Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 08-11-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
o_imbrifer

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
2morforever

It's about damn time, so here:

From top right to top left, &c: Back corner of spawn; end of spawn hallway looking towards spawn; greatroom looking up ramp; greatroom looking towards spawn hallway; top of ramp looking towards flagroom;

Looking at flagroom (in the doorway in the previous shot); flagroom to front of base (What FryGuy says is right - front entrance on left, sniper deck on right); going to sniper deck from previous shot; looking across sniper deck; looking at front of base;

left base entrance hallway; right base entrance hallway; room with water entrance on right, elevator in distance and shot7 up above; water entrance; elevator to flagroom;

top of ramp looking out to greatroom (the holes will eventually have turning fans - any modelers want a simple task? ); below bridge looking at base/water entrance; looking at water entrance; water tunnels; battlements looking at capture point

No skybox yet, and I'm working on the smoothing groups.

I've spent plenty of time tearing y'alls maps apart, so tear this bastard down

This map is complete (and the above screens are old) but download it at these mirrors:
http://www.feafe.com/2morforeverdm.zip thanks to Tennovan
http://nagual7.free.fr/2morforeverdm.zip thanks to nagul678
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
o_loader

Looks very nice m8.. Well done
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Looks good!

The hanging wires on the front don't quite look purposeful enough, though if I actually examined the map, they might look better. I like the rest of the asthetic changes, though.

Did you port over the skybox bug?
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 09:11 PM   #4
o_someoldguy

First the compliments:

I really like what you've done with the lighting, and the bridge itself is quite nice. Overall, I'm quite impressed!!!!

Now for the questions/concerns (and even though you've gratefully included the original views, I dont' recall this map so forgive some of my ignorance in the questions):

a) One of my "map issues" (and not just on your map) -- there are no direction signs or indicators where one needs to go. To me, especially when you are new to the map and/or have new people playing it the first time, those little signs ("Flag Room -->") and the like are extremely helpful. Obviously not necessary after you've played it, but when you first play it these things make it user and newbie friendly.

b) Any chance you can tell us what we are looking at for each of the piccies? Some areas are self-explanatory, but just showing a bunch of screenies makes one wonder which is respawn and flag room etc. Which leads me to my next question/concern:

c) Is this the respawn on the left?

If so, leaving it open like that will lead to spawn camping. If not, ignore what I just said!

d) Top of this ramp looks awkward... that step down just doesn't work for me.

e) Do these stairs look too steep? Or is it just me?

f) And twins?

Except for a few minor jaggies here and there, I like!
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
o_fryguy

In c), that is the bridge leading from the flagroom to the front door (left) and battlements (right). Below and to the left is the water entrance, and below and to the right leads to the other ramp room.

Is this based on 2morfort, or fry_morfort if I might ask?
o_fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Oh man, the windows... The same dirty windows over and over again...

I'm sorry, it's just weird. All these filthy disgusting windows with remarkably similar splotches on them... A little variation would help. Maybe even break a few. Mix it up.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
o_someoldguy

Thanks, FryGuy. It's been 1.5 years since I played TFC, so my memory is hazy at best.

Of course, being old doesn't help in the memory department either.
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 11:28 PM   #8
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Much better than the original one
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2005, 12:55 AM   #9
o_imbrifer

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll edit the top post to denote which screenshot is where. This map is based on AndyC's 2morfort1_1. I have had no luck trying to find the bastard - his old email account is dead and I can't find any way to contact him (the fact that 'AndyC' is not a unique handle doesn't help much either). If anyone knows how I can find him to ask permission (even though it seems a little late), please let me know.

SomeOldGuy:
The textures I'm using are the ones that come with HL2DM and hourpitures(sp) texture pack (only the rocks come from that, though). I don't have any textures which are indicator signs - if I find some, I'll surely put them in because not only do they help new players out, they also make the map come together more and seem more professional (in my opinion). If any texturers would like to make some, please let me know
I'll look into changing the top of the ramp, though it may be difficult. It's not really a step down, more of a step out from the platform the viewer is standing on to the top point of the ramp (the edge is curved), but again I'll see what changes I might be able to make.
The stairs are not really steep - they have a 8 height to 12 length ratio, which is pretty standard I believe. I'll release a beta once I get the smoothing groups and skybox going (and flip the bases) so people can snoop around and criticize it more, if they feel like it. Same thing with Jiggles comment about the wires - once I release a beta, let me know. I'm just a fan of wires in maps, so I might just be biased... Wait, what skybox bug?

Circuitous: Yeah, I played around with the windows for a long time. I tried flat glass panels, some ones with nice borders, and some more broken up ones. Hopefully I can either find some appropriate window textures in a texture pack somewhere, or the FF team will release some relatively fitting ones with their FFMDK. I actually changed it at the last minute - all of the windows in the big room were grates. Maybe I'll change them back...

Any more comments are welcome!

edit: Holy Crap the map won't open.. it says "Out of memory loading solid". Another message comes up saying "File C:\dir\2morforever.vmf, line 40429: error 7" Anyone have any idea how I can fix this? Can I just pop it open in notepad and do something to line 40429? Can I open a .dxf? Decompile the .bsp?

edit edit: well, I found a .bsp decompiler, and it worked but nothing is grouped and all brush-based entities were moved to world. Before I go back and arduously make everything func_details and grouped again, is there some way I can open the .dxf (what you export it to before you compile it)? Or any other way? And why does this sh*t happen to me? Blargh!

Old 08-12-2005, 01:27 AM   #10
o_zorro

looks cool
o_zorro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2005, 02:17 AM   #11
o_fizzle

o man! i remember that map

nice job dude, very nice work
o_fizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2005, 04:05 AM   #12
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
Wait, what skybox bug?
The original version of 2morefort had a bug where, if you conced to the battlements, you could get stuck in the skybox, and you would need to duck jump about 100 times to get free

And good luck getting the map working again. I know Hammer can be quite a bitch sometimes
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #13
o_docwolfe

it happens because hammer is a large peice of shit
o_docwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2005, 10:41 AM   #14
o_elvis2049

i'm just wondering about all the new mapdisigns.
it all lokks great.
but there is also my consern.
they all have some object sticking out off it (like pillars)
it looks great but all off the concs will be stopt there ....
so maby it is a good idea to keep the walls clean from objects like in the normal tfc
o_elvis2049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2005, 08:44 PM   #15
o_smiling_ol_fu

this map sure brings back a lot of morat memories. love the remake wd
o_smiling_ol_fu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2005, 02:20 AM   #16
o_imbrifer

Heh.. the skybox bug will not be making a comeback, but I have thought of making a trigger at the top skybox which teleports conc jumpers behind the bars in some of the screenshots :twisted:

The wires will not prevent concjumping - fear not. And with FF in general, concjumping will get more or less 'remade' to fit the more elaborate and exciting maps (not to mention new concs and such).

I'll just group things up and keep truckin' tomorrow. If I change any textures/lighting or flip the bases, expect tasty new shots. I'm leaving for greece on wednesday, but hopefully I can get a test map to run around before then.

And thanks for the compliments, all!

Old 08-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #17
o_kam

Yeah and if anyone bhops, they get instantly gibbed COOLOLOL!!!11
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #18
o_loader

What about concajumping?
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2005, 10:28 AM   #19
o_bokko

Yes, conca jumping (and bunny hope) will be in FF!
Nice looking map, never played the original though!
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2005, 02:14 PM   #20
o_kam

Think I played this in q2 threewave ctf. Checked it out in tfc but it's like a piece of piss to defend. FryGuys version was decent though~
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote