Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #881
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Maybe I view the game differenly than you but, if I join a 24/7 2fort server... its probably because I just feel like letting loose for awhile and doing whatever I want within reason. I wouldn't go there for the "thrill of the competition" because IMO there are much MUCH better servers out there for that if you want to play serious TFC.

The way I look at those servers... it seems silly to enforce class restrictions, because no one's day is gonna be ruined if their "team" loses at Drippy's anyway.
SkynYrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #882
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
You're as out-of-touch with pub play as I am with league play.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #883
tu!

i hope drippies/herself/dad/ogab/ot/girlpower/thorby type server owners stay the fuck away from ff and tf2. yeah i said tf2...!

ps. i am banned in all of em except ot lol! the admins are clueless on that server. just bhop/strafe jump when they aren't looking! or just press crouch in your bhop and claim you are crouch jumping!
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2007, 07:25 PM   #884
mistermojo
the pumps dont work

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheChainsaw
Although I can't Bhop and I doubt I ever will, I have nothing against it.
bunnyhopping is incredibly, incredibly simple to learn in quake, and since fortress forever will have quake like jumping (right?), you could learn it in 10 minutes
mistermojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #885
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
FF has jump queueing, yes.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #886
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
You're as out-of-touch with pub play as I am with league play.
How can you be "out of touch" with pub play? I played almost exclusively in pubs until around 2003 and I doubt much has changed since then. All of those hours of "practice" helped me NONE and I had to work my way up from the very bottom in CTF... and its still very much a challenge today to compete with top players.

If you are a serious gamer, 99% of pubs are a waste of time... period. You'll never pick up the skills and awareness you need by playing people of that caliber. I don't take them seriously and never will after being introduced to the clan community. That's why I hold the opinions I do... I don't give a goddamn what goes on in most pubs... they exist to dick-off and let loose in IMO, not to be tied down in by the same restrictions I see in clan matches, which they cannot even pretend to replicate. /rant

Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #887
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Do you people do anything but bitch? There's a whole thread for bitching, this is about the beta, now go to the right thread dammit.

On topic: So, how's that beta coming?
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2007, 12:03 AM   #888
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkynYrd
If you are a serious gamer, 99% of pubs are a waste of time... period. You'll never pick up the skills and awareness you need by playing people of that caliber. I don't take them seriously and never will after being introduced to the clan community. That's why I hold the opinions I do... I don't give a goddamn what goes on in most pubs... they exist to dick-off and let loose in IMO, not to be tied down in by the same restrictions I see in clan matches, which they cannot even pretend to replicate. /rant
I've learned every single one of my skills on pub servers. I've never played in a match, only played one league practice, and have never scrimmed or pug'd in my life.

Everything I know how to do, I practiced on my own or in pubs. Just because you couldn't pick it up doesn't mean it's impossible. Most of the popular pubs that are left take the game more seriously than you seem to think they do, and it's not hard to find one where you can get people working towards the goal.

So basically, everything has changed since 2003. You're out of touch. That's entirely why I said it.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:08 AM   #889
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
I've learned every single one of my skills on pub servers. I've never played in a match, only played one league practice, and have never scrimmed or pug'd in my life.

Everything I know how to do, I practiced on my own or in pubs. Just because you couldn't pick it up doesn't mean it's impossible. Most of the popular pubs that are left take the game more seriously than you seem to think they do, and it's not hard to find one where you can get people working towards the goal.

So basically, everything has changed since 2003. You're out of touch. That's entirely why I said it.
I learned from watching my brother play competitively.

By the way, your custom title is feeling lonely.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2007, 12:19 AM   #890
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Not much new to be shown, honestly.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:53 AM   #891
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

Quote:
I've never played in a match...
Then, please tell me, how do you know that you have all the skills you need to compete in CTF Leagues??

I assure you, you'd be just as surprised as I was if you go out today and join a STA Gold clan... then realize you aren't up to par. It's not because you suck... I'm not insulting your skill level. I'm just trying to get you to realize that you can only play at their level if you practice at their level all the time.

To be honest, I can barely compete at top levels and sometimes I get flat out embarrassed. I'm only trying to prove a point here Circ, not call names or belittle your opinion...

Old 08-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #892
Etzell
D&A Member

The transition from pub to league wasn't a huge leap for me. I was never top-level, but it's not like I was a bumbling noob as soon as I got into the big bad leagues.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #893
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Not much new to be shown, honestly.
EMP explosion?

Old 08-18-2007, 01:00 AM   #894
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
The transition from pub to league wasn't a huge leap for me. I was never top-level, but it's not like I was a bumbling noob as soon as I got into the big bad leagues.
Well, I am talking about top-level. Sure, the average clan player is probably not much better than the average pubber... but that does not hold true in top tier TFC.

My point is that, assuming you are a serious gamer, you would try to make it as "high up" as you could in the league community... and that only playing in pubs would prevent you from ever reaching that goal.

I don't want to be misunderstood. If people are content to play in pubs forever, that's great... who am I to look down on them? They love that part of the game and deserve to enjoy it. It's just that, personally, it's not my cup of tea... and I don't like it when people misrepresent my side of the fence.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:03 AM   #895
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Well, I am talking about top-level. Sure, the average clan player is probably not much better than the average pubber... but that does not hold true in top tier TFC.

My point is that, assuming you are a serious gamer, you would try to make it as "high up" as you could in the league community... and that only playing in pubs would prevent you from ever reaching that goal.

I don't want to be misunderstood. If people are content to play in pubs forever, that's great... who am I to look down on them? They love that part of the game and deserve to enjoy it. It's just that, personally, it's not my cup of tea... and I don't like it when people misrepresent my side of the fence.
I don't know many (or any) people that have jumped from pub-only to top-tier competitive play in any game, let alone TFC.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:10 AM   #896
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

All the more reason for me to get frustrated when pub-only players make accusations about the gameplay in top-tier TFC.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:17 AM   #897
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
All the more reason for me to get frustrated when pub-only players make accusations about the gameplay in top-tier TFC.
When did that happen? All I see is you making accusations about the gameplay in public TFC. Also, I don't see how this relates at all to anything. Again, I call for everyone involved to post one sentence explaining what in the world it is they are trying to prove.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:18 AM   #898
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

I'm trying to prove, at the moment, that Circ is wrong when he calls TFC severely flawed, because where I come from, the "exploits" are not a problem.

Overall I'm trying to prove that FF is primarily (not entirely) based on TFC, given the background of the majority of the devs, and what I understand about the game to this day.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:29 AM   #899
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
I'm trying to prove, at the moment, that Circ is wrong when he calls TFC severely flawed, because where I come from, the "exploits" are not a problem.

Overall I'm trying to prove that FF is primarily (not entirely) based on TFC, given the background of the majority of the devs, and what I understand about the game to this day.
Hmm. From what I understand, Circ was only calling TFC "flawed" because of the "exploits" and "imbalance" that exists in the game. That is a legitimate point no matter what. I'll go back to an RTS comparison. Let's say that in Starcraft, Zerg was so underpowered that nobody ever played them ever. It wouldn't be a problem in league play, because Terran and Protoss would still be available and it would be balanced. But taking out (in competitive play) one entire race because of gameplay imbalances would, by all standards, be a flaw in the game. But it's not like that in Starcraft. It is in TFC. That is the point EVERYONE has been trying to make. It is unarguable.

And... Yes. FF has been influenced by TFC. That point doesn't need to be proved. It's just not exclusive. FF has been influenced by almost all TF mods. That point is also unarguable.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:43 AM   #900
Etzell
D&A Member

Zerg rush.

The exploits aren't a problem in your games because they're outlawed, Skynrd. That doesn't mean the game isn't flawed, it means that it needs rules to keep this flaws from being apparent. There are still flaws.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote