Old 04-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #81
o_stino

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam
too hl1 (brushwork)
too empty (scale, big flat walls)
too plain (texture variation)
its floating between hl1 and hl2, don't try to get that brushwork in hl1, to many polygons
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #82
o_kam

Curving every wall corner isnt a huge step up in detail from hl1 and isn't 'efficient' detail (by that I mean you could use the the same amount of faces and make it look better cos polycount isn't everying).

You need to get inspiration from photograph, books and other maps/games, see how they create detail with brush work and texture variation. Textures do effect the kinda of brush work you can get away with though...
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 07:38 PM   #83
o_dr.flexyjerkov

Once i start adding piping around the map and other models etc i think it'll look a lot better but currently working on main structure still and ill think of some new ideas for shape of the map.
o_dr.flexyjerkov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #84
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam
Curving every wall corner isnt a huge step up in detail from hl1 and isn't 'efficient' detail (by that I mean you could use the the same amount of faces and make it look better cos polycount isn't everying).

You need to get inspiration from photograph, books and other maps/games, see how they create detail with brush work and texture variation. Textures do effect the kinda of brush work you can get away with though...
yep, but don't look at games like unreal, especially not 2007, damd, their motto is surly: how more polygons how better, (if they don't achieve it with polygons, then they will use a lot of high quality bump maps )

Old 04-18-2006, 02:21 AM   #85
o_tercel

honestly...i think this is the best looking preview of an FF map i've seen so far. some of the maps have so much detail and such I think some people are forgetting what tfc is and are trying to make HL2 type maps.

Maybe i'm alone in saying this...but what I want to see in FF maps are much of the same things i saw in my favorite tfc maps. wide hallways to bhop in, flat floors to bhop on, and a shitload of ramps to slide up. i hope the mappers keep these things in mind while they are creating their masterpieces.

keep in mind--alot of the time simpler is better, and thats what tfc is: simple and fun
o_tercel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2006, 02:23 AM   #86
o_luminous

look @ knobber and aardvark aswell tercel
o_luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2006, 02:29 AM   #87
o_tercel

yeah those types of maps are what i want to see but even in aardvark...what the hell is the point of the boat being there in the pond. it looks nice but this isnt a fucking kodak magazine its an internet game. i only see stupid doodads like that hindering gameplay

Old 04-18-2006, 02:33 AM   #88
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
You'll be flying over it most of the time anyway.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:20 AM   #89
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercel
...but even in aardvark...what the hell is the point of the boat being there in the pond. it looks nice but this isnt a fucking kodak magazine its an internet game. i only see stupid doodads like that hindering gameplay
The boat outside is purely to look nice as you say, but it doesn't get in the way of gameplay at all. In fact, I've done everything reasonably possible throughout the map to remove anything that may catch the player and hinder movement (I think that's extremely important, and very fast and slick offy movement with no annoying bits to get randomly caught on is pretty much the basis of aardvark's gameplay), so I'm assuming by your comment that you haven't actually looked at the map...

EDIT: hmm, I've just had another thought... maybe you don't understand how that map is supposed to play (ie offy can conc jump, water skim, and ramp slide in TF nowadays ya know?), in which case read this, and you'll clearly see the boat outside will never get in the way (I'm not dumb, I wouldn't put something like that there if it did get in the way at all!)

Last edited by o_caesium; 04-18-2006 at 09:28 AM.
o_caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #90
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium
The boat outside is purely to look nice as you say, but it doesn't get in the way of gameplay at all. In fact, I've done everything reasonably possible throughout the map to remove anything that may catch the player and hinder movement (I think that's extremely important, and very fast and slick offy movement with no annoying bits to get randomly caught on is pretty much the basis of aardvark's gameplay), so I'm assuming by your comment that you haven't actually looked at the map...

EDIT: hmm, I've just had another thought... maybe you don't understand how that map is supposed to play (ie offy can conc jump, water skim, and ramp slide in TF nowadays ya know?), in which case read this, and you'll clearly see the boat outside will never get in the way (I'm not dumb, I wouldn't put something like that there if it did get in the way at all!)
the boat only generates network load :d physics are send through the network ...

Old 04-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #91
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercel
honestly...i think this is the best looking preview of an FF map i've seen so far. some of the maps have so much detail and such I think some people are forgetting what tfc is and are trying to make HL2 type maps.

Maybe i'm alone in saying this...but what I want to see in FF maps are much of the same things i saw in my favorite tfc maps. wide hallways to bhop in, flat floors to bhop on, and a shitload of ramps to slide up. i hope the mappers keep these things in mind while they are creating their masterpieces.

keep in mind--alot of the time simpler is better, and thats what tfc is: simple and fun
if you want simple maps, go play tfc, ff is made on source for the graphic quality, so why don't use it, clip brushes on walls can still prevent people fro m getting stuck when they hit a trim while concing ..

Old 04-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #92
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by stino
the boat only generates network load :d physics are send through the network ...
Physics are calculated client-side. All the server sends is a "hey the boat's broken now" message.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:30 PM   #93
o_tercel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium
(I think that's extremely important, and very fast and slick offy movement with no annoying bits to get randomly caught on is pretty much the basis of aardvark's gameplay), so I'm assuming by your comment that you haven't actually looked at the map...
on the contrary, i looked over the entire map before i made any comments. the rest of the map looks superb, except maybe a little too much clutter in the generator room (after all there are more intense/fun battles in more open rooms). the boat is ok i suppose...i just wanted to make sure that the mappers werent going overboard with the aestetics (sp?) of a map and forgetting about gameplay

Old 04-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #94
o_nezumi

I think you might be a bit too worried Tercel. Gameplay and aesthetics can be fairly easily separated so they don't bother eachother. (Much of the time anyway)
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #95
o_dr.flexyjerkov

A quick image upload of the new outside design

Old 04-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #96
o_tercel

i love it--the extra long bridge will definately make for some intense yard flag defense. keep up the good work

Old 04-19-2006, 04:40 PM   #97
o_puppychow

inside looks cool.

outside - meh, must everything be like 2fort? sooo many maps with a bridge going over some sort of water. you have time. be creative.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #98
o_dr.flexyjerkov

Just because it has a bridge dont make it 2fort, but ill consider other ideas...

Old 04-19-2006, 07:01 PM   #99
o_tercel

omg sweetest idea ever

just completely take out the bridge so you have to conc over the water or you're fucked. orgasm

Old 04-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #100
o_own3r

or you could try adding some taraign?
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote