Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
o_jinx

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Vista Impressions So Far?

Just curious what people who have gotten it think. My friend Josh said he actually got an FPS boost in UT2k4.

The main issue people seem to have is driver support. For example, my friend Carey got it with her new computer, and she's had to install the drivers for her Wacom tablet three times and is generally irritated. She's an artist, so she has to have this stuff set up to do her work. Also, her keyboard is acting screwy with Vista. Are they afraid "protected content" might escape via the PS/2 port?!

Also, how does it compare to OSX in terms of looks, special effects, and general sexiness? Because my sister's boyfriend showed me it on his Mac last weekend, and god does OSX make Windows XP look positively archaic. Anyone know of a GUI that you can get to run "on top" of XP that will run things with full 3D card acceleration and special effects?
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
o_vampiricus

omg, MUST we have another Vista thread? Jeez man REALLY!
o_vampiricus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
o_uber

I made a fucking conglomerate thread, but no one listens.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Well, in all fairness, he did make a thread about a subject that was different from outright bashing. Alot of the discussion thus far has been conjecture or based on the various tech news outlets. I am interested in hearing about people's experiences. Especially if they own an iPOD and have tried to undock their device.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
o_jinx

Yeah, I'm just interested in impressions of people who have used it, we've already done lots of speculation.

Also, how it compares to OSX. Because OSX is sexy and if it worked on a PC I'd put it on here in a second.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
cue bl4h.... OH WAIT?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
o_stricknine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
Anyone know of a GUI that you can get to run "on top" of XP that will run things with full 3D card acceleration and special effects?
I believe a certain version of linux does that.
o_stricknine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
o_thraine

I've had a chance to use Vista Home Premium, and I believe it would work great... if you had 4 GB of RAM, a 3.8 GHz Dual Core processor, and two 512-MB SLI Video Cards. That's the only way it would be good for gaming.

We really can't blame Microsoft for lack of driver support, they're not the ones that are supposed to code them after all. And as far as I'm concerned, Aero beats out the OSX UI by a slight margin (by opinion, of course).

The thing we have to realize, is that Vista was designed to scale to emerging technologies. Just like XP ran 35% slower on a Pentium III, we have to expect a decrease in performance at least until next year.

I myself will probably not get Vista until they release a couple of service packs for it. Bill Gates himself said the security on it could use some improvement.
o_thraine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
o_heed

Rule of thumb for any windows OS...Wait for the second edition (e.g. Win95 OSR/2, Win98 SE, XP SP2...)
o_heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
o_vampiricus

i thought this thread was suppose to contain PEOPLE WHO ARE USING IT not people who *may* or *may not* use it.
o_vampiricus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
o_jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampiricuS
i thought this thread was suppose to contain PEOPLE WHO ARE USING IT not people who *may* or *may not* use it.
Based on the lack of responses, it sounds like almost nobody here actually got it lol.

I heard it's pretty pretty pretty though almost distractingly so (a little too much animation of things). Also, ever so slightly prettier than OSX.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
o_[ae] 5316 *tkz*

I'm going to get it today after work.. so Ill by happy to write up my personal review of it. (From install -> finally up and running).

I've heard a few friends of mine notice improvements in terms of FPS while gaming thru Vista, which is hard to believe considering how resource heavy the OS is.

Games that reported improvement so far: WoW, hl2, Anarchy Online, hl1 (various mods)

Ill fire up all my games once I'm done and see how they fare, performance wise.
o_[ae] 5316 *tkz* is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
o_loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 5316 *TKZ*
I'm going to get it today after work.. so Ill by happy to write up my personal review of it. (From install -> finally up and running).

I've heard a few friends of mine notice improvements in terms of FPS while gaming thru Vista, which is hard to believe considering how resource heavy the OS is.

Games that reported improvement so far: WoW, hl2, Anarchy Online, hl1 (various mods)

Ill fire up all my games once I'm done and see how they fare, performance wise.
Erm? Most people I have spoken to, and myself, have noticed a HUGE *drop* in FPS on all games.

Currently WoW runs at about 15FPS, CSS at 30FPS and TFC at about 10FPS.

Why? Lack of drivers atm.
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
o_[ae] 5316 *tkz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
Erm? Most people I have spoken to, and myself, have noticed a HUGE *drop* in FPS on all games.

Currently WoW runs at about 15FPS, CSS at 30FPS and TFC at about 10FPS.

Why? Lack of drivers atm.

I imagine individual machine spec's play a large factor in overall performance.

Everybody I spoke to are running new machines, +/- top of the line.

Just have to wait and see. If I notice a major drop in performance, then Ill revert back to XP, and shelf Vista till more drivers are available.

Tho, I did a pre install check last night, and there are Vista supported drivers for all of my hardware, so I'm not too worried. Hell, even my BIOS had a vista update available.. So thats all flashed up and ready to roll.

My specs, just incase you're curious:
AMD X2 4400+ Dual Core 2.2 Ghz (Cranked up to 2.6 whilst gaming)
MSI K9N Platinum Mobo
ATI Radion X1300 PCIe Vid Card (512MB mem)
2 gigs of Corsair TWINX DDR2 800Mhz (4x 512 - Dual Channel)
2 200 gig SATA 300 WD Hard drives (non raid)

I know my video card leaves a lot to be desired. Considering the mobo is nForce, I'll be dumping the card for a DX10 nVidia card once they drop in price.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #15
o_loader

lol...

So I used to be able to run wow at 60FPS, CSS at 70-80FPS, and TFC at the max (100fps) and now, since I installed Vista, I have had a huge drop in framerate?

Yarly.

My PC is more than capale of running Vista. Please put away your tiny e-peen and do something about that ego too.

(BTW: It's Vista Ultimate 64bit - Which may be why the drivers suck atm)
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #16
o_[ae] 5316 *tkz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
lol...

So I used to be able to run wow at 60FPS, CSS at 70-80FPS, and TFC at the max (100fps) and now, since I installed Vista, I have had a huge drop in framerate?

Yarly.

My PC is more than capale of running Vista. Please put away your tiny e-peen and do something about that ego too.

(BTW: It's Vista Ultimate 64bit - Which may be why the drivers suck atm)

Was that directed at me? I didn't think anything I said had any ego to it... You've got some hostility issues mate. (if it wasn't directed at me, then, nevermind)

Old 02-08-2007, 11:17 PM   #17
o_[ae] 5316 *tkz*

ok! First impressions:

Installation - Very easy, and from start to finish took just under an hour.
I was very happy to see the Install UI. It sure beat the hell out of staring at the old bluescreen during initial installtion of XP and previous.
The install screen was very straight forward. Answer a couple questions, and away it went.

* A note to those who upgrade: Make sure you turn the boot from CD option off in the bios, as the Vista install needs to restart several times during the install. So unless you want to sit at the screen for all of it, you'll be better off just turning boot from cd off.

Drivers - As I said in a previous post, I'd found all the drivers I needed for the Vista platform. They installed flawlessly, with no issues. So far, Everything is chugging along fine. Ram load is steady about 30% idle.

Interestingly, the CPU's registered very little activity while running Firefox. Overall load, CPU wise has been very low. Even during installation of a few games, it's not gone over 20%.. which was nice, as it allowed me to multitask even more.

Games- I'm installing hl2M, NS, and WoW as I type this... so I don't have any ruff numbers as far as performance goes there. I did fire up Anarchy-Online, and didn't notice any mentionable gain or loss perfermormance wise.
* I'll update this part later, when I'm done installing the other games.

Overall Impression:

Very clean OS. There are a ton of custom gadgets for the side bar. (Neat little hl2 server viewer too) All the little gadgets really come in handy.

I'm really thrilled w/ the little toys and how polished the look is. It's going to take me a lil while to figure out where they put everything... but over all, I'm happy with Vista so far.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #18
o_skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 5316 *TKZ*

My specs, just incase you're curious:
AMD X2 4400+ Dual Core 2.2 Ghz (Cranked up to 2.6 whilst gaming)
MSI K9N Platinum Mobo
ATI Radion X1300 PCIe Vid Card (512MB mem)
2 gigs of Corsair TWINX DDR2 800Mhz (4x 512 - Dual Channel)
2 200 gig SATA 300 WD Hard drives (non raid)

You're fucking rich.
o_skull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2007, 11:55 PM   #19
o_jinx

Ram load is steady about 30% idle.

You're telling me Vista uses 600mb of ram just sitting there?!

Old 02-09-2007, 12:04 AM   #20
o_[ae] 5316 *tkz*

Well, you have to take into account all the gadgets and services that run in the background.

By idle, I mean *I'm* not doing anything. But yea, the OS seems to keep a ton of stuff in the memory... and I'm sure most of that stuff is Aero, lol.