the bully. Without a video, he's guilty for being tall.

With no teacher's around he did the right thing. There was no adult to break up that fight and explain anything to those children, they were on their own and this kid waited, and tried to get out without violence. When he realized he couldn't, he finished the fight quickly. More power too him.

Also, outside of school, how many kids who got into fights find themselves in situations where they even can get into fights? Seriously think about it. I got into fights almost every single day in school. As soon as I graduated I was always on the look out for someone to attack me and I still am a little twitchy when it comes to people in my peripheral. But I haven't gotten into a fist fight since I was 18 and still in high school. Adults don't want to punch you, that means they go to jail. Kids just get suspended.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote