9 years...hell they could release it rigght now

Edit: Not! Fuck TF2 >

Old 03-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #22
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
TF2 started out as brotherhood of arms - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tf2 and was intended to be released right after half-life 1 was released. But instead, TFC was released in its place.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 02:25 PM   #23
GhOsT

Yes, and the TF2 devs didn't like the direction the game was going and thought it would work better under the new Source engine. I tend to agree with their descision since IMO the new art style fits TF very well.

It would've been nice if 6-7 years ago they said that they were going to postpone production of TF2. Course I don't think they could say the reason back then cause Source was still a secret.

I am confident we will see Episode2/TF2/Portal within a year's time (hopefully around september/october though).
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #24
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
I vaguely remember reading something about the selectable grenade. Don't quote me though.

That started with the video of the demoman. His PL/GL is pulled BACK when he pulled out the bundle of TNT. It sure looked as though the grenade was a weapon selected to replace the PL/GL.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #25
GhOsT

And it ended with an interview with Robin Walker (I think). I can't look now but if I remember I'll look when I get home. He said in an interview that you will not be able to fire a weapon and prime a grenade at the same time.

I just hope that they keep is so you can just hold down a button instead of having to actually select the weapon.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #26
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Yeah, I think not being able to fire while priming a gren is ok, as long as you don't have to select it first. Good thing they're keeping priming though, because otherwise then it would be as crappy as Halo's system
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #27
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est
That started with the video of the demoman. His PL/GL is pulled BACK when he pulled out the bundle of TNT. It sure looked as though the grenade was a weapon selected to replace the PL/GL.
Cant remember where I read it, but its my understanding that grenades have their own buttons, same as the old system, but you cannot fire your weapon while priming. (as others have said). in the trailer, you only see the demo do this from an external view, so you do not know the mechanism for grenade throws, only that the priming is displayed through character animation, and the regular weapons are inoperable while priming, which fits either mechanism. and since grenades only as selectable weapons is stupid as heck for a TF game, we hope, pray, and assume that is not the case.
fishBurger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #28
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Priming while being able to use your other weapons is gonna give FF an advantage in the competitive space.

I'm pretty concerned about TF2's gameplay at this point. Focus group testing alone isn't going to generate the same kind of gameplay that we've come to respect from Valve and their previous TF games..

Given the direction they were taking TFC towards the end of their support for that game.. I dunno...
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #29
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
the priming ability was rather unique to TF - it's what made it special. going against the grain of that is surely a daft move?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #30
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
does it matter that much? FF is free, and plus im loyal not only for the diligent efforts in bringing the community a blood sweat and tears mod. but the fact that all these years we have learned to hate the creators of TFC because of their disregard for our choice of game. not to sound so anti-valve here but, when you look at it, they have no updated the game truly since the 1.1.0.0 patch. which was roughly 2000 - 2001
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #31
mistermojo
the pumps dont work

would you rather they update it and have another CS 1.6 on our hands?
mistermojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #32
Fail

You have to look at this from Valve's perspective. Lots more people are getting into games. 'Dumbing down' gameplay to an extent allows you to attract more casual players and if you don't retardize it you also won't chase away the competitive scene.
Fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #33
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: Soldier, O
Gametype: Doubble Mode
Affiliations: Cassiotone Nation
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Walker
You can still hold down the grenade key
to prime & hold the grenade for some time before throwing it, but you're
unable to fire your primary weapon during that time.
FUCK!! Well, there goes a significant portion of my interest in TF2.

To my mind, as more people get into gaming the less reason there is to dumb games down. You can have a game with great depth of skill, and still have a broad player base.

Phah. Now I'm pissed.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #34
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
oh my shit.... this was shamefully taken from the TF2 forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy83
Todays issue of german gaming magazine PC Action features an exklusive preview of Team Fortress 2. Cover

The German website Half-Life Portal summarized the most important facts in this article: http://www.hlportal.de/?site=news&do...s&news_id=5054
Maybe someone wants to translate the whole article. The most important news:
  • Black box will be released at the end of september 07
  • There will be no more grenades for all player classes besides the demo man.
  • Capture the flag is now known as "capture the documents". You have to steal an executive case.
  • Scout can make double-jumps like in UT games.
  • Medics can heal over great distances and make you invulnerable for 10 seconds
no grenades?! what the fuck are they thinking? can someone who speaks german read that article and confirm this?

Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 PM   #35
BikerHorst

it says, there wont be the normal (frag) grenade anymore because valve thinks it makes all classes too similar
it will have teleporters and dispensers
a personal statistic system
it would be possible to have players from pc, xbox and ps3 player play together (but that depends on sony and microsoft)
multicore (cpu) owners get unknown grafikdetails
every class will have its own close range weapon
scout-baseball bat, soldier-shovel,pyro-fire axe,demo-broken bottle,hw-fists,engi-wrench,medic-bone saw,sniper-thigh,spy-knife

in the map well trains will run through the map and the players should avoid them (?????)

its late and that makes my english pretty bad ... so hopefully not to many mistakes =)

Last edited by BikerHorst; 03-20-2007 at 11:32 PM.
BikerHorst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 11:31 PM   #36
mistermojo
the pumps dont work

holy shit no grenades? didnt they say there's concjumping though? will it be a weapon or some shit? that makes sense, of course, this way they can make it noobie friendly and console friendly
mistermojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #37
C-Aim
Better than Never

I hope that 10 second invulnerability thing is false because if it isn't then I won't play TF2. Imagine having 2 medic 2 scout team and they group up in the enemy base; they would rape the defense so badly.

Also keeping in the teleporters even though most of TFC hated them is a bone-headed move. I know they will be getting so many new players because they are packaging it with portal and EP2 but it almost seems like they are trying to scare current TFCers away.

Plus, conc jumping will suck badly (can't shoot while priming) IMO.

And finally: Personal statistics is pretty much begging players to be arse holes and non-team players to pump up their stats.
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 11:40 PM   #38
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerHorst
it says, there wont be the normal (frag) grenade anymore because valve thinks it makes all classes too similar
it will have teleporters and dispensers
a personal statistic system
it would be possible to have players from pc, xbox and ps3 player play together (but that depends on sony and microsoft)
multicore (cpu) owners get unknown grafikdetails
every class will have its own close range weapon
scout-baseball bat, soldier-shovel,pyro-fire axe,demo-broken bottle,hw-fists,engi-wrench,medic-bone saw,sniper-thigh,spy-knife

in the map well trains will run through the map and the players should avoid them (?????)

its late and that makes my english pretty bad ... so hopefully not to many mistakes =)
there went all my interest in competitive TF2
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2007, 12:11 AM   #39
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
FF Devs, rejoice. If this is true, valve has just dropped an enormous portion of the community right into your lap.
fishBurger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #40
Digital_Ghost

Also don't forget that the medic will no longer beale to infect. This i will miss, but won't miss at the same time. Either way they better come up with something damn good to counter balance this. Otherwise why have the class as a medic if he cant infect/heal.
Digital_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote