Old 09-10-2008, 01:07 AM   #81
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
i thought the same thing. DRM has been proven that it is, and always will be, useless. Just put in some basic things like CD Key, no copying of the CD allowed, and need disc in drive. Although it is VERY basic, it wont piss anyone off
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 04:21 AM   #82
Ramones

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
It's not worth the download imo.

The first minigame, the 2d arcade thing, was pretty fun. the 2nd minigame was ok, but then...

The 2001 homage was cool, i really laughed my ass off, but the sims slapstick humor with the bone killed it.
Ramones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #83
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

I wonder what went through their heads when they looked up torrent sites and saw thousands of people downloading their game 3 days before the release date.

"Oh yeah, all this money we put in the anti-piracy development was sooo worth it."
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #84
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
I wonder what went through their heads when they looked up torrent sites and saw thousands of people downloading their game 3 days before the release date.

"Oh yeah, all this money we put in the anti-piracy development was sooo worth it."
They felt like they were being fucked with a hod steel rod.

Bitches.
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #85
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
It's not Will Wright that wanted the DRM, it's EA.

Corporations tend to get dumber as they get bigger.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #86
Demasu
Official FF Medic

So I'm loving this game. Started out as a carnivore, and tried to go omnivore, but the mouth wasn't worth it for some reason I don't remember, and got stuck. Creature stage was awesome. My only problem was my allies sucked so I didn't do too well socially. Tribal was pretty cool too, being able to control little armies. Civilization, was awesome. Get to build some awesome vehicles and buildings, and I even got a nuke which was awesome. Space, is awesome, although crazy complex. The only thing I hate about space is that my colonies keep getting attacked all the time.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 01:36 AM   #87
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
AWESOME

Old 09-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #88
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu
The only thing I hate about space is that my colonies keep getting attacked all the time.
Thats the only part I dont like

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #89
Pon
Not choking. Yet.
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Demo/Def - Spy/Off
Gametype: Anything but yet more fucking CTF
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Yeah, space stage gets annoying.

However, people seem to be modding the game already, and making space stage less annoying seems to be the first goal

Some info about it here on GameFAQ's. I haven't tried it yet myself, but seems to work well enough.

YOU GUYS REALLY SHOULD UPDATE YOUR STAFF LIST!
I haven't posted since 2010...

Preferable to death. But only just...
Pon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 01:58 AM   #90
Tally

Gametype: Capture the Flag
I find it funny how they put all that effort into the DRM, only for it to already be torrented en masse, not even that long after release.

Well, they just lost a huge profit possibility.

(EA can suck a fat one, anyway. They deserve it)
Tally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 02:52 AM   #91
SmellyCat
Darknight

The cracked torrent was actually up three days prior to Spores release in US/Europe.

:P
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 04:06 AM   #92
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
It was a LOT more then three days....

Old 09-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #93
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard nixon
When you did the CIV phase did you do mostly military or diplomatic? Me I just killed as many cities as possible and moved to the next, rinse and repeat..lose some battles retreat build bigger army. I'm loving every second of it.
There is no such thing as a diplomatic victory in the civ phase. No matter what, you hostily take over the other civs either by shooting them with rockets or shooting them with influence beams and large versions of you speaking. It's exactly the same.

I have not tried an economic win, but I imagine that's just a waiting game as you can buy all other cities with money while playing as a 'peaceful' city.

I found that the 'depth' in the space age doesn't really exist, the difficulty in running around preventing your planets from being attacked by pirates and enemy civs is just frustrating. It has you running around doing a lot, but that's about it. All you need are 3 sets of large plants, medium plants, small plants, 6 herbivores, and 3 carnivores to get a planet up to full working order. This is especially easy as you have this on your home planet >already< and nothing else is needed. Increasing the T-score of whatever planet you are on is a tedious chore until you get the rays.

Buying systems from your allies is a redundant waste of time. You can have the absolute best possible rating with them and they won't cut you any deals. Anything lower than more-than-a-crap-load means they'll get angry at you and your trade bar will have to start over. There is not a passive conversion option, which really means the only two ways you can take something over is through money or bombs.

The reliance on money in the space-age is a huge letdown as the only way to make money is to sell spice and run missions (which give very bad amounts of money). It's very easy to min-max cash income by taking one color of spice and shipping it to a part of your empire, or your allies empire, that does not have that color of spice near it. A lack of establishing trade routes for this means that in order to generate cash you'll be doing an ungodly amount of mouse-wheel scrolling until you figure out the zoom in and out command.

The game is too casual and I feel they missed to mark here a bit. There's no real depth to the game - nothing else to learn after you've played through the game once, no real techniques to master... nothing of substance to draw you back in. The creature creator is great, but it's really just a neat way of giving your creature stats. The only phase where making your creature a certain way effects him is in the cell phase and very limitedly in the creature phase. Making him taller allows him to eat from trees and positioning spit weapons are all that matters... you can put horns on his head and you'll get the same effect as if you put them on his head.

To put it simply, they made the game too casual in all phases but the space age but they made the space age more grindy than any of the others, resulting in a very bad jolt. The reliance on money in the space age, coupled with the incredibly crude and tedious way to make it, really makes the game miss. Here are some seemingly simple ways to add depth to the game while putting more emphasis on the whole creation aspect of the game.

1. In the creature phase, make where your creatures weapons are effect how you attack. Spitting is like this, but the rest are not. Adding multiple spit weapons should increase the potency of your spit, or, allow you to spit more often... as an example

2. In the Civ and Space age, make the buildings you make have different modifiers like the creature, cell, and civ phase have. Make each object you put on your building increase or decrease the cost and give certain bonuses. An example would be to make the fan increase production of the factory by 2 while increasing the cost by $200.

3. In the Civ phase, the vehicles you make should attack and respond according to where and how you placed your weapons and have them have increased costs for things like multiple rockets/loud speakers for increased damage/rate of fire.

4. In the space age, replace trade routes with diplomacy. Same effect, different name.

4a. Make trade routes something you can put between two planets (as simple as clicking between two planets). This will automatically sell the spice of whatever type to whatever planet you have at certain intervals depending on how far away the planets are.

4b. Allow for manually flying the stuff from planet to planet to net you more cash.

5. Allow for peaceful ways to take over planets, such as a culture bomb which drops things from your species culture on to their planet. Alternatively, allow your diplomacy to allow you to build 'culture shops' on your allies planets. These allow for both agressive and non-agressive conversion.

6. Make it so the longer you have been allied with somebody, the more they like you. This babysitting of your allies is terrible and just makes it so it's better to not have any allies once you've expanded your empire past tiny. Make it so it's an option to help your allies from attackers/pirates, not a requirement.

That's about it. If things like this were added, it would eliminate the tedium of the space age while making the other phases something that isn't completely dull. Mainly in the creature and civ phases.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 12:12 AM   #94
tN|Orange
Solid.

Gametype: Control Point
Affiliations: Twisted Network
Ha, in addition to DRM and other crazy stuff (1 account per copy of spore) when I went to wal-mart all the copies of spore had electronic anti-steal devices on them. Wow.
tN|Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 01:57 AM   #95
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tN|Orange
Ha, in addition to DRM and other crazy stuff (1 account per copy of spore) when I went to wal-mart all the copies of spore had electronic anti-steal devices on them. Wow.
Stopping theft is wrong.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #96
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
it lasted all of two days for me. the fact that i had this super awesome 6 legged carnivorous flying ass raping mule made little difference further on in my game, in even the tribal stage. surely a creature that's naturally equipped to fucking dominate other species will? hell, i didnt even get a headstart in the weapons department. the stages all seem like totally isolated games.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #97
Segundo
Banned

Class/Position: Both
Gametype: Anticitizen
Affiliations: None
I didnt know there was DRM with the same until this thread, fyi i didnt buy the game, but I have the game. Take a guess how? haha.
Segundo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #98
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
I read somewhere that there will be a patch which will let you get installs back when you uninstall.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #99
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
I knew that was going to happen, that's why I bought it

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #100
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga
I read somewhere that there will be a patch which will let you get installs back when you uninstall.
The problem with this is that the entire reason for the complaints about this deals entirely with the fact that hard drives crash and you will not be able to uninstall it because your hard drive no longer works.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote