Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
A few years back, Apple made OSX. OSX is not backwards compatable with previous versions of their operating system. Why'd they do it?

Long story short, the old Apple system was a mess. A lot of developers and power users griped about their software not working on OSX, but once you got the stability and other niceties considered most people didn't really mind.

A lot of the problems with Windows is all the legacy code. It really was just sort of hacked together - a little bit of code here, a little bit of code there, etc. What they really need to do is what they promised Vista would be - a brand new OS from the ground up. More secure, more stable.

Windows 7 won't be this OS, and I doubt the next one after that will be. But we can hope...

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #62
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Class/Position: Yes
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [ gr. ], UGC-FF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owoc View Post
You can disable superfetch if you don't want vista to hog ram.
You can disable search indexing if you don't want your hard disk to rattle constantly.
You can disable UAC if you don't like it.

I fail to see much other bloat in the system.
Completely agree. My unattended installation disc of Vista has exactly what he's explained. Compared to XP, Vista's GUI is a bit over the top, but so was XP compared to Windows 2000.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #63
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
but why can't we get the option of having a lightweight GUI like windows 2000?
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #64
Owoc
natural selection player

Class/Position: alien (fade), marine (comm)
Gametype: classic ns
What do you mean by that?
Owoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #65
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

low memory usage. how much does vista use when stripped back as far as it goes?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #66
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by illogicality- View Post
...Vista has such a bad rep because of these bargain shoppers who go to best buy/walmart and expect to buy the $299 special (1.8ghz, 512mb, 160gb) and have it run like a dream. Not gonna happen. I've been using Vista for 8 months now and have never had a blue screen or any issue. Of course, I don't own a bargain-bin computer (2.2ghzx4, 4gb ddr1066mhz, 160gb 10krpm hdd) but if you do it right, vista is pretty execptional.
I've seen it 8 GB of RAM for no reason whatsoever.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #67
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est View Post
It actually uses your RAM rather than let it sit there like XP. You can disable the services, though
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #68
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

are you saying ram whoring is a good thing? its an operating system for fuck sake. applications are what should be using that ram, eg protools.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #69
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

I just installed Vista x64 on my brand new comp and I like it so far. Only problem is finding software for x64 sometimes...

I mean, I COULD tweak the shit out of it and make it lighter on my system. I heard you can find alot of tweaks to optimize Vista, but I don't really feel the need with 8GB or RAM, Quad Core and Raid 0 honestly. Maybe later though... I dunno.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #70
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi View Post
A few years back, Apple made OSX. OSX is not backwards compatable with previous versions of their operating system. Why'd they do it?

Long story short, the old Apple system was a mess. A lot of developers and power users griped about their software not working on OSX, but once you got the stability and other niceties considered most people didn't really mind.

A lot of the problems with Windows is all the legacy code. It really was just sort of hacked together - a little bit of code here, a little bit of code there, etc. What they really need to do is what they promised Vista would be - a brand new OS from the ground up. More secure, more stable.

Windows 7 won't be this OS, and I doubt the next one after that will be. But we can hope...
Everything I've read from Microsoft suggests that will NEVER happen. They've made it pretty clear that coding an Operating System from scratch that creates a 15 GB footprint on your drive is not realistic. Even in the Linux world we build off the prior generation.

You're absolutely correct that pre-OSX Apple's OS was a mess. They did not, however, build from scratch. They pieced together elements from Linux, BSD, other *nix and various bits of code that made sense for what they were trying to accomplish.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2009, 02:46 AM   #71
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka View Post
are you saying ram whoring is a good thing? its an operating system for fuck sake. applications are what should be using that ram, eg protools.
It stops using it when something else calls for it.

That's not a difficult point to grasp, is it?

Vista only uses up the RAM when nothing else is. No program will ever suddenly be turned down access to RAM because Vista is using it. Stop being idiots.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #72
Owoc
natural selection player

Class/Position: alien (fade), marine (comm)
Gametype: classic ns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous View Post

Vista only uses up the RAM when nothing else is. No program will ever suddenly be turned down access to RAM because Vista is using it. Stop being idiots.
gg, we have a winner, vote for next map

Quote:
Vista's new graphics ("DWM, desktop window manager") eat 15-20MB, but you can disable even that (it'll still look better than XP's over-saturated blue borders imo). Without Superfetch and DWM my system is sitting just under 300MB when doing nothing (not that I normally disable Superfetch, again, read Circ's post above).
Owoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #73
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

http://xkcd.com/528/

Old 01-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #74
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est View Post
Can you say memory leak? I only have 4gb and Vista has never come close to running out of RAM on my system. It typically uses 1.5gb to 2gb but that's with 2 IE windows open (with probably 2-4 tabs in each), Steam, Vent, IRC, some MSI monitoring apps and Winamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
I just installed Vista x64 on my brand new comp and I like it so far. Only problem is finding software for x64 sometimes...

I mean, I COULD tweak the shit out of it and make it lighter on my system. I heard you can find alot of tweaks to optimize Vista, but I don't really feel the need with 8GB or RAM, Quad Core and Raid 0 honestly. Maybe later though... I dunno.
Depending on your hardware x64 drivers can be a bit more difficult to find. I have all new stuff (MSI K9N2 Diamond board, razer barracuda audio, geforce 9800gx2) so drivers were never a problem for me. Even with 8gb, tweaking a few things on vista (like indexing and superfetch) will make it run even faster - I'd suggest it. Let me know how you like it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
but why can't we get the option of having a lightweight GUI like windows 2000?
You can and it does use less ram. It's not JUST the GUI that uses ram though, there is a LOT more going on under the hood than W2K had.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #75
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

I went with an Asus board and a nvidia video card so no problem with drivers. Well, actually, the only driver I'm missing is the one for my dell 2001fp monitor. It just doesn't exists for Vista and I'm stuck with a default monitor driver which seems to be doing the job alright or else I'm pretty sure Dell would have released a driver for it.

I might disable indexing and superfetch but I wanna use the comp for a while before I do to see if I will use these features or not (indexing). Superfetch I haven't checked out what it does yet.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #76
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x View Post
I went with an Asus board and a nvidia video card so no problem with drivers. Well, actually, the only driver I'm missing is the one for my dell 2001fp monitor. It just doesn't exists for Vista and I'm stuck with a default monitor driver which seems to be doing the job alright or else I'm pretty sure Dell would have released a driver for it.

I might disable indexing and superfetch but I wanna use the comp for a while before I do to see if I will use these features or not (indexing). Superfetch I haven't checked out what it does yet.
good things Your monitor really shouldn't require a driver, though... unless it has USB ports on the back in which case it may need some sort of USB Hub driver.. but Vista should come packaged with a driver that will work for that. Who knows.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #77
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous View Post

Thank you for not being ignorant.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #78
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogicality- View Post
good things Your monitor really shouldn't require a driver, though... unless it has USB ports on the back in which case it may need some sort of USB Hub driver.. but Vista should come packaged with a driver that will work for that. Who knows.
Actually, in some occasions you need to install the correct monitor driver to be able to use the monitor's best configuration in terms of refresh rate.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #79
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka View Post
Just slightly more than XP. It's not noticeable at all.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funny, handbags, windows vista, windows xp