Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Question for those who play TF2

First of all I haven't played TF2 yet so I try to stay away from making too much of a judgement. I've tried some FF but only as much as my laptop has allowed me to.

I only played a bit of TF and a lot of TFC, and what I loved about the game was the depth of movement. Other first person shooters mostly come down to deathmatching with occasional tactical knowledge. TFC, or at least the way I played it (Lighter classes, attacking), required movement skills.

What does TF2 offer in this area? From what I've gathered concs and bunnyhopping are out, are there any new types of movement? Can you change your trajectory midair, rampslide?

Old 10-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Norris
The Good German

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
no to all.
it's most likely teamorientated deathmatch. there are no movement tricks beside the doublejump, rocketjump, stickybomb jump afaik

Old 10-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
EngeeMan
Banned

Team Fortress 2 is about attacking/defending points as a 9 radically different classes to suit many different styles of play. The game, from the group up is based on having 2 or more players coordinate and use their individual strengths cover each other's individual weakness.

Pretending you're a pretty ballerina, flipping in the air as dainty as can be isn't really part of that structure. Fortunately there are many games that cater to that sort of gameplay, including the one on this site. Unfortunately for you the amount of players who enjoy this sort of thing seems to have been dropping off dramatically since the original Quake has come and gone.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

Easy there, tiger. No need to be hostile, it was just a question.

Also I didn't envision myself as a ballerina when I played tfc, or anything else for that matter. Do you envision yourself as an EngineerMan when you play tf2?

I haven't seen many games offering the same kind of movement other than a few deathmatch games which isn't really my cup of tea.

Edit: And none that offered conc jumping and rampsliding

Last edited by bokko; 10-20-2007 at 04:37 PM.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

TF2 is focused more on team work. It is insanely impossible to capture a point by yourself. In order for a point to be captured quickly 3 or more people have to be at the point. More or less TF2 went away from jumps and air control and focused more on what a group of players can do versus what one guy can do. Both the offense and defense have to work together or they'll get bulldozed. My only complaint is that its so balanced you see quite a bit of stalemates. Not to say it isn't fun its just annoying when you play your hardest and neither team comes out victorious. If you try to play TF2 like you played TFC you aren't going to have fun. An Engineer isn't going to find getting a SG up in 2fort very easy unless he has at least one guy keeping people off of him. The Demoman no longer has any weapon other than his two pipes and a melee so he is even harder to use. The medic is no longer an offensive class and the scout can now defend himself. He still has low health but he can also own you if you let him get too close to you. The Pyro can instantly waste any class provided he gets them in a small area. Overall the rest of the classes are about the same. Sniper, Spy, Soldier, and Heavy can all play the same rolls as they have in the past. A Heavy with a Medic trailing behind can be an awesome combination if it is done right. That added with respawn times makes you pay more attention to your actual aim rather than just concing past the defense. Its a great game but if you have problems killing people you'll likely be turned off from it. For the same reason people don't like CS they'll also dislike TF2.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Jetpac
E-COOL

Tf2 is a very balanced game.
much more so that TFC and FF will ever be. the classes are very set with abilities to do certain things and the teamwork is usually good.

It is however i find very slow, i love tfc and FF so i personally find the TF2 gameplay a little slow and im still on the fence as to whether i get it or not!

it is however one of the best looking games visually you are going to se efor a while.

and as has been said: apart from the SCOUTs double jump, The SOLDIERS rocket jump and the DEMOMANs Sticky bomb Jump, no other classes have any movement tricks, which can be a bit frustrating if you are used to the old style fortress games

Old 10-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

Also can we please try to stay on topic.
I don't want essays about what TF2 has to offer that isn't movement based.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Hired-Gun
HG'S ARMAMENTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokko
Well i guess you ask questions about things you allready know,so this is it Quake serie,TFC and FF are the oly games that have some sort of movment style that i know about.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Quote:
Then to put it even more simply the answer to your question is: TF2 offers nothing in the movement area other than the Scouts double jump.

Guess we can lock this topic now that you have your question answered.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:11 AM   #10
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Jeez, I guess the TF2 fanboys were uncovered ;D

Old 10-21-2007, 03:56 AM   #11
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Guess we can lock this topic now that you have your question answered.
What is the point of locking a topic, exactly? Perhaps somebody else has a question regarding TF2... like I have?

What role do classes like the pyro, soldier, and spy play?

Old 10-21-2007, 04:36 AM   #12
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Pyro is labeled in game as "Offense" but in a few of the point control maps he is just as good at Defense. Pyro comes loaded with his shotgun flamethrower and his melee (an axe) so he does decent with pretty much any group and can do ok solo as long as he doesn't meet any Soldiers or Heavys head on then he is toast.

Soldier is pretty much the same in TFC and FF. He can rocket jump and play offense/defense/support. His critical hit rocket will almost instantly kill any of the light/medium classes. Probably the only class that can solo any of the other classes without needing some help.

Spy also the same as TFC and FF. Can disguise as enemy players and one hit shank a player in the back. Main differences are: cloaking has a time limit (recharges when not in use), no tranq replaced with a pretty powerful revolver.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:46 AM   #13
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Quote:
First of all I haven't played TF2 yet so I try to stay away from making too much of a judgement. I've tried some FF but only as much as my laptop has allowed me to.

I only played a bit of TF and a lot of TFC, and what I loved about the game was the depth of movement. Other first person shooters mostly come down to deathmatching with occasional tactical knowledge. TFC, or at least the way I played it (Lighter classes, attacking), required movement skills.

What does TF2 offer in this area? From what I've gathered concs and bunnyhopping are out, are there any new types of movement? Can you change your trajectory midair, rampslide?
no, almost everything is just walking. but, dont think it isnt fun. i thought TF2 was going to be horrible, but i was presently surprised. Both FF and TF2 are fun, both are different, and both are equally fun!
i love when you are an HW, and you start to laugh manically when you shoot at people with your gun. >: )

Old 10-21-2007, 04:47 AM   #14
greenday5494
D&A Member

also, SGs are the most uber thing in TF2. since theres no nades, they are impossible to take down. even a LVL 1 SG kills alot! SGs need to balanced in TF2, to compensate for lack of nades.

ALSO, rocket jump, and the double jump is almost useless. they really are. i never use them. the rocket takes too much DMG, and it barely moves you up!

Old 10-21-2007, 04:49 AM   #15
Mike.Gayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
also, SGs are the most uber thing in TF2. since theres no nades, they are impossible to take down. even a LVL 1 SG kills alot! SGs need to balanced in TF2, to compensate for lack of nades.
Erm, SG's are easy to take out in TF2. They have a fairly short range, so a lot of the time rockets and pistols are good. Demoman's sticky grenades make quick work of them, and the spy's sapper is extremely effective.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:51 AM   #16
greenday5494
D&A Member

yes, but the engy gets an alert when the sapper is in use. (and yes, i DO play TF2. i like it, and i like FF. )

Old 10-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #17
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

In response to HiredGun: I don't know, that's why I asked. I had heard that there was no air control but I needed a confirmation. There was also a possibility someone had discovered a new type of movement but maybe that will come in due time (Features not intended, such as chopping in TFC).

I think it's a shame they chose to completely remove an unique type of playing style that imo was a lot of fun and took a lot of skill to master. And hopefully FF will be able to introduce this to a new generation of gamers.

And why should that be the end of the topic? I'm sure you we could discuss the scout's doublejump for example, is it similar to the one in Unreal 2 XMP? Let's just try not to stray off and start talking about TF2 in general. There are enough threads out there repeating the same old things over and over again.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #18
Sabre
Creg

TF2 has been designed pretty much for consoles any sort of advanced movements/techniques would prove too hard to control on a pad therefore they have been removed leaving a dull, slow, boring game.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #19
LeMaltor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
TF2 has been designed pretty much for consoles any sort of advanced movements/techniques would prove too hard to control on a pad therefore they have been removed leaving a dull, slow, boring game.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #20
EngeeMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
lol no

Closed Thread