Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2006, 05:10 PM   #161
o_psycnet

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
In CS:S I frequent a no swearing server as basically my priority pub (has no awp/auto as well). Why? Not because I get to play with children, but because I DONT HAVE TO PLAY WITH IDIOTS!

Wait wait wait, let me repeat that

I DON'T HAVE TO PLAY WITH IDIOTS!

The server has a 1 - warning 1 - ban rule, and pretty much anyone who would make a huge fuss over the fact they swore is (commonly enough) an idiot anyhow. The server has the least amount of jerks and largest sense of community I've experienced since the old official [adult swim] servers went.

And why is that? Because jerks cannot communicate without swearing :/ Simply put.

I honestly think swear filters are more about weeding out the immature idiots rather than censoring children
o_psycnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 05:57 PM   #162
o_[o-t] scuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT
And why is that? Because jerks cannot communicate without swearing :/ Simply put.

I honestly think swear filters are more about weeding out the immature idiots rather than censoring children
We have witnessed this phenominon on many occasions. However, I don't like to accuse all people who swear of being immature idiots, nor is it a phenominon I can prove, which is why it isn't part of the argument.

Thanks,
Scuzzy
o_[o-t] scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #163
o_aftershock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT
this makes sense if you are talking about a public server which is full and you have a large proportion of players to choose from.

It does not make sense if you are lucky to get a handful of players online, and there is no such 'community' to protect.

Everyone that comes on that server should be classed as a friend and community member, since they will have found the ip from these forums - alienating them through a swear filter ban is ridiculous (on this FF server only!), and only cuts the already small number of people who might join.

I can see why the filter would work elsewhere.
o_aftershock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 06:45 PM   #164
o_dweezil

Nukem, feel free to make your own DM server where all the Sailors and Truckers can go and speak freely. No one is stopping you from doing this. You could have it up in as much time as you've spent throwing a tantrum.

Is the filter too aggressive? Obviously. It was imported from their other game servers. Why should Scuzzy have to modify it for your guttermouth? It's there, you know it's there, don't be stupid and you won't get in trouble.
o_dweezil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #165
o_magz

Swear filters are a fucking brilliant idea imo.
o_magz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #166
o_[o-t] scuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
this makes sense if you are talking about a public server which is full and you have a large proportion of players to choose from.

It does not make sense if you are lucky to get a handful of players online, and there is no such 'community' to protect.

Everyone that comes on that server should be classed as a friend and community member, since they will have found the ip from these forums - alienating them through a swear filter ban is ridiculous (on this FF server only!), and only cuts the already small number of people who might join.

I can see why the filter would work elsewhere.
I can agree to this to a point. However, this server is open to the public and open and directly known to all [o-t] clan members and their families, so it's a public as any of our other servers.

Scuzzy

Old 12-24-2006, 02:13 AM   #167
o_[o-t] scuzzy

The feedback status code is finished. Here's how it will work. First, you can only update your maps from a computer that you've connected to the game server from. You don't have to play long, just connect to one of our source servers and the system will take it from there. We're tying the maps to a specific author's steam_id. It's a lot less maintenance for me then trying to give everyone their own login/password, etc, so I'll just let Valve handle that for me. So, I'll send out an e-mail to all of the authors I have currently asking them for their steam-ids. (Ginger and sidd42 should already be setup) If you have a dynamic IP that changes constantly you'll have to connect to the server in order to be detected as the author of a map.

When players view the pages they will see the current status of a feedback. Those possible status' are:

Not Reviewed Yet - This means, you guess it, the author of the map has not logged in and read and updated the feedback. (The status text is also bolded)

Under Review - They are looking at it and will decide it's fate later.

Not to be done - The suggestion or potential bug has been reviewed and declined.

Fixed - - Self Explanitory.

Will Fix after FF Release - Self Explanitory.

When a map author views his or her map's feedback their is an additional column for "Updated State" and a dropdown for each row. Select the new status, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Update All"... Map Authors have an additional selection of "Deleted".

Let me know if you have any issues.

Scuzzy

Old 12-24-2006, 07:57 PM   #168
o_ginger lord

The comment count doesnt update when you delete ones btw.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2006, 09:36 PM   #169
o_[o-t] scuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lord
The comment count doesnt update when you delete ones btw.
Yeah, I figured I'd get to that today... I was too tired to dig through and find the SQL last night. It's fixed, the count doesn't include "deleted" ones now.

Scuzzy

Old 12-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #170
o_nezumi

Works great.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #171
o_[o-t] scuzzy

I've added an unreviewed count to the right of the regular feedback count, that way you can tell if there's new feedback from the first page.

Scuzzy

Old 12-29-2006, 12:25 AM   #172
o_iggy

Sorry I joined this thread late.....I found it rather amusing, though.

I do have a couple of (yes, serious) questions for Scuzzy:

That auto-language filter of yours(no, I have not had any problems with it), does it take into account variances of known swears? Such as "sukk", "fahq", or anything else you can think of?

IS there a way to know(without testing the limit), if something is on the list?

Are words that are spoken on regular non-cable channels on this list?

I'm not questioning your rules(hey, it's your server)....I just want to know if I'm going to get nailed for a bind I have in regular TFC(once I port it over to FF), which reads: "(teamchat): Enemy SG *DESTROYED*! Watch for pissed off enemy Engineer!"
(Honestly, that bind gets a laugh from most people on my team the first few times they read it).

BTW- Thanks for having a place we can check out these great maps! If your clan wasn't into Neo-TF, I would consider joining. Just a personal preference...although I did enjoy playing with you guys.
o_iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2006, 12:52 AM   #173
o_nuk3m

anything besides FEEDBACK: is a swear word. just dont take your chances and do the clan a favor and dont talk at all i think it makes the vampire bat come out of them.
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2006, 01:11 AM   #174
o_df`

Some chances are worth taking in life... not this one, though. Getting banned from the Old Timers clan servers: a fate worse than death.
o_df` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2006, 01:26 AM   #175
o_[o-t] scuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
That auto-language filter of yours(no, I have not had any problems with it), does it take into account variances of known swears? Such as "sukk", "fahq", or anything else you can think of?
Actually we don't have to think of all of the combinations. The language filter for our Source servers uses regular expressions so it'll figure out on it's own which words people are trying to get around, ie fuk, fuc, fuck, fvck, etc. Some words are setup this way, others aren't. (a well defined regular expression takes thought and I'm lazy)

Quote:
IS there a way to know(without testing the limit), if something is on the list?
Sure, PM us in the Old Timers forums and we'd be happy to let you know if something would be outside the bounds. (your example below is a good one)

Quote:
Are words that are spoken on regular non-cable channels on this list?
A few, calling someone a retard isn't a good idea.

Quote:
I'm not questioning your rules(hey, it's your server)....I just want to know if I'm going to get nailed for a bind I have in regular TFC(once I port it over to FF), which reads: "(teamchat): Enemy SG *DESTROYED*! Watch for pissed off enemy Engineer!"
(Honestly, that bind gets a laugh from most people on my team the first few times they read it).
You're questions haven't sounded like your questioning our policies at all, just curious and wanting more information. Your above should be fine, "Piss" used to be on the list for a specific reason, it isn't there anymore. (As the reason has been banned perm for other issues)

Quote:
BTW- Thanks for having a place we can check out these great maps! If your clan wasn't into Neo-TF, I would consider joining. Just a personal preference...although I did enjoy playing with you guys.
You, and everyone else are welcome to play anytime. We're actually not a NeoTF clan, but a TFC Clan. We just like the NeoTF mod. With the help of the developers of NeoTF we've been able to REALLY tone down what is possible with it and just even out the classes a bit. (no hook crap, no ladder, no cages, no neo-admin stuff, only 1 MG, etc) We've recently been discussing and debating changes to our charter to include Fortress Forever and Team Fortress 2, but those decisions are still forthcoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem373
anything besides FEEDBACK: is a swear word. just dont take your chances
Gotta give him credit, wonderful sarcasm there, really strengthens his credibility. However, I think the proper response in nukem373's education range would be "That was so funny I forgot to laugh." Or perhaps, "I'm rubber and you're glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you." I'll let him choose the best one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem373
and do the clan a favor and dont talk at all i think it makes the vampire bat come out of them.
Someone's going to have to translate this one for me.

Scuzzy

Old 12-29-2006, 01:36 AM   #176
o_sh4x

God... may FF come out soon so all of this disappears.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 06:51 AM   #177
o_nodnarb

To all of those who complain about the filter...

SHUT UP!!!!
This server was purchased by the [O-t] clan. When they formed they set a strict set of rules, and the oblige by it. They could have put this server up, passworded it and told a few about it. But, they gave it out to the entire FF community, so that we could play these maps with our buddies over the internet. If you can't appreciate how much money, and time they have put in for this server, then you are pitiful, and imo need to go get your priorities straight.
Be thankful for what you have!!
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #178
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
To all those who complain about those complaining about the filter...

SHUT UP!!!

Your long-winded attempts at directing these people towards a life of clean sentences are misguided and ineffectual! Seriously.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:06 PM   #179
o_[o-t] scuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
SHUT UP!!!

Your long-winded attempts at directing these people towards a life of clean sentences are misguided and ineffectual! Seriously.
I'm not really sure who or what you're refering to here Circuitious... who do you think is trying to do that?

Scuzzy

Old 12-31-2006, 06:49 PM   #180
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Nodnarb and others, in case my repetition didn't make it obvious.