Old 01-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #41
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
It works the same as in TFC but just with a jump que instituted. Unless you hold the button you still jump everytime you press jump. So mouse wheel would work the same. It's just not nessiciarly needed b/c of the que that has be implemented in FF, you can do the same thing as mouse wheel by just holding the key down.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #42
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
But, it's still pointless. The whole reason ppl bound +jump to mwheel was to get correct timing. With jump queueing, correct timing can be done by anybody on a regular button like "space".

Old 01-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #43
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

I agree!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #44
Type6

Not pointless, think about it. Some people have been bunny hopping with mwheel for years. It's become second nature for them. It would be pointless for them to switch to this system. That's a VERY good reason in my book. Why change it if you've mastered it on way and it works just as well?

FF is not picky at all about timing, and bhop is a piece of cake no matter which bind you use. So it really only comes down to preference.

Use whatever you want, just don't claim that one works better then the other or which one is pointless because that's completely irrelevant.
Type6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #45
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

In that circumstancial example, you are correct, to that person it is not irrelevant. However the initial reasoning behind using mouse wheel has now become irrelevant. Just b/c it's habbit doesn't mean the methoud isn't out dated and irrelevant, it just means you have a preference. Like I said before either way works.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 01-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #46
WATER
D&A Member

all the complications =/

space bar for conc mwheel for bhop my space bar is too noisey to repeatedly press it
WATER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #47
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type6
FF is not picky at all about timing, and bhop is a piece of cake no matter which bind you use. So it really only comes down to preference.

Use whatever you want, just don't claim that one works better then the other or which one is pointless because that's completely irrelevant.
actually, it is better to use a key you can hold for bhop jumping so you always do a perfect (instant) jump - most of the time the difference is tiny, i admit, and most ppl would never even notice it, but there are some situations where it makes a big difference, and so if the movement is what you like about FF then i'd strongly recommend you try to adjust to using a button.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #48
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

i call ur cowe and raise u cowe
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #49
Coke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareOfButtlice
TFC isnt about mousewheel bunnyhopping.. The pro people used space. I know this because i used to play with teams like uZ. and am friends with one of their starters IRL. IMO if you're saying that FF is n00b friendly for now allowing people to use mousewheel as a bhop substitute, you're being a hypocrite.
The pro people used space?? roflz dunno what league / division ur clan played, maybe it was from after my time.. But im ex [LoG] and [Rasta] (rasta being the best belgian clan) ... U cant bhop properly in tfc without using mwheeldown.. with a minor bhop script. Maybe ur so called hopping was enough for defence, but if u played offence they'd call u a noob. I played side by side with imo some of the best offence players ever ([Rasta]Striker & [Rasta]Wish) wish still plays now i beleive..
Name me one pro offence player like them that used space..

Now on topic =p
The bhopping is allot harder with mwheeldown in FF then in TFC.. Whenever i get on speed i stop cause i miss a jump or sumtin.. Maybe if i practise a week i can master it.. But it still feels allot different..
This is the only complaint about the mod, a big one for me, but dont get me wrong the rest i like.

edit: and think about it.. If u make a mod where old tfcers can just paste there old scripts and start hopping away etc.. U'd have more succes and therefor have a realistic chance of making a game that valve would someday sell in retail, like counter-strike. Simple marketing.

Last edited by Coke; 01-23-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Coke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #50
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

sup, coke. you do realise you can just hold jump to do perfect bhop jumps in FF, yeah? (just checking!)

and i don't know if this is what he meant, but actually some good players i know did use a button (such as space) for bhop in tfc, but they used a script with it (so they press it just before they land it automatically presses jump loads of time for them so they get a good bhop jump). although i tried it out, i wasn't a fan of this at all as it's lame and could get all messed up sometimes if you're a boob like me, so i always used mwheel for my super speed (c200 bhop i use a button for bhop in FF tho ofc.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #51
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
It took me about a week to overcome 10 years of ingraining into me the use of mwheeldown for bhop, and switch to the spacebar.

It's not a huge adjustment, the hardest part was then coordinating my jump/duck sequences, because I never used spacebar in tfc, leaving me always with my pinky on shift for duck, but now I gotta use the two combined. But it wasn't a drastic change, and I coped fine.

This method is totally easier, no question. People unable to unwilling to change just because they're used to "their" way, haven't really gave it an effort.

I remember in tfc when trying to find out my exact button setup, I switched buttons weekly, always taking a full week to get used to something before I changed it again.

I still find myself changing my FF configs, tweaking them here or there. Only takes me about a week to adjust to the new setup. Spacebar que > mwheeldown. Only thing the spacebar gave was the ability to trigger a jump at the exact momen you hit the ground by scrolling 10 jump commands together. Spacebar does this with one press of a button. You don't even find yourself hitting space bar that often. Sure on mwheeldown you're flipping scrolling that thing like a mofo, but with spacebar you find yourself only actually pressing it when you need to jump.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #52
ICB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke
I could name you loads, but I'd rather them or their clanmembers said something themselves (they probably will). And nah, I'm not one of them.

Quote:
If u make a mod where old tfcers can just paste there old scripts and start hopping away etc.. U'd have more succes and therefor have a realistic chance of making a game that valve would someday sell in retail, like counter-strike. Simple marketing.
Going out of their way to appeal/gear the game towards to an esoteric, mostly elitist playerbase (be honest), they keep a mostly fixed community without as great a chance of expanding said playerbase as much as appealing to the general public. Simple marketing.

As caesium said, FF is geared towards using spacebar, as it's a perfect jump every time when you hold it down. It's pretty great, I applaud the DEVs for that.

Anyway, any great TFCer won't have a problem porting CFGs to FF. It's much more of an issue to get your average joe playing and making it easier for them to pick it up. In general, not just bhopping.
ICB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #53
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
This TFC SPACEBAR talk is confusing, you can't tell if he meant the SPACEBAR alone without a MOUSEWHEEL mimic script or what. From the looks of it he didn't. It's that true then they would not be able to bhop!

Let's clear this up (if you don't already know) before more posts come in.

Two ways to bhop in TFC.

1) Mousewheel
2) Spacebar with a mousewheel mimic script.

Cannot be done on spacebar without a mousewheel mimic script.

Carry on.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #54
own3r
Custom mapper

Uncapped BHOP FTW, none of this retarding players with caps.

N.B. for the retarded
(retarding means slowing them down)
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #55
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I remember when you used to bitch about balance.

Good times.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #56
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
ME! Actually I used mouse2, but same thing. And as paft pointed out I used a mwheel mimic script:

ie:
Code:
 alias +bhop "+jump;wait;-jump;wait;+jump;wait;-jump;wait;+jump;wait;-jump;wait;+jump;wait;-jump;wait;+jump"
alias -bhop "-jump"
bind mouse2 "+bhop"
But your arguing for no reason...FF has a bhop mimic script coded INTO the game so it's exactly like the one I just posted only you don't have to make one up yourself!

So what are you arguing about? It's the same effing thing, just one we (the playerbase) had to do and one they (the dev's) coded into the game!

The only reason why you would still use mwheel is b/c it's habbit and even that has been discredited as a logical excuse.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #57
Coke

well, i beleive ur more agile when using ur left hand to control the arrows and the right to jump while bhopping..
dont mind me, all i wanted was the old tfc feeling back.. the only fps i played where u could compare wars with sport matches. offence / defence + techniques u had to learn.. priming bhopping hhconcing hhglideconcing those were the days. But that was like 4 years ago

remember all those community hottopics like ex_interp etc xD the _special command to make loops in scripts.. all banned xD
Coke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #58
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

yeah...those were great days, but I still think you can do the same and better sometimes in FF.

I personally use mouse2 to jump...my preference and I have enough keys bound and what not that it doesn't effect anything else. So totally agree that movement left hand and jump right is best!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 01-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #59
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
In TFC I used my mouse 3 to jump with the .cfg. However, I've found it 10 times easier just using space with my thumb while using WASD... especially since you can just queue it up.

I've found that the thumb is best used as a pulse of sorts... to time everything else out.

But it's not like anyone thinks about doing this stuff after a while.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #60
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

if anyone's interested, i use a complex setup of jump and duck buttons to suit all movement occasions!...

1. mouse thumb button: +jump (for all bhop).
2. space bar: jump and duck for as long as you hold it (for normal jumping so that you dodge btr and stuff, and for ducking while bhopping or flying).
3. alt: +duck (for when you want to slide the top of a ramp low, or just duck ofc...).
4. mwheeldown: +jump (for v rare situations where you want to jump then jump again a fraction of a second later, such as flying v fast at the btm of a ramp and you want to jump on the flat ground then jump again as soon as you touch the ramp to send you flying upwards yay).

a little over the top for most ppl probably, but imo very powerful if you get used to it all and understand what it lets you do. btw making all these work together needs a little thought when writing the binds (so that they don't interfere with each other, and you can use any combination of them at any time and they still work). i don't have my config available atm, but it's out there somewhere on the big wide internet...