Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 02-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Windows XP

Hey guys, sad to say that my hard drive is going...it's been doing check disks frequently and will lock up when trying to load too much at once, it skips every now and then, and before it goes I wanted to see if there was any way for me to put my legal, registered copy of XP on this PC onto a CD so I don't have to go and buy another, unfortunately, I don't have the original copy, or it's lost in oblivion somewhere. Any help would be great!
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
You won't be putting it on a CD. You'll be putting it on a DVD.

Anyhow, if the drive is starting to go, you might be in trouble. However, I believe XP came with a partition with a Windows Backup on it. If this isn't a home-rolled system, call your mfr...and see if they can walk you through making a back-up DVD. If it IS a home-rolled system, best guess I can figure is buy a new HD, hook it up...bulk-copy the whole drive(do this in SAFE mode!), then swap drive positions and edit your system start-up via the BIOS.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 AM   #3
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabeggar
Hey guys, sad to say that my hard drive is going...it's been doing check disks frequently and will lock up when trying to load too much at once, it skips every now and then, and before it goes I wanted to see if there was any way for me to put my legal, registered copy of XP on this PC onto a CD so I don't have to go and buy another, unfortunately, I don't have the original copy, or it's lost in oblivion somewhere. Any help would be great!
Are you talking about XP install disks or the actually running copy of XP?

If you're talking about making a copy of your working install...If it's stable enough and there's has been little or no damage to the XP build you could use something like Ghost to mirror your old drive to a new one and preserve your system as is. Otherwise, if you don't know your CD key you can look it up with Magic Jelly Bean or something similar to get your key.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #4
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

I have the original key, I keep that all on a notepad which is on a flash drive, I just don't have the install disks for XP and I just was wondering if I could make install disks from what I have now.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabeggar
I have the original key, I keep that all on a notepad which is on a flash drive, I just don't have the install disks for XP and I just was wondering if I could make install disks from what I have now.
No but you should be able to chase up images for the CDs of the version of XP you have and your key should work. Is this a custom built system or black box from Dell, HP or someone else?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

It's a custom built system...about 4 years old now with a few upgrades here and there (memory, gfx) about 2 years ago...

Old 02-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Chase up a friend with the CD you need? Reuse your key when you rebuild? If Memory serves you can copy the XP CD...I don't think there was any copy protection on it...

Old 02-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Suite307

The media you use to install XP isn't all that important *cough*, as long as you got a legit CD-key.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote