Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Pascal's Wager doesn't work anymore, Beetle.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #42
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
This isn't really breaking news, the Roman Catholic Church has always thought that they were the "one true church".

Christianity isn't about being a part of a church, it's about sharing the love of Christ who died...Well, at least Christians aren't like the Shia and Sunni Muslims who kill each other because they differ in their belief of the same religion...

Imagine, Baptists fighting Methodists, Catholics fighting Holiness! IT'S MADNESS
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #43
halo

They used to.
halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #44
C-Aim
Better than Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle
yep it is. I was just giving a different point of view. I knew what I was saying and why it would be a crappy reason to believe.

edit: doesnt make it false though
If God does exist and is omnicient then he/she/it is going to know that you didn't actually believe. I doubt you can bullshit God.

Anyway I would hope that God isn't as brutal as the churches make him out to be. I mean, religion is pretty much a roll of the dice in that your religion could change depending on where you were born an who your parents are. Had I been born in the Middle East I might have wound up being Muslim and not Christian, does that mean that I get cast down into hell because I wasn't born in the right place or to the right people? I would hope that if there even is a heaven or hell that generally good and decent people go to heaven and generall bad and evil people go to hell, not that Akbar goes to hell because he didn't believe in Christ but John goes to heaven because he did.
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 03:33 PM   #45
Zaskar

The idea that god needs to be worshiped is made up by every separate religion to empower themselves.

if there truly is such a thing as a god, stupid crap like worship wont make an effect. Id almost think he would be pissed at such an amazing waste of time that worshiping does and how stupid you are for not using your brains natural want to question everything that has no proof, and buying into the churches BS asking for blind faith.
Zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #46
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
God demands worship just to mess with humans. He's solidly in the dolphin camp.
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #47
halo

They've built camps? Oh no! Not long left now, we're all doomed .

Old 07-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #48
tu!

fuck all relegion.

buddhism is okay though.
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #49
Beetle
Beta than eva'

my aethiest friend says the same thing. srsly
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #50
Etzell
D&A Member

That's because Buddhism is all about bettering yourself through thought. Not to mention the fact that you can be Christian and Buddhist, or Muslim and Buddhist, or anything else and Buddhist.

Major religions are more of: "You can only be this, or you're going to hell. Be good, or you're going to hell. Oh, and, uh, could I have 10%?"
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #51
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu!
fuck all relegion.

buddhism is okay though.
tu!, this is the only time you have ever made me laugh.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #52
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
If a 'good' person did an evil thing, then surely that would make them evil? Not good..
By definition evil is the knowing or willing loss of good. The point of that quote was saying that it is through religion that people who would otherwise be considered good are brought to commit acts that make that are considered evil because they do not know any better. Someone who is brought up to know and think only one thing is not at fault for that. Indoctrinated people are similar to animals in that respect. If a rabid dog went into a park and killed 5 children it would remain no more or less evil/good. If I killed one person I would be an evil person because I would be aware of the nature of the act I was committing and how awful it is, it would not be in my nature because previous to that act I would be a good person.

Oh ya and the Pope is just trying to squeeze some more life into his misbegotten system of beliefs. Old (2000 year) habits die hard but thankfully secularism/empiricism is now forcing the Catholic church to make concessions instead of the opposite which was experienced in the Medieval era.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #53
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Again, this was just about the Catholic Church saying the other churches were "wounded" and not "fully Christian". Why the Hell did anyone bring in the good/evil debate into this?

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 PM   #54
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Again, this was just about the Catholic Church saying the other churches were "wounded" and not "fully Christian". Why the Hell did anyone bring in the good/evil debate into this?
Probably to piss you off.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #55
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Class/Position: Sniper, Defensive
Gametype: Capture Point
Affiliations: Unguilded
Send a message via AIM to Thor-Stryker Send a message via Yahoo to Thor-Stryker
Because good and evil co-exist with religion.
In Christianity and all the religions that focus on that one god, Your are seen as having to perform deeds of good as well as staying pure in order to get into god's heaven. Evil is like stated before, and that god doesen't like evil.

Does anyone by chance know god's name? I believe in theory its something he left out of the bible for good reason (Or if its in there, he doesn't want people using it.) When you become omnipotent, do you really want everyone calling you by your name, course theres a lot of gods out there, so the word god is shared instead of being called by ones real name.

As for the comment earlier beetle, the Asatru are kindred with their god, they empower him, and he empowers them. Most of the gods also tend to be more lenient when compared to the hostility's and iron fist found by the Christian's god. They celebrate by feasting and some heavy drinking, They share their harvest with their god, and their mead, they celebrate what they are and who they are with, just as kindred would....
Unlike a god with a hidden name who makes his people obey his every command, and beg to get into heaven.
Thor-Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #56
Etzell
D&A Member

YHWH, He who is called I Am... he's got a lot of 'em.

Not like he's The Great Joe or anything, but he's got a lot of names.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #57
Beetle
Beta than eva'

oops?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #58
tu!

man some of you christians are just as annoying on the internet as in real life. so brainwashed it is ridiculous...

p.s. don't you just hate those stupid ass christians recruiters that are always at the bus stops reading the fucken bible out loud and i mean OUT LOUD then handing out their dumbass pamphets.
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2007, 01:14 AM   #59
halo

Quote:
Does anyone by chance know god's name? I believe in theory its something he left out of the bible for good reason (Or if its in there, he doesn't want people using it.)
If I remember rightly Moses asked him what it was and he said "I am who I am." They used the initial letters (which we don't have in our alphabet) to form the word pronounced Yaweh (the tetragrammaton YHWH) which was rendered in the first English translations of the bible as 'Lord.' From a philosophical point of view 'I Am' is about the highest name you could give to a God because it has no restrictions. I suppose he wouldn't have really needed a name before he created people.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:04 AM   #60
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu!
man some of you christians are just as annoying on the internet as in real life. so brainwashed it is ridiculous...

p.s. don't you just hate those stupid ass christians recruiters that are always at the bus stops reading the fucken bible out loud and i mean OUT LOUD then handing out their dumbass pamphets.
yes.