Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Old 09-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
DrFire

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Concussion Grenade Jumping

What is the best way to jump using concussion nades? I've seen my friends fly really far, but all I can get is a small boost. Can someone show me what is the best technique to do this?
DrFire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
Da Spadger
Insert stupid title here.

Be on the outer edge of the conc blast. It'll give you the most push.
Da Spadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
halo

It's best to learn hand-held concs first I think. They're the most versatile and easy to use when you're being shot at. Hold the conc, using the visual timer at the bottom of your screen, until it's just about to explode, then jump. It takes practice to get the timing right consistantly but you can go quite a long way. And high too.

Low jumps are useful for areas with a cieling and you can use them to hit ramps. If you conced into a ramp then you'll slide up it and over the top. The most common use of that is the ramp leading to the Shutdown2 Flag Room.
halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo
It's best to learn hand-held concs first I think. They're the most versatile and easy to use when you're being shot at. Hold the conc, using the visual timer at the bottom of your screen, until it's just about to explode, then jump. It takes practice to get the timing right consistantly but you can go quite a long way. And high too.

Low jumps are useful for areas with a cieling and you can use them to hit ramps. If you conced into a ramp then you'll slide up it and over the top. The most common use of that is the ramp leading to the Shutdown2 Flag Room.
While HH is the most useful, its not the easiest way to learn.

Really, probably the best way to get practice is to toss the conc on the ground, position yourself in front of it, and as it goes off, jump. Keep an eye on your timer and the sounds, jump just as it is about to activate and you'll be flung for a goodly distance.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
BoltR

Hmm, someone should write an 'advanced FF concing ' or 'trick jumping guide' which includes all the little tricks you can do for extra velocity and such. I'd do it, but I'm sure I would miss something.
BoltR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
THBRonx
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltR
Hmm, someone should write an 'advanced FF concing ' or 'trick jumping guide' which includes all the little tricks you can do for extra velocity and such. I'd do it, but I'm sure I would miss something.
...and maybe examples@youtube =D
THBRonx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
sycsummit
Awake and Unafraid

Send a message via AIM to sycsummit
it will probably be just a matter of time till the old concjump/rocketjump/etc maps are redone for ff... thats how I learned all that stuff...
sycsummit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 AM   #8
Zatoichi

i was going to horde this...but here. this script basically plays the conc sound from your computer not bouncing it off the server..therefore its mostly lagless, all you need to do is jump right at the very end of the final set of beeps(your timing may be a tad different then mine). also setting your grenades to double tap helps alot. this works well for me..my ping at night is usually over 300 with 30+ loss...but if my loss gets higher i still miss some concs.

alias kgren1_throw "+gren1;wait;spk default;alias kgren1 kgren1_drop"
alias kgren1_drop "throwgren;alias kgren1 kgren1_throw"
alias kgren2_throw "+gren2;wait;spk default;alias kgren2 kgren2_drop"
alias kgren2_drop "throwgren;alias kgren2 kgren2_throw"
alias kgren1 kgren1_throw
alias kgren2 kgren2_throw
bind f kgren1
bind g kgren2

IF YOU WANT A DIFFERENT TIMER JUST CHANGE DEFAULT TO WHATEVER TIMER YOU USE.
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 02:46 AM   #9
BoltR

The thing is, in FF there is more to concing than just proper jump timing...
BoltR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 02:59 AM   #10
Zatoichi

umm i was referring to drFires post.
"What is the best way to jump using concussion nades? I've seen my friends fly really far, but all I can get is a small boost. Can someone show me what is the best technique to do this?"
proper timing will certainly boost his concs....

and so far its not a whole lot different then tfc..a few aspects but once i got timing down..i was concing almost as good as tfc..i imagine after my new video card comes and im not getting 10-40fps and whole bunch of stuttering ill be able to conc a bit better.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:40 AM   #11
DirkPitt

One of the tricks that its hard to pick up is that if you strafe into the jump you can fly farther with a hh. Hold the nade and right before it goes off run perpendicular to the direction you want to go and then jump while holding the strafe button and moving your mouse in the direction you want to go.

This isn't written very well and its much easier to show someone it so if you want me to show you sometime just pm me, or find me on irc.
DirkPitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 05:05 AM   #12
Mr. Happy
FF LOL

Anyone else finding it alot easier to HH in FF than in TFC? I used to hit maybe 1 in 20 HH's meaning I had to resort to spinning around while jumping and throwing the conc behined me just before it went off, but now I usually hit 1 in 4 HH's.

As for learning it, I usually recommend people start out with pipe jumping since you can carefully place and then tell the pipe when to go off, and the move on to water conc's since you can easily place your body, rocket jumps to get a better feel for angles, then placed conc's on the ground, then the backwards spin and then hh's.

For real fun though learn to emp jump
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 05:16 AM   #13
Zatoichi

yeah dirk they used to call that slingshotting in tfc(i think) but that was way back in teh day, it became a habit for me, i do it on every conc...worked well for straight line concing as well. strafe and sling the mouse to the opposite side of the strafe then towards it and jump all very quickly.
@mr.happy i was happy when i learned the engie could now HH nade jump without exploding..i cant do it in tfc.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:12 AM   #14
raidyr

Alright, I came from TFC so I know how to conc jump. However, which direction should I look in when about to jump with the hand-held one? I mostly use down, and it works about 50% of the time.
raidyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #15
Rojola

Look where you are going?
Rojola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 AM   #16
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
HH'ing is easier in FF than in TFC because of how the conc pushes you and where it actually goes off in an HH. It drops slightly right before going off, if you HH it. Gives a better push.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #17
Gunslinger

Which direction you are looking in does not matter, it is which direction you are moving in (and how fast and at what angle) which makes the difference.
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #18
qbaler

There are already some beta concmaps released and I recommend joining a server running a concmap to learn. Just go in to FF server list and typein "conc" for the mapname filter.
qbaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #19
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger
Which direction you are looking in does not matter, it is which direction you are moving in (and how fast and at what angle) which makes the difference.

unless you are banana concing and such

using strafe in conjunction with mouse movements can get you a considerable amount of extra distance (thank you air acceleration)
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 08:09 AM   #20
Gunslinger

Maybe, but it still doesn't give you any extra distance. You can conc as far going backwards (or sideways) as going forwards, in any situation. It's all how the movement is relative to each other; which direction your view is going matters not a jot.
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote