Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2005, 08:25 PM   #21
o_e-dog-tpf-

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
First of all, I want to thank Webzter, Teatime, 12PackAttack, and whoever else was involved from the begining. Whether or not you like what has become of TPF, it is undeniable that it has been a great asset to the online gaming world no matter which way you look at it. And for that, I think you guys should give yourselves a great big pat on the back. You started something that has improved the quality of play for countless number of people (and this continues to grow each day).

I know there are many out there who wear the TPF tag & are the worst of the worst. But anyone can see plain as day who the true TPFers are. For every person who's had a bad experience with a TPFer, I'm sure there is at least twice as many who have had a good experience.

I was a TPF member 4-5 years ago before I sort of stoped gaming because of a lot of Real Life commitments, I couldn't find the time. This year though, I have found a renewed interest in gaming, and TPF along with that.

There has been a small group of individuals who recently have done a lot of things in an effort to make TPF a strong influence again. It may never be like the original guys remember it, but there's no doubt in my mind that it is the greatest community (in general. not just for gaming) that I've ever been a part of. Like Saintrancid said... it's no longer confined to just TFC. There are several games that we have expanded our influence to, and while it's guaranteed that there will be bad players claim to be a part of it, there will be (and has been) many who have improved the community to a great degree.

It is a new generation of TPF, and for better or worse, I'm going to do everything I can to spread the idea, and help it to grow.
o_e-dog-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #22
o_mongul-tpf-

while everything i've had to say has already been posted. I hope TPF does have a strong influence in FF. TPF is the only reason i played TFC as long as i did and probaly the only reason i still do. Its a great way to get good pub games without the annoying crap you have to deal with, with clans. TPF assosiated server were always fun places to play. I hope those few bad apple have not ruined the guild for everyone and 12pack and teatime were always awsomw guys to play with and hope to see them in FF
o_mongul-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 10:47 AM   #23
o_sithdrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongul-TPF-
TPF is the only reason i played TFC as long as i did
Quoted for truth. Also, the only reason I really got as far into the game as I did. Well, AMP also .
o_sithdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 11:22 AM   #24
o__thursday_

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-dog-TPF-
First of all, I want to thank Webzter, Teatime, 12PackAttack, and whoever else was involved from the begining. Whether or not you like what has become of TPF, it is undeniable that it has been a great asset to the online gaming world no matter which way you look at it.
I haven't heard of it until now, so it obviously never had the 'great impact' you intended it to.
o__thursday_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #25
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Just because you've not heard of a certain thing doesnt mean most other people havent Thursday.
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 02:48 PM   #26
o__thursday_

Most people haven't, thats the thing. Was talking to all the guys round my area, and on a lload of forums. I got not one person who knew what TPF was or is. It seems as though its a "lost and found" thing.

Old 02-05-2005, 03:11 PM   #27
o_eat

Its quite an old organisation so you wont have heard of it unless you've been playing for 3+ years, and may have not heard of it even if you were playing back then! I recall it being quite a big deal for a few months.
o_eat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #28
o_nukemseviltwinripm2shreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Thursday_
Most people haven't, thats the thing. Was talking to all the guys round my area, and on a lload of forums. I got not one person who knew what TPF was or is. It seems as though its a "lost and found" thing.
Although that's probably true, it's funny to imagine you took an thorough survey to reach what is really just a assumption. When our guild (.id) was forming three years ago, we modeled after the TPF philosophy, learned from the organization's mistakes that led to TPF's demise. It's nice to see some of you guys now carrying the torch in other games. We have several TPF in our guild and we're doing our best to help it carry on in what remains of TFC....and what is to come!
o_nukemseviltwinripm2shreds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 06:12 PM   #29
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

I think TPF's biggest problem was that a lot of people just wore the tag for status (or because everybody else did) and consequently gave the organisation a bad name. I wore the tag for a good six months and helped newbies etc along the way.. but I must say I encountered quite a few bad apples wearing the TPF tag that were more likely to abuse than help new players. I know the founders and most of the members were nice guys, but it was something that was tough to stop imo.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:08 PM   #30
o_e-dog-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Thursday_
Quote:
First of all, I want to thank Webzter, Teatime, 12PackAttack, and whoever else was involved from the begining. Whether or not you like what has become of TPF, it is undeniable that it has been a great asset to the online gaming world no matter which way you look at it.
I haven't heard of it until now, so it obviously never had the 'great impact' you intended it to.
What I meant by 'great impact' is that... for those who have discovered it & embraced it... it has had a great impact on them.

Quote:
I think TPF's biggest problem was that a lot of people just wore the tag for status (or because everybody else did) and consequently gave the organisation a bad name.
Yes, that's been the toughest thing to control.
But you can't preach to people that they have to be understanding & supportive, and then turn them away because of a bad experience someone in your community may have had with that person. You have to be open, and give the person a chance. If they ARE an offensive, insulting, immature person, then you talk to them and try to make them see what they are doing wrong. Try to help that person to BECOME a teamplayer. That's what TPF is all about.

In truth though, if someone is actually taking the time to hang around the web-site, or the servers, and get involved in discussions, then in most cases, they understand the concepts & attempt to play by them. The biggest problem is the people who signed up with the tag & then never come back. In it's prime, TPF was seen as being some sort of holy group without a fault of any kind (untrue of course). So naturally there were people who WANTED to give tpf a bad name. And wore the tag & went out fo their way to discredit TPF.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #31

TagHo's welcomed to this day, no teamplay required. Per http://forums.teamplayfirst.com/index.php?topic=61.0 :
Quote:
To officially join Team Play First -TPF-
1) Register on their forum (Edited)
2) Post you want to join TPF. (Edited)
3) "One of the admins will add you to the -TPF- Member group"
4) "Now edit your profile, and add the -TPF- tag to the end of your name."
There is no invite, app or screening process. Prolly good for us the present "council" seems to have lost their TFC religion long ago.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #32
o_e-dog-tpf-

Nukem....

What is your purpose? TPF didn't willingly conform to YOUR plan for us (I saw your chat with TLM), and now you're out to try and make us look bad by picking out our "mistakes"?
Quote:
There is no invite, app or screening process.
Quote:
But you can't preach to people that they have to be understanding & supportive, and then turn them away because of a bad experience someone in your community may have had with that person. You have to be open, and give the person a chance.
'nuff said

You obviously don't understand what TPF is trying to do. So don't try to force opinion of us onto others. I'm not going to fight with you about this. If you have a problem with us, than thats up to you. Let others think what they will.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Nukem....
What is your purpose?
To promote and encourage teamplay. I tend to agree with a few others here that allowing anyone to wear the TPF tag messed you guys up in the past.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:12 PM   #34
o_saintrancid-tpf-

a double edged sword you might say
o_saintrancid-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2005, 07:22 AM   #35
o_tlm

I'll just chime in and say this one statment for you people claiming bad use of tag brought down TPF.

Whats to stop them anyway? Lets take someone thats gonna screw up the game anyway, and they see something cool in someones nickname. Whats to stop them from putting it on theirs? Nothing but themselvs. Sure Joe user might see that the username has x clan or y guild but do you really think they would bother to look into see if that person is realy in the clan/guild, 99% would be a no. Move on up to server admin level, odds are now to 75% of a no. Move to a server supporting clan/guild, 15% no. As you see, how the hell could you stop it anyway? People have no concence of there actions anymore.
o_tlm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2005, 07:25 AM   #36
o_iceman9414

It's just too bad that all servers can't be monitored for 'fair play'. It's a great concept and when you play on a server where everyone works together it is great.
o_iceman9414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2005, 08:18 AM   #37
o_yen-lo-wang-tpf-

Just wanted to bip in and make a comment or two about Nukem's not-so-veiled accusations:

I am a member of the "Senior Council" of the current incarnation of TPF, so I'm pretty familiar with the situation Nukem has created. The essence of what he did was join, try to buddy up with some of our guys, then come to us in the SC and demand to be made one of us to encourage a merger between .id and TPF. When we declined his "offer", he promptly began ripping us for every percieved mishap we've had in terms of how we run things.

The thing is, we don't just let anyone in. Most of the people who come in and register at the site were recommended to it by one of our guys because they are a good team player. We don't let any old Joe Schmoe in like Nukem claims we do.

And as for TPF "dieing" or "getting messed up" in the past...

I've been in or around TPF for about five years now. We've never been dead, per se, but there was a long quiet period where a lot of our core members had too many other commitments to game very much. Fewer and fewer of us played with much regularity, and fewer and fewer people joined.

As was said earlier, a lot of people wore the tag back then just because they could. That's a problem inherint with an ideal like TPF, and we try to deal with it as we can, but there will always be a few sour apples (A fellow named BlackMage being one of the chief apples at the moment...).

Through it all, though, TPF has survived and will continue to survive, hopefully for many years to come. We have had and will have our bumps here and there, but we have and will continue to push on through and keep truckin' along, trying to make the gaming community a slightly better place.
o_yen-lo-wang-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2005, 09:51 AM   #38
o__thursday_

Quote:
Quote:
I think TPF's biggest problem was that a lot of people just wore the tag for status (or because everybody else did) and consequently gave the organisation a bad name.
Quote:
Yes, that's been the toughest thing to control.
But you can't preach to people that they have to be understanding & supportive, and then turn them away because of a bad experience someone in your community may have had with that person. You have to be open, and give the person a chance. If they ARE an offensive, insulting, immature person, then you talk to them and try to make them see what they are doing wrong. Try to help that person to BECOME a teamplayer. That's what TPF is all about.
'Controling' the TPF members & status could happen quite simply if the Fortress Forever team can devise a system like the Natural-Selection Constellation program & Dev/Veteran icons.
For those that do not know about the system, basically an icon appears next to your name in the score board when your SteamID is recognised. I really have a basic understanding, and that is it. Contact Charles 'Flayra' Cleveland for more info. about it if TPF and FF were to want to do something similar. That way, we know the 'real players'.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:01 AM   #39
o_e-dog-tpf-

hrmm.. that's very interesting. Does a server have to be set up for this, or does it apply to ANY server regardless of settings? If it is the latter, then this sounds like a pretty cool feature. Although, we do play a number of other games. besides just Valve games. But at least that would cover a portion of the community.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #40
o__thursday_

Contact via E-Mail @ http://www.unknownworlds.com. I think a server has to be set up, as I can't see it working any other way unless theres a hefty but nice little coding trick where SteamID's are embedded in to the mod and are kept server side but can not be changed. Although the security issue with that is anyone can see your SteamID & nickname, so prepare for lots of "Steam Friends".

It would definately be worth a go at contacting UWE staff though, they normally reply as soon as they can. You never know, if the FF staff do decide to do this and execute it just as well as it has been in NS, we could see a 'new type of gaming' in the community.
NS only executed it to a specific of the community, largely the oldest members there which playtest or have contributed to the modification, then they spanned out to donaters (which are no gurantee for good behaviour). I believe FF should do similar, as there is no way to keep tabs on a large growing community, and the older/respected members having little icons tend to make some players behave better in a vain attempt to get there own, especially when they are on server. Not bad for some sort of behaviour control, ay?