Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-14-2006, 02:55 AM   #81
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
DoD:S is included in a package? We had to get it seperately. There was seriously no other way for us to get it.

Steam Store: DoD:S

Comes with Valve's Complete/Premiere Pack or the Multiplayer Pack, or as a seperate purchase. I don't see "included with HL2" anywhere.

CS:S, however, came free with HL2 purchases, as did HL2DM. At least originally. Now, buying just HL2 gets you HL2 and Lost Coast, and that's it.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:12 AM   #82
o_etzell

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
You still ignored my Garry's Mod example. Saying that it used to be illegal, but now Valve doesn't care is like saying that it's illegal to sell alcohol in the US, because it was in the 20's.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 06:26 AM   #83
o_d3pth charge

Stop being a smart arse, it's not like that at all, since that happened 87 years ago. It's common knowledge that alcohol is legal now, it isn't common knowledge that Valve allows the use of their materials now. Don't try and pretend like you KNEW they allow the use, you (like everyone else) just assumed you could use them from the start without even looking into the legality of it. Garry's mod doesn't get in trouble because it's ok now to use that stuff, I'm sure valve would have complained if he had implemented css and dods stuff in the very beginning when they prohibited it.

Anyway, the point I was making is that Donny wasn't lying or talking out of his ass; he was mistaken and had a perfectly legitimate right to be. I said right in my post that it IS OK NOW, so don't be telling me that I am trying to say it is now still illegal, as that's not what I said. What I am saying is, stop bitching at him--he's not "making up" reasons to not use lights.

JESUS. I never expected such a stupid subject to become a flame war :P
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #84
o_ambex

you're all embrassing Donny in his mapping..

To implement new models from other mods is free you illiterate morons.

this question doesnt remain unasnwered valve told Y'all go read in the valve wikipedia documents why do I need to remind this to people..

stop startle innocent mappers damn.. whatever noone can force him

Last edited by o_ambex; 06-14-2006 at 07:35 AM.
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #85
o_player

The fact is xnarf, saying it was illegal in the past is a completely invalid argument because it no longer is so Donny's logic was flawed from the start.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #86
o_donny

Thanks xnarf for finally reading what I said and noticing the point, and not being an ass first and forget what I said but:

Make your own gay texture whine thread, no more off topic on this one for fucks sake. G-Man has been sent to rape you.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 06:28 PM   #87
o_player

nO HE HASN@T.

And, for your information, I knew what you were talking about from the start; I, like Etzell, felt like pointing out the fact that you were far from correct.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #88
o_darksoul

ON TOPIC FFS
o_darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2006, 01:55 AM   #89
o_bumgravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Yeah, I like people to see how worse turns to bad :P
*trying to install steam on other computer to start mapping again*

EDIT: Ok Im almost at the same point I was when the hard drive got screwd. I have done better work atleast with the door from which the players "got to the map".
Note that I havent done anything with the walls in the back.

EDIT2:
I whipped up some screenshots.

(If you wonder that sign that is black atm because of the block light brush, it will be "This (crappy) map was made by Donny aka EvilSeeD" sign)

I dont think I have to explane this one. It's the exit door which leads to the "play area".
and the grey dev texture blocks, they are for the cap point tracking, to see how badly your team is getting owned or other way :P)
I went back to post 54 to find the original point in this thread, to try and get back on topic. It was about lights around the base. Personally i think you should add lights round the base, its too dark and not-obvious. By what means and how legal it is however, i believe has been discussed already. The point is, maybe you should have some lights there, but as yu said maybe you think its works best like that.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2006, 03:37 AM   #90
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumGravy
I went back to post 54 to find the original point in this thread, to try and get back on topic. It was about lights around the base. Personally i think you should add lights round the base, its too dark and not-obvious. By what means and how legal it is however, i believe has been discussed already. The point is, maybe you should have some lights there, but as yu said maybe you think its works best like that.
It's not the base, it's just eye-candy building in the spawn.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:30 AM   #91
o_etzell

Your eye-candy building looks like it was just slapped in there, the rock face looks like it was there before and unchanged, but your building looks as if it goes into the rock face. You might also want to have some pathways around the building, so it looks worn-in. Right now it looks really out of place.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:43 AM   #92
o_ambex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
Your eye-candy building looks like it was just slapped in there, the rock face looks like it was there before and unchanged, but your building looks as if it goes into the rock face. You might also want to have some pathways around the building, so it looks worn-in. Right now it looks really out of place.
my advice to you donny is that you repaint the whole building throughout and add more decals

Old 06-15-2006, 02:49 PM   #93
o_player

I think this is what Etzell has in mind, or something along these lines to make the building blend in with the cliffs. Below is a quick idea done in Paint; I like MS Paint

Old 06-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #94
o_etzell

Even with your MSPaint help, I think it might be that the building seems far too darkly textured. Lighter textures would help ease the pain, along with the changes/additions you've made, player.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:44 PM   #95
o_donny

The textures are placeholders like I said earlier.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #96
o_etzell

The thing is, though, it's not JUST a texture problem. You have no shifting between "RUGGED ROCK FACE" and "Eyecandy building." It looks really out of place, like it's missing something.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #97
o_ambex

Etzell is right..

this looks inexpensive and cheap

so establish the damn house to a normal look or g unit will rape u.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #98
o_donny

that wall thing for the wall in that paint thing, it looks ugly and would not serve for any purpouse, for the sidewalk, sidewalk for sidewalk? See that there is already a sidewalk. That would also make it look ugly.

Im the artist, it's my call :P

Old 06-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #99
o_player

My version doesn't look as ugly though. And my version also serves a reasonably fine purpose; to make it look better, and of course, when done in hammer, it will look much better. But then again, my example was only to give you an idea. I didn't say "Do this or G-Man will rape you...", it was supposed to get you thinking of ways to make the building fit in.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #100
o_donny

What if it's not suppose to fit in? It's the arena, the whole canyon was build just to kill each other and they built an enterance to the arena?
High-tech building in the middle of nature is not suppose to look like "Hey that blends in" it should look like "Hey look at me! Im high tech and metallic and you can see what was build by human from this picture!"