Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 12-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #41
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Now, now. Lets not be rash.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2007, 12:10 AM   #42
DarkeN_HellspawN
FORUM ADM!N

Class/Position: O/D D/O - For life or death
Gametype: 2fort Spectating Llama GD Ex. TALOS Sniper
Affiliations: FF God, The Yellow Brotherhood
Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I am part conservative and part liberal and as I stated before...........

THERE IS NOT ENOUGH EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THAT GLOBAL WARMING IS MAN MADE!!! Now it may be true or not someday and proven but as of yet without the evidence we should not be going around screaming the fu$%$* sky is frying without evidence. We have an atomsphere and an ozone layer for a reason and we have the choice to decide one it is/or not gone someday.

dh

Old 12-22-2007, 12:12 AM   #43
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkeN_HellspawN
THERE IS NOT ENOUGH EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THAT GLOBAL WARMING IS MAN MADE!!!
Wrong.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:36 AM   #44
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkeN_HellspawN
THERE IS NOT ENOUGH EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THAT GLOBAL WARMING IS MAN MADE!!! Now it may be true or not someday and proven but as of yet without the evidence we should not be going around screaming the fu$%$* sky is frying without evidence. We have an atomsphere and an ozone layer for a reason and we have the choice to decide one it is/or not gone someday.

dh
Who cares? Ok, let us all cry over the FACT global warming exists. Let us not rub anymore salt into the wounds, let us fix this planet please.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2007, 03:07 AM   #45
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

In more interesting news...

Old 12-22-2007, 03:26 AM   #46
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
lol...you peeps still crying like little babies about this subject??/ I laugh at you noobs.

There is no such thing as man-made global warming. You think humans have the power to change atmosphere of the earth??? To think humans can change the
atmosphere of the Earth is to think we are all gods. Only god can do that and
god is doing it with the SUN...humans do not have the power to control the SUN. The sun is getting a bit hotter...nothing more.

I live in New England and all I see is snow all over the damn place. No sign of
global warming here.

Again....God controls the Atmosphere, the Sun..not humans. Maybe someday
a long long time from now, we humans will be able to control everything...until
then it's all about GOD.
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2007, 03:51 AM   #47
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
We aren't able to control the atmosphere you dolt, we can just fuck it up. If we could control the atmosphere there wouldn't be a global warming problem in the first place. It is common knowledge that the environmental parameters for supporting life, especially complex forms are extremely specific. This certainly isn't the first time we have shown the ability to destroy balances in nature. It is extremely ignorant to act as though beings of our power can have no effect on the earth we live on.

Quote:
I live in New England and all I see is snow all over the damn place. No sign of global warming here.
mmm more simple minded drivel to express how little you know; just because snow still falls doesn't mean nothing is happening. We have snow in Canada, maybe it is because global warming doesn't change climates overnight. I mean come on guy, that is the same reasoning people use to attack evolution, they don't see wolves turning into whales over their short lives so it is all bogus.

Last edited by YomMamasHouse; 12-22-2007 at 04:03 AM.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2007, 04:21 AM   #48
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0undch4s3r
lol...you peeps still crying like little babies about this subject??/ I laugh at you noobs.

There is no such thing as man-made global warming. You think humans have the power to change atmosphere of the earth??? To think humans can change the
atmosphere of the Earth is to think we are all gods. Only god can do that and
god is doing it with the SUN...humans do not have the power to control the SUN. The sun is getting a bit hotter...nothing more.

I live in New England and all I see is snow all over the damn place. No sign of
global warming here.

Again....God controls the Atmosphere, the Sun..not humans. Maybe someday
a long long time from now, we humans will be able to control everything...until
then it's all about GOD.
Understanding--;

The United Colo(u)rs believes that while global warming is not soley caused by man, we have no doubt had an impact in it. We also discourage the use of hybrid cars, as they only go to support energy companies which get power from, you guessed it, fossil fuels, unless they create less toxins than they use.

The UC has given unanimous support to alternative energy forms, including wind and water turbines.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2007, 04:32 AM   #49
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
I don't know a lot on the subject. I wont pretend to. With science backing up both sides to the agreement the only thing I can say is that at least to me, humans have to have some kind of impact.

However, important things to consider are that while we DO have an impact, it's going to grow and change on its own even if we were never there. So we can conserve to help limit our effect, but its still going to change. The world changes that's how planets work. I think that it's getting warmer for two reason, we are coming out of a miniature ice age (I read that idea somewhere and it makes sense) but ALSO because we've got a lot of gases flying up into the air. To honestly think that they just disappear is stupid. They have to go somewhere. Our atmosphere is made up of gases. We release gases, hmm...... It's not a big leap for me to say that we're having an impact that can be controlled.

But beyond that, beyond the debate. Even if I'm wrong, what's so terrible about conversing energy, finding new forms of fuel, developing cleaner technologies? The consequence to all that (aside from the cost of money) is going to be cleaner air, healthier lungs, better running equipment, longer lasting cars, cheaper gas and so on. So, who's against that? Even if you don't think that doing that will have an effect on global warming, do you not want all that other good stuff that comes with it?

(also, for the record I hate my spell check. I spelled "gases" as "gasses" and while it picked up that it was spelled incorrectly, it did not suggest the correct spelling, or even the correct word. humph)
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2007, 04:46 AM   #50
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

"Gasses" is perfectly legitimate, albeit less common.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #51
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Affiliations: Knights of the Round
Send a message via MSN to Zydell Send a message via Skype™ to Zydell
Oh please open your eyes, see the big picture, see the pattern, see how someone simply doesn't change... accept... learn. See it!
Zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #52
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Global Warming is Science Fiction (if humans have anything to do with it) and a liberal agenda to get more TAX's from the sheep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JoaS...eature=related
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #53
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

To the people that are actually curious on the subject and are getting lost in the religious dribble:

EVERY scientist on the planet knows that man has something to do with "global warming", the big debate is, how much? The problem is you have crazy people saying the oceans will rise 20 feet within the next ten years and other crazy people saying we're actually going through a cool-down period based on the ice temperature in Antarctica (which makes no sense).

I look at it like this:

Man has not effected the climate change dramatically, but we have effected it. It doesn't take a dramatic number to destroy this planet, if you look at it we are a statistical anomoly. This planet IS BLESSED to support our life so any small digit that's misplaced is actually a big deal. 1-2% change in our climate cycle could be enough to shake the grounds beneath our feet (so to speak).

Do I think the oceans are going to raise 20 feet in the next ten years? Of course not. Do I sit back and say we've ruined this planet? Of course not.

We're somewhere in that happy median.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #54
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
^ What he said. CO2 is a greenhouse gas so using the Greek invention of logic we can deduce that creating more than the cycle of nature alone would is going to have an effect of some sort. Of course, it is silly to watch The Day After Tomorrow and suddenly be like "GUYS IM SUPER SERIAL WERE ALL GONNA DIE", but it is still ignorant and irresponsible to act like we cannot do anything to our environment.

Logic says, when in doubt play it safe (but only if it means you don't have to forgo any of your precious luxuries sadly).
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #55
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by YomMamasHouse
^ What he said. CO2 is a greenhouse gas so using the Greek invention of logic we can deduce that creating more than the cycle of nature alone would is going to have an effect of some sort. Of course, it is silly to watch The Day After Tomorrow and suddenly be like "GUYS IM SUPER SERIAL WERE ALL GONNA DIE", but it is still ignorant and irresponsible to act like we cannot do anything to our environment.

Logic says, when in doubt play it safe (but only if it means you don't have to forgo any of your precious luxuries sadly).
I hate that movie. I mean reallly (with an extra l) hate that movie.

But back on topic. I think what you guys are saying does make sense.

However, I think that we need to keep a philosophical perspective on at least one part of the issue, even though it doesn't change the end result. We are part of nature. You, me, we both exist as an element of nature. The things we do, all of them, are natural. Even plastic. Because we made plastic, and we are apart of nature. The notion that Mother Earth doesn't want us us here, or that Nature has nothing to do with human beings is, in my opinion ridiculous.

The argument isn't that "The things we do aren't natural, and hurt nature so we should fix it because we're essentially the equivelent of unwelcome guests." The argument is that "We are the only creatures on this planet, that we know of, who possess the ability to think, reason, and change. Therefore, because we are capable of being aware there is a problem we are also responsible for fixing it."

..unless of course you're the kind of person who can wake up on a train track with no one around and not move because you're too damn lazy and are content laying on that train track.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #56
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Maybe we DO have a consensus then. Manmade Global warming is a myth.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #57
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
EVERY scientist on the planet knows that man has something to do with "global warming", the big debate is, how much? The problem is you have crazy people saying the oceans will rise 20 feet within the next ten years and other crazy people saying we're actually going through a cool-down period based on the ice temperature in Antarctica (which makes no sense).
I don't think so. I don't know of a single scientist who has made those claims, and I don't think you do either. In all, it's a nice strawman argument you've come up with, which I see has convinced a few people: "The wackos are saying the Earth is going to end--therefore the notion that we have any impact on climate is tosh!"

Nothing like a good brew of nonsense first thing in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
I look at it like this:

Man has not effected the climate change dramatically, but we have effected it.
Depends on what you define dramatic as. Someone a few posts back said it made sense that the Earth is warming like it is because we've come out of a mini ice age (i.e. the Little Ice Age). The problem, of course, is that the climate is changing faster than any other time known time in the past. CO2 level may be higher than any other time in the last 20 million years (see, e.g., Pearson and Palmer). To me, that is a dramatic impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
Maybe we DO have a consensus then. Manmade Global warming is a myth.
We're not in Never-Never-Land anymore.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #58
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
We're not in Never-Never-Land anymore.
Better pour yourself another cup Uber. Man didn't make Global Warming.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #59
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

As YMH put it, I don't want it to be real either. If only wishful thinking would mean anything in the real world...

Old 12-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #60
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
As YMH put it, I don't want it to be real either. If only wishful thinking would mean anything in the real world...
You're not reading very carefully. I didn't say that I didn't want it to be real. I'm saying it's not created by man.