Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #161
Toastie

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
welp, people are talkin about hooks and shit. If that actually happens the game is dead in the water lol
Toastie is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #162
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft View Post
I don't quite understand what is going on here. How are you going to remake TFC on a different Engine? That alone means it isn't going to be TFC. You mean Fortress Forever 2.
The idea of "remaking TFC" is simply to give us a solid base.

We can put FF as it is now on Steam, and we will. But when we do that, it needs to be more obvious that FF right now is old and newer stuff is being made.

If someone said remake FF on Source 2, where would we start? 2.47? The amount of work that requires is what you might call...many much works. So why put in a whole lot of effort just to get what we have right now on Source 2? 2.47 isn't even the original vision of FF, so how are we even going to find developers to make it? I can promise you very few game developers want to make FF as it is now, but a lot of game developers get excited at the idea of making a classic mode and really just making FF2. But it doesn't need to be called FF2, because FF is forever...we don't need a sequel, just a continuation except without losing the ability to play current and old shit.

Personally, FF has never hit the mark for me. It's come close, but there's so much more I wanted to do, just like everyone else. Like with hunted, cz2, waterpolo. I mean, hunted, wow...hunted was supposed to be an epic multi-map campaign of sorts (sorta like wolfenstein enemy territory and also in hindsight about like L4D). We didn't have the time and resources to accomplish this back in the day, which is why so much of hunted appears obviously unfinished. Look at the tunnel where the civ and bodyguards spawn, that alone was supposed to be a lot more in terms of making the assassination stuff more apparent than basically just having a team of assassins. We wanted to start each round with a bang...literally a bang, as in a failed assassination attempt from various bombs, which is why that car is sideways (and is supposed to be all blown up except our modelers never got around to it) and the tunnel is collapsed. We added a story to hunted, like how Foantaire-Fey is an anagram for Area Fifty-One. Other levels in the campaign would be centered around the Foantaire-Fey facilities, like a machine line cloning civilians. Other levels were going to come after the "escape" through some sort of chase sequences and more locations. Tying everything together and adding depth was was our goal that wasn't ever fully realized, although there are still some hints and whatnot.

We just wanted to experiment with cool game ideas and make cool shit, and that's still what we want to do. It's really not that complicated. But all this maintenance work on FF is for the birds. I want to make awesome new shit, not tweak the sentry so much for no reason.

It's hard to experiment with things when everyone is all bitchy about wanting this feature in or out, and even more difficult to develop when people can't even respect the fact that we create this game for free in our free time and it took about a hundred people to create FF over many years. You'll have to excuse me if sometimes I don't give a shit about people trying to force me to make their version of TF when I haven't even gotten to make my version properly (cz2 and its mode are supposed to be so much more, we just ran out of time). You want a polar bear to pop out the HW's ass when a spy is near? Well learn how to make games and join the dev team, because I'm not making that. Or will I? haha

So with all that said, how do we move FF to a new engine in a timely fashion? Well, number one is don't worry about all the chaotic design that slowed us down the first time around and still slows us down now. Just "remake TFC" aka make a classic mode that's based on TFC as it is right now on Steam, so we don't have to worry about design as much and can just focus on the actual development. Yeah, fix the nail grenade, that's a given. Teleporters? Yes, TFC has teleporters. bhop cap? Yes, TFC has a bhop cap. "But old TFC didn't have a blah blah wah wah wah" who cares when we just focus on recreating what's there right now.

But what about options? Yes, let people disable/tweak teleporters, bhop cap, etc. I want to play a classic mode with and without bhop cap, with and without teleporters, and so forth. And I'm pretty sure everyone else would enjoy that as well, so if you whine about that idea then please just take a step back and learn how to not be such a negative douche.

There's this weird misconception that has existed in the FF community since a decade ago: don't provide options, it'll fragment the community. I have news for everyone who thinks that: FF is one tiny piece of the entire fragmented TF community and then FF itself is fragmented because FF now vs FF in 2007 vs the idea of FF in 2004...a lot of people never even gave FF a chance because of how it didn't suit their needs when it comes to a TF experience. Fragmentation inside fragmentation, fragminception. It's not about avoiding fragmentation, it's about connecting everything together so the fragmentation doesn't hurt anything and in fact it helps grow the community.

Instead of arguing about why your idea is better, you can just make it and put it on workshop, let the people play it and just shut up trying to convince everyone your tickle grenade is the best idea ever and all us devs need to make it asap. That doesn't mean ideas are ignored, before any of you shit bricks.

Anyways, yes we need to remake FF, but I guarantee everyone here that will never happen if we don't start with a proper base that's sort of protected from all the unfocused design and feature creeping.

All we have to do is choose an engine and start working on it. Right now, all we can really do is concept and design. Until we have a decision on the engine, we're kind of in dev limbo regarding the new new stuff. However, development on current FF can continue as always (as in slow as mole asses, and we all know how slow moles' asses are).

This thread is a good example of how FF development slows down. Instead of focusing on the important things, everyone starts letting their minds run wild with all sorts of scattered ideas. It's fine having all these ideas, except we don't even have a proper base to work those ideas off of.

Currently, the hold up on the engine selection is not knowing anything about Source 2 and the fact that we're not sure we want to ask all the devs to spend $20 per month for who knows how long on Unreal 4. Think about if we had all the FF devs ever still active today paying $20 per month for the engine since 2004. At the most (and reaching a bit) that's about $20,000. Fuck that shit.

So we wait for the engine before we can start developing nextgen FF. And by the way, it would indeed be nextgen, as in beyond xbone and ps4. However, by taking FF to a modern engine, we could put FF on xbone and ps4 and everything, we can go as multiplatform as we want. I love the idea of at least spectating FF on a mobile device. I also love the idea of playing FF on a steam machine in the living room. The question at that point would be which mode would you play? I'd probably mix it up, lil bit o classic, lil bit o FF, lil bit o whatever.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #163
homie in reboks'

Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^ †
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jon View Post
If someone said remake FF on Source 2, where would we start? 2.47? The amount of work that requires is what you might call...many much works.
Quote:
All we have to do is choose an engine and start working on it.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:20 AM   #164
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

For now 2.47 just needs to be on Steam, not redone on a new engine yet, other than maybe Source 2013.

And then just picking an engine isn't as easy as just saying the words, it's taking time to figure this out.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #165
BlisTer
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
well put

(as for UE4, you can unsubscribe after the first payment and continue using it, until an important update comes up, which i think wont be frequently)

Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #166
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
Will there be caltrops in Unreal Fortress Classic Forever Souce 2.0?

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #167
Lynus
I like Ceyx
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Send a message via AIM to Lynus
Quote:

Currently, the hold up on the engine selection is not knowing anything about Source 2 and the fact that we're not sure we want to ask all the devs to spend $20 per month for who knows how long on Unreal 4. Think about if we had all the FF devs ever still active today paying $20 per month for the engine since 2004. At the most (and reaching a bit) that's about $20,000. Fuck that shit.

So we wait for the engine before we can start developing nextgen FF....
kickstarter and throw up a donation link/button on the site.. problem solved

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #168
homie in reboks'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXtric View Post
Will there be caltrops in Unreal Fortress Classic Forever Souce 2.0?
Will I unlock FF Pure mode if I get 8 friends from Facebook to follow the Twitter and post the loading screens on Instagram?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #169
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
Will I unlock FF Pure mode if I get 8 friends from Facebook to follow the Twitter and post the loading screens on Instagram?
Haha, I would hope not

Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #170
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Might there be a way to get hold of the TFC client/server network/dll interfaces (e.g. from valve or by figuring it out)? If so it might be possible to make a shiny new TFC client that connects to a TFC server (so it really is TFC from a functionality point of view).

If Valve have anyone who cares enough to think about it then they might be interested in any potential revenue from licensing an ancient game, so however little their expectations might be why not?..

Last edited by caesium; 07-09-2014 at 09:07 AM.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #171
Headz

Posts Rated Helpful 81 Times
As I understand current FF, the weight of a steam release is being unfairly rested on Dexter's shoulders, perhaps a player model upgrade would be most welcome to release it on steam.

So, how are the concepts coming along, any one here that can bring the concepts to fruition? even if it means keeping the animations the same.

As I have previously said job openings need to be added to the main page, a classy press release or sorts, and someone please reskin the website. with red/blue/black/white/dark grey theme. You know the main two colours of the teams !!

When I read the OP I was glad to read it, but now action must follow, and swiftly.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #172
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium View Post
Might there be a way to get hold of the TFC client/server network/dll interfaces (e.g. from valve or by figuring it out)? If so it might be possible to make a shiny new TFC client that connects to a TFC server (so it really is TFC from a functionality point of view).

If Valve have anyone who cares enough to think about it then they might be interested in any potential revenue from licensing an ancient game, so however little their expectations might be why not?..
They might, actually.... I know for a fact that TFC is STILL selling. That's kind of fucked up, if you think about it.... TF2 has been free for years now, as has FF.... but TFC is still bringing new gamers into the fold. I just checked the store, and it's still $4.99. That game may never die.

Back to your idea.... that would be pretty rad, to be honest about it. The only issue I can see would be server-side add-ons not translating well(if at all). Drippy's still has one of the most popular bot free server out there.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #173
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headz View Post
As I have previously said job openings need to be added to the main page, a classy press release or sorts, and someone please reskin the website. with red/blue/black/white/dark grey theme. You know the main two colours of the teams !
rice has a brand spankin' new website for FF. He's just waiting on some big update or steam release before it is installed.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #174
Lynus
I like Ceyx
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Send a message via AIM to Lynus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
rice has a brand spankin' new website for FF. He's just waiting on some big update or steam release before it is installed.
http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ad.php?t=23365

ricey, what gives? release this masterpiece.

Last edited by Lynus; 07-09-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Lynus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #175
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
I wouldn't be releasing it as is, it needs some changes, which means, start supplying me with http://i.imgur.com/vnD3ivH.jpg

Darkest, boldest brews possible kthnx.

Also, this is my master piece : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1133840/fort...e_hud_a1_2.png
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014

Last edited by Ricey; 07-09-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #176
Headz

Posts Rated Helpful 81 Times
? looks like one of them free wordpress themes.

I was expecting something bespoke, and I still expect that.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #177
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
FUCK I never knew those were grenades!
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #178
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
also teams r fine
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #179
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headz View Post
? looks like one of them free wordpress themes.

I was expecting something bespoke, and I still expect that.
Bespoke, haha, OMG, I am sorry, but you sound like the world's biggest cunt, LOL.

I was going to validate myself, but pretty much what I just said.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 AM   #180
homie in reboks'

That's an awesome HUD ricey