Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
(..jump pads..)

The offense would still be slow, but man, if HW's could reduce the time it takes to get there by even 50% we'll see some interesting offensive changes.

That's the worrying part. Expect your D to be flooded with heavy classes. IMO the jump pad effect should be heavily influenced by the players "weight", HW guys will get a boost from them, but nothing that'd propel them from one end of the aardvark yard to the other or any such silliness. Either you use speed and armor and so forth to assign certain classes a role in gameplay, or you don't.

Still, looking forward to this patch!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #82
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -pF-
That's the worrying part. Expect your D to be flooded with heavy classes. IMO the jump pad effect should be heavily influenced by the players "weight", HW guys will get a boost from them, but nothing that'd propel them from one end of the aardvark yard to the other or any such silliness. Either you use speed and armor and so forth to assign certain classes a role in gameplay, or you don't.

Still, looking forward to this patch!
I believe AfterShock mentioned it's based on class speed which relates to it's "weight" in propelling the class, so scouts and the other faster classes will get the most benefit of it while other classes not so much.

I think it's important for all of us to remember that the Devs are making some pretty drastic changes here, adding something like the Jump pad into the game could bring chaos to balance, but at the same time, this game NEEDED these type of changes. Before we jump down their throats let's actually play it, if you don't like it, then criticize it. It's like having seen the new Star Wars movies and saying the old ones are terrible if you haven't even watched them (IMO old Trilogy > new one.....anyways...) give it a chance. You might just like it.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #83
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
Yeah as yor can understand, leagues are supposed to start up soon, and its like this... if my members drop durning a match, umm its gonna suck, but i think if its the case, we'll just have to pause in place until he rejoins.
sure... go ahead and pause.... The enemy team will keep playing.

There will no allowances made for this bug. If it happens to you (or me) it's just tough luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Eh I was disappointed to hear the Pyro being downgraded. Doesn't help that class out at all. Now it looks that when you run out of napalms you are really fucked. :/

Worst change I've seen so far for a class that averages 1-2 kills a spawn and none of them being SGs.
Downgraded? Stop talking nonsense.

I was playing demo ramp on Aardvark and killing and/or severly injuring a LOT of the incoming enemies. Pyro OWNS. Also, he is a quite a movement class for ADL too. You can do backwards IC + nade jumps and REALLY move without taking much damage. The key is to catch the shockwave of the blast and not the damage radius.

I see this as a pyro upgrade.

Last edited by 4est; 01-24-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:03 PM   #84
Jester
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: O: Scout
Affiliations: {NFO} - New Family Order
I see this thread going in the same direction as the 3-slot thread.

"It doesn't matter what you post cause it's gonna be there."

Any news on bhop?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #85
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester

Some of us have played this version of the game before making generalizations....

Old 01-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #86
=AS= Pt

n1 4est

Old 01-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #87
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester

Any news on bhop?
Little faster.

Needs to be faster still, but it's better. Slightly.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:36 PM   #88
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
It's a fundamental of games design, that abilities which improve your gameplay whilst not detracting from the abilities of your enemies are more fun to play with. Furthermore, abilities which don't require interaction between players are also worse. If you want to debate the fundamentals of games design then we'll be in for a looong (and interesting!) discussion - but i'd rather keep it out of this thread if possible
Stopping you dying doesnt count as an improvement to gameplay.

I was actually talking about your own (friendly) offense, when you play with friendly fire on. I dont think caltropping your best medic is a bonus

You don't empty a tin of grenades outside your spawn that stay there forever and detonate on impact. Grenades disappear in a matter of seconds, caltrops don't.

Are you telling me that when you play against a scout you have to constantly be watching the floor for caltrops just in case he's dropped some while you weren't watching? And you're trying to argue that walking around watching the floor for little spikes is somehow 'deep' and 'strategic'? :P

Walking around a spike on the floor isn't anything to do with being 'smart'. It's being aware that they are there. If you didnt see the scout drop them, and you arent watching every inch of the floor as you move around, then you might accidentally tread on one. Awesome move mr scout! You outwitted a soldier! (not!)

If you're using caltrops mid combat vs a soldier then you aren't going to cap many flags. Scouts typically conc/slide/run straight past them or die trying. So what if you throw a load of caltrops at his feet. He'll still nail you with the grenade he has primed, the 4 rockets in his RPG and the 16 shells in his shotty. Caltrops are only used 'on the way past', or to 'hide them to catch them off guard', like when he resupplies, hide them around the corner or in the spawn door. There is no interaction and no strategy here, and further backs up my point that they are only used as an accidental 'dirty trick' to play on unsuspecting players.

So yeah, I know sometimes they are fun, but hopefully you'll come around to the fact they were more detrimental to the enjoyment of the community as a whole

Wow... Aftershock, I don't think you need to justify yourself like this. The game's been moving alot more since you took over and you're bringing fresh and interesting modifications that are more than welcome. This new patch looks very interesting so keep up the good work! KubeDawg's arguments are non-sense to me anyways, I feel he's just bitching because someone has to bitch when the game gets a face lift.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:47 PM   #89
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spy
Affiliations: -=DoM=-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
Wow... Aftershock, I don't think you need to justify yourself like this. The game's been moving alot more since you took over and you're bringing fresh and interesting modifications that are more than welcome.
--------------------------FF_Civibash_G(Released)------------------------
-------------------FF_Conc_G1(WIP)--------------------
-------------------FF_Hollow_G(WIP)---------------------

Old 01-24-2008, 11:51 PM   #90
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabeggar
I think it's important for all of us to remember that the Devs are making some pretty drastic changes here, adding something like the Jump pad into the game could bring chaos to balance, but at the same time, this game NEEDED these type of changes. Before we jump down their throats let's actually play it, if you don't like it, then criticize it. It's like having seen the new Star Wars movies and saying the old ones are terrible if you haven't even watched them (IMO old Trilogy > new one.....anyways...) give it a chance. You might just like it.

Aye, i'm not bitching - sorry if it sounded like it. It's obvious that with so many changes there'll be an issue or two that crops up.. but at least stuff is happening!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 AM   #91
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Nah, you weren't bitching, just think there are some people who talk non-sense and need to actually play this before making broad generalizations about the new patch.

FOR EXAMPLE! Most of the people I've encountered (including myself) thought TF2 was the anti-christ of online gaming...I was dead set against it without even giving it a fair chance...soon as I did I found it to be fun, for every reason I spoke out AGAINST it.

Point being, none of us except the beta testers have ANY room to talk bad about it until we try it.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:21 AM   #92
a082

where is 2fort?

Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 AM   #93
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by a082
where is 2fort?
Dead. The funeral was last week. Didn't you get the notice?

Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 AM   #94
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

I can't wait to throw a medikit!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:10 AM   #95
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
real answer: we havent got much manpower in the way of mappers at the moment. on the subject of mappers however, i still wanna finish off my castle map when i get a minute!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:17 AM   #96
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
real answer: we havent got much manpower in the way of mappers at the moment. on the subject of mappers however, i still wanna finish off my castle map when i get a minute!
So 2fort might not be ready for 2.0?

Old 01-25-2008, 01:19 AM   #97
Green Mushy
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via AIM to Green Mushy
1 thought about the new HH feature for newbies. Sometimes I am in the situation where i have a conc primed and im hanging around the flag, and im waiting to conc over it, grab the flag, and bhop out. Sometimes im 5 feet away and have a 1 second or less window of time when i want to just run for the flag and not jump, because the jump will send me and my primed conc flying up without the flag. With the new system, if i decide that i dont want any air when i have a conc primed, i may miss some flags. Is this something that went overlooked? Should i be worried? If this situation is not clear, i may have to clarify it further.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:27 AM   #98
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Is there any chance someone could test pyro speeds while turned around shooting his flamethrower at various angles while moving over a jump pad?

I'd be curious to know what his speeds are.

Ronald Reagan

Old 01-25-2008, 01:42 AM   #99
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Is there any chance someone could test pyro speeds while turned around shooting his flamethrower at various angles while moving over a jump pad?

I'd be curious to know what his speeds are.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:05 AM   #100
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

^ ...overpowered.

Closed Thread