Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 09-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #21
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Thats right because a video of a fat kid making faces at a camera for 5 minutes is so much more worthy to be on youtube .

If you want to call him names then we can only assume your just some pretty boy who in the face of a major natural disaster would lay down and scream like a little girl. And if you were lucky some "fcking redneck" would save your ass.

Where are you from Atari?

This is a gaming forum but its in the off topic general discussion. This is for non gaming talk.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #22
Atari

You're right, what we need is a hunting subforum.

I'm from the UK. Not many rednecks around here tbh.

Last edited by Atari; 09-29-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #23
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

You know what the difference between a "redneck" and non rednecks are? We will out live you should our technology ever fail us. I hunt and fish, I was raised with surviving skills and I am a computer technician. Thats right I can fix your computer and I can survive without it too. Since you live in the UK please do not attempt in the future to use the term "redneck" or "hick" as you have no clue what so ever what the terms really mean.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #24
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Affiliations: Knights of the Round
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to Zydell Send a message via Skype™ to Zydell
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
I can only assume you haven't enjoyed the fun of swimming in a creek or anywhere that isn't a public or private pool. People love to do that, go out in the woods and camp out, build a fire, bbq, ect. Its great fun. You don't jump in hoping for a snake. They just happen to be there. Its a huge difference in jumping in a cage with a tiger. The difference is on one hand you are trying to enjoy nature and on the other you obviously are going to have nature take you out of the picture.

As for finding snakes its nearly impossible to go hiking or walking in the woods without first encountering a snake of some kind. Copper heads are all over the place in the fall. They don't kill you but are very hard to see and can make you puke all over the place. Encountering one and killing one is a smart thing to do as you could very easily step on it on your way back through.

Wikipedia will back this up:

This isn't to say you couldn't just ignore them. But if you and your family are out hiking in the woods and especially if you have younger kids with you would you want to run that risk?
So your logic is that because these animals will attack you when you enter their territory (creek), it's ok to shoot them for fun at any desired time? Where's the logic in that.

If you are specifically trying to find them, just so you can shoot them for fun, then I think that's WRONG. The value of human pleasure does not weight against the value of an animal life or does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GambiT
i have no choice but to be in the swamps, most of LA is swamps. Second, i work for the government at a hidden facility in the swamps so cant avoid that either.

i don't condone going out and killing them for fun, but if you come across one i'd suggest you kill it(if you can do so safely).
I wholeheartedly agree with you!
Zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #25
Atari

I'm entitled to use the term redneck, it doesn't belong to US citizens only and I know what the term means, hence why I used it in the first place.

I'm glad you'll be ok if technology ever fails us, but in 'reality' if that happened the scenario would most likely be that we're all nuked anyway so your bow and arrow ain't gonna get you that far. And I can fix my own computer thanks.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #26
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Zydell - No I'm not saying its ok to go out and look for them and shoot them for fun. I don't know kev but I'd say that they didn't go out in the woods with an AK just to shoot snakes. Likely they were out there for another reason and saw it. There are channels on tv devoted to hunting of all kinds and likely they recorded it and posted it on youtube for that same reason. Some people like to watch this kind of stuff. As soon as I watched the video I emailed to my friend and he loved it.

Atari - I never said that the US owned the term redneck. It can be used as a positive way or a negative way here. The negative will likely get the same result as if you were to walk up to a African American and drop the N bomb. You being in the UK it can only assume the negative way and you used it in a negative way. You wouldn't walk up to me and call me out like that in person because you'd likely get a face full of fist so why say it here? There is no use in the usage of it at all.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:22 PM   #27
Atari

I didn't realise it could be used in a positive way, and howd you know that I wouldn't say it to your face? But anyway, lets not turn this in to an e-hard slagging match please. On second thoughts, I probably wouldn't say it to your face as you'd probably have your bow on you.

And I don't really think you can compare the two words.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:46 PM   #28
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Both are words used as an insult to a type of person or race in this case nationality. No need for any of that here.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #29
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Shooting animals when they pose no immediate threat to you is something very wrong. You don't go shooting every shark when you swim in the ocean. No. It's their domain. You're encroaching on their natural environment. Maybe if the snake was attacking you, and you just happened to have an AK-47, sure.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #30
C-Aim
Better than Never

So that's what people need fully automatic weapons for.
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #31
Atari

Quote:
Both are words used as an insult to a type of person or race in this case nationality. No need for any of that here.
I wouldn't dream of using the N word, and I certainly wouldn't compare it to the word redneck as they're in a completely different league.

Anyway, we're off topic now. Poor snake.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #32
Gigiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Aim
So that's what people need fully automatic weapons for.
To clarify, that was not an AK-47. Many people (a friend of mine included, it's annoying) that buy semi-automatic (shoots one round for each pull of the trigger) AK clones incorrectly call them AK-47s. If it isn't fully automatic, it isn't an AK-47. Sure, someone would probably know it's not an actual AK, and it's easier to recognize what you mean than by calling it a WASR-10, but I don't see why people don't just call them AK clones.
Gigiya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #33
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Not all AK47s are automatic. In fact its illegal in most places to have a full automatic rifle in the first place.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:30 AM   #34
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Never bothered to watch the video till now and I have to say it would do my heart good to see a video of two hick-ass bastards getting killed by a venomous snake. Like Uber said, we don't shoot every shark in the ocean because they can kill us, and the same can be said of any other animal that can kill us.

There are a lot of things out there that can kill us, hell, any person who is bigger and stronger than me can kill me, perhaps I should shoot them now so I can safely trespass upon their territory. Instead of killing them maybe we could take some advice from Steve Irwin, who is likely turning over in his grave at videos like this, and learn to understand the animals and what provokes them.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2007, 04:48 AM   #35
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Yes YMH, you should definitely start killing people bigger than you as that's an equivalent to what's been said ITT.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2007, 05:14 AM   #36
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Blue Team
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~
Being from The Netherlands, I doubt you have Cottonmouth Water Moccasins in your neck of the woods.

These things are members of the pit viper family and will kill your ass.
so dont touch it?

Quote:
Its sensible practice to kill a snake if you find it because the next time it might find you first and feel you are a threat.
with an ak47... yup very sensible
-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2007, 05:26 AM   #37
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Spend a week in the woods down here and we'll see what you think. The only grass you see on a daily basis is the kind that grows in the cracks of sidewalk. The closest thing you've probably came to a snake is on the discovery channel, zoo, or driving down the road.

Until you have met up with a snake in the wild please don't talk about what is right and wrong to do about it.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #38
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

I know, just as I know killing sharks to swim in the ocean isn't OK, that it is wrong to kill snakes just so you can play in your local swamp.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #39
Atari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
Yes YMH, you should definitely start killing people bigger than you as that's an equivalent to what's been said ITT.
Stop being so pedantic. It's pretty obvious the analogy hes making.

Quote:
Spend a week in the woods down here and we'll see what you think. The only grass you see on a daily basis is the kind that grows in the cracks of sidewalk. The closest thing you've probably came to a snake is on the discovery channel, zoo, or driving down the road.

Until you have met up with a snake in the wild please don't talk about what is right and wrong to do about it.
You all seem to think that if we don't kill snakes/deer/whatever we're all from city?

Just because something 'can' kill you, it doesn't mean you should hunt it down and kill it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
I know, just as I know killing sharks to swim in the ocean isn't OK, that it is wrong to kill snakes just so you can play in your local swamp.
I remember hearing a story from Australia (I think) where the parents of a teenager killed by a great-white stopped the boats heading out to destroy the shark as they were smart enough to realise that the surfers were in the sharks domain. Fair play.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #40
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
I am fairly certain you are feigning this inability to read analogies but I'll go along with it. They are not equivalent; they are different, but they involve some of the same fundamental issues, which is where they are related.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote