Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 PM   #41
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The europeans are having a league right now and have already played matchs and.. nothing going on here in america
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #42
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
If I can get just one more clan to join up I will start the league...would prefer like 3+ more, but it's doable with 4 clans at least til someone else joins up...

So spread the word that we need more clans and let's get this thing going!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #43
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

what about team hees? and what about all those european clans?

Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #44
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Where? send me links to their sites or contact info. in a PM and I will see what I can do!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 12-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #45
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
The problem is that this isn't an upgrade of TFC...it's just another mod. TFC is still a game that is played, unlike quake 2 from quake FF isn't the next TFC (literrally speaking) but another "TFC like" game.

If anything by your logic technically the leagues should be encouraging TF2 in place of TFC and letting FF fend for itself.

~Note: I totally agree with you and think it would be a great idea, but I also have several concerns and I feel they should be mentioned. Please don't get defensive and assume I'm attacking your stance.

I don't see how TF2 relates to TFC in any way aside from the name. All the features and strategy from TFC is in FF (concing is the best example) except the FF team added new features and sped up the gameplay a little bit.

I totally see FF as the evolution of TFC. Not TF2
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #46
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

I agree, but it's "technically" not so it's touchy.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 12-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #47
Vicious

The more you change, the less it is what it was supposed to be. FF was always considered to be an upgraded version of TFC. Better graphics, faster gameplay, but essentially the same thing. I think FF is almost exactly what it was supposed to be. I don't want a game that's nothing like TFC and I think most people stand with me on that.

I think the dev team did exactly what they set out to do but made some mistakes on the way. To error is to be human, neh? Also take in the consideration this was done in their spare time and I'm amazed it's the quality it is. Promotion is what it's mainly missing. It's not so buggy anymore. It's not so glitchy as it once was. The major issues have been addressed and the small ones will be worked out in time.

More players = more interest. Not only from the existing players, but from the dev team as well. If they know they have something that everyone wants, they'll be more driven to get it done. They have been selfless so far and I believe that's what drives them. Knowing that people want them to do what they've been doing and knowing that we think they've done a good job.

If all you see is negative negative negative, why would you keep doing it? If my boss only told me how shitty I was at my job, I'd quit. No questions asked.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #48
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Mister.D

I disagree with everything you said, except this: "Its not like HL2 is an easy game to mod anyway..."

Goodbye.
be_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #49
Mister.D

The player base is speaking for itself, but if you think that other mods like TF2 are stealing your thunder, you're sorely mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by be_
be_

I disagree with everything you said, enjoy your nerf game.

Goodbye.
Mister.D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #50
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.D
The player base is speaking for itself, but if you think that other mods like TF2 are stealing your thunder, you're sorely mistaken.
I never said I thought that. Either way this is not a debate about TF2...

On a positive note, I saw a clan tag that I did not recognize in a server, and they said they were in the FF league. How many more clans are required?

[edit] you changed my quote. That doesn't even make sense, though, because if I did say that, I would be enjoying my nerf game, and not saying, "enjoy your nerf game" as if I was leaving it. lol fail!

Last edited by be_; 12-06-2007 at 02:30 AM.
be_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2007, 02:45 AM   #51
Vicious

http://www.ugcleague.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7770

The user "dinosaur gas" shows the exact attitude that is part of why TFC is dying and why leagues need to put an end to its over-extended life.

New players do not come to assholes.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:02 AM   #52
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkieJ
and do you still play FF? Its good to see some clans out there then there will be some to fight!! But just make cool demos Or map iam biz at that too help the community ppl!
Yes. Every day. My clan practices every Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday. I've attended all but one practice.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2007, 04:04 AM   #53
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
If I can get just one more clan to join up I will start the league...would prefer like 3+ more, but it's doable with 4 clans at least til someone else joins up...

So spread the word that we need more clans and let's get this thing going!
look in google the tfl league and the ntfcl league, both are running european fortress forever leagues, i think there are links to the clans pages there.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #54
Preying mantis

Hi, this is Jason from Unreal fortress evolution, just my thoughts on the subject. I am hardly surprised by what people are saying, the DEV team for FF have done nothing wrong, they have made a fine mod, however as we found out on UNFE sometimes bug creep in even when the mod has been tested to death, and this can sometime spell disaster for a mod also one thing I came to realize after UNFE was released is that the majority of people don't want a hard core version of Team fortress anymore they want pick up and play, I don't like this fact but its true.

Any TF mod that faithly reproduces the classic team fortress is doomed to failure.

Don't blame the Dev team I'm sure they are as disappointed as the small fan base trying to get things moving, after all we know how much time and dedication goes into this kind of mod and to have it go nowhere is heart breaking and demoralizing to the core.
Preying mantis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #55
Norris
The Good German

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBuster
The europeans are having a league right now and have already played matchs and.. nothing going on here in america
not really.
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #56
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris
not really.
well.. i assumed that by reading things like this on the results

Fortress Forever 8on8 Season I
[En] [HoL] 30:180
-{TP.. xeno. 0:210
[CiC] [FCKR] 0:60
xeno. [CiC] 60:0
[CiC] [HoL] 0:60
*NoT* [CiC] 60:0
[CiC] -{TP.. 0:60
[En] [CiC] 60:

Old 12-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #57
Norris
The Good German

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
the 'D' next to the result means Default win.. which includes almost every game.

Last edited by Norris; 12-06-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #58
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

crap then... if there arent things done in the next month this is going down..

Old 12-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #59
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBuster
crap then... if there arent things done in the next month this is going down..
Things are begining to get done...the forums are being change up to allow for more diversity in addition to some behind the scene's things happening.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 12-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #60
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
If we want to help FF, first we have to identify the problem or problems we want to solve.

Too small a playerbase, including league participation.

How do we fix this?
A) Get the word out to more people.

Grass-roots is awesome, but we dont have many roots right now. As mentioned before FF needs a dedicated PR guy to get some attention for FF, and attract more people.
But if people are interested and they go to fortress-forever.com, all they will see is old media from beta and concept that might not have even made it into the current version. so...

B) Update the site.
News, dev journals, something on the front page should be added at least once a week. Following release, it was more than six weeks before the next news post. That's bad.
The site itself needs to be updated. The FAQ and info havent been updated since long before release was announced. The media is all concerned with development, showing off models that werent yet useable, with a small section of beta screens. Rework that whole section with fresh material. I'd reccommend redoing it by class, with shots of each class, their weapons, posed shots (along the lines of those nice ones GhostBuster did elsewhere) and some in game of the action and carnage. Then perhaps a general chaos screenshot section, and maybe an updated maps section showing released maps with overviews and up to date pics of the map.

C) Keep any new players attracted by helping them in game, showing them some of the cool things like conc, nade, pipe-jumping, sabotaging, three-level burnination. An orientation type welcome to FF map with bots has been mentioned alot, but we cannot rely on a feature that is WIP... Perhaps someone should draft a short, interesting guide to FF that is aimed specifically at newcomers to FF or TF in general. In game, help noobs! If you see an enemy spy being obvious and running around with a crowbar, let them know that you can see a crowbar and its obvious they are a spy. Give them some hints and tips, and maybe let em sneak past you. Even if you dont do so well one map, the community is benefitted and next map he might be on your team helping you win.

That's what i've got for helpful, attainable suggestions on helping FF.