Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 03-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #21
o_caesium

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
here
here on the left

I guess I only notice it when it's not really there? Looking back over it you do have a lot of trim already. Ah well.
Point taken. I'll experiment with making an actual archway at the top of the main ramp that the roof of the ramp joins with. If you think there are other places pls point them out to me. Thanks.

The front door however I think is good as it is (the wall and the archway are both metal, but only the wall has been painted with the team colours). I assume that's the bit you meant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stino
Camera System
- When your team's generator is disabled, you're team's camera system turns off.
- When your team's generator comes back online, your team's camera system turns on. The enemy team's camera system is also deactivated, due to your team's radio jammer being activated

just tell me how!

you can only use one camera in a whole level
no, not one camera, but all screens have to refer at the same cam.
Sorry? Are you asking how I made them work?
o_caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #22
o_darknight

Lookin' really cool so far tbh. Although I also dont like the corrugated iron texture. :X
o_darknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #23
o_player

One word: Beautiful.

Well anyway, your map looks incredibly nice. I love the lighting of the map, it looks really natural and the water you have chosen suits the outside very well, also. Just about every part of your map looks nice, I like the water entrance, looks natural and I could see myself swimming through there just to look at it The textures are all okay as they suit the map, but as with every map, you should never just choose a theme and not try out others.

The layout is interesting and looks like it will play well; especially with ramps everywhere. Very fluent.

You have one problem though which eat has already brought up and that is the glass room overlooking the mid map; but you say you have a fix for that so no problems there, hopefully.

I am getting solid fps - 200+ everywhere inside the bases except the area overlooking the mid map where I am getting about 50 fps. I am getting about 90 - 130 fps outside.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 04:36 PM   #24
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium
Point taken. I'll experiment with making an actual archway at the top of the main ramp that the roof of the ramp joins with. If you think there are other places pls point them out to me. Thanks.

The front door however I think is good as it is (the wall and the archway are both metal, but only the wall has been painted with the team colours). I assume that's the bit you meant?

Sorry? Are you asking how I made them work?
yep, for as i know, you can only view one cam at a time, or do you use viewpoints like in hl1?
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #25
o_caesium

Quote:
yep, for as i know, you can only view one cam at a time, or do you use viewpoints like in hl1?
There is only one camera active at any time, which is why I had to dream up the "jammer system" explanation to justify it...

I experimented with many possible implementations, but currently the actual triggers that are used are "SetOnAndTurnOthersOff" for the cameras, and "Enable"/"Disable" for the monitors. This actually makes the monitor completely disappear when the camera system is disabled. The filler screen then shown is in fact just another brush behind the monitor (a sneaky little trick which you can just see if you watch closely at the monitor as the system comes back on).

Each of the monitors remains bound to their team's camera at all times, but becomes visible/invisible as appropriate.

There are of course many other ways of doing this, but this way seemed to me least succeptable to screw ups (there's no way of getting the wrong camera on either screen etc).

Old 03-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #26
o_stino

Quote:
There is only one camera active at any time, which is why I had to dream up the "jammer system" explanation to justify it...

I experimented with many possible implementations, but currently the actual triggers that are used are "SetOnAndTurnOthersOff" for the cameras, and "Enable"/"Disable" for the monitors. This actually makes the monitor completely disappear when the camera system is disabled. The filler screen then shown is in fact just another brush behind the monitor (a sneaky little trick which you can just see if you watch closely at the monitor as the system comes back on).

Each of the monitors remains bound to their team's camera at all times, but becomes visible/invisible as appropriate.

There are of course many other ways of doing this, but this way seemed to me least succeptable to screw ups (there's no way of getting the wrong camera on either screen etc).
thats the way valve does it, but it only works with one controller, what if someone hits the camera change button in the other base?

Old 03-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #27
o_caesium

Quote:
thats the way valve does it, but it only works with one controller, what if someone hits the camera change button in the other base?
It depends on the states they are in at the time. The only way to explain what will happen as far as I can see is via the 3 statements on the website that you pasted earlier:

- When your team's generator is disabled, you're team's camera system turns off.
- When your team's generator comes back online, your team's camera system turns on. The enemy team's camera system is also deactivated, due to your team's radio jammer being activated

That is implemented in hammer like this:

Red's Button:

OnIn monitor_red Disable
OnOut monitor_red Enable
OnOut monitor_blue Disable
OnOut camera_red SetOnAndTurnOthersOff

Blue's Button:

OnIn monitor_blue Disable
OnOut monitor_blue Enable
OnOut monitor_red Disable
OnOut camera_blue SetOnAndTurnOthersOff

Old 03-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #28
o_darksoul

nice caes =D
o_darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 06:22 PM   #29
o_stino

Quote:
It depends on the states they are in at the time. The only way to explain what will happen as far as I can see is via the 3 statements on the website that you pasted earlier:

That is implemented in hammer like this:

Red's Button:

OnIn monitor_red Disable
OnOut monitor_red Enable
OnOut monitor_blue Disable
OnOut camera_red SetOnAndTurnOthersOff

Blue's Button:

OnIn monitor_blue Disable
OnOut monitor_blue Enable
OnOut monitor_red Disable
OnOut camera_blue SetOnAndTurnOthersOff
ok, and if the radio jammer from the enemy turns your system down, than there are no cams, but 2 generators running?

Old 03-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #30
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Interesting explanation for the cameras, although stino brings up a good point there - what if both generators are running? Does turning on your generator turn theirs off? What's the camera even do?

Old 03-23-2006, 06:57 PM   #31
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Interesting explanation for the cameras, although stino brings up a good point there - what if both generators are running? Does turning on your generator turn theirs off? What's the camera even do?
Sorry, but I really can't put it any clearer than my last post. Read the statements, and look at the hammer triggers. If both team's generator's are running, the team who's generator came on last will have their camera system working and the other team will not.

The generator (and hence laser system) is uneffected by the camera system status, so no, turning on your generator does NOT turn the enemy generator off (but it DOES turn their camera system off). It's really very simply if you just read and understand the statements in my last post. Also, just load up the map and have a look for yourself at how they all work and what they do.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:17 PM   #32
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
My bad, should've read that bit.

You can't just tell me what the cameras do? Guess I'll have to take a look at it later.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #33
o_sidd42

Water Route
The entrance to the water route is under the semi-submerged ramp just outside the front door. It leads to a lift which brings you up into the water ramproom, on the flagroom side of the lasers. Compared to the main ramp this is a very slow route of attack, but the flag is accessible via this route even when security is activated.

When your team's camera system is enabled, a live video feed of the corridor leading to the bottom of the lift is displayed on a screen in your team's flagroom.
o_sidd42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #34
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

I should start fucking reading things. Sigh. The worst part is, I skimmed over that bit.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #35
o_ghost

Maybe change the way the camera system works. From what you are saying the team that has their generator come back up gets the camera. That means that if a team allowing the security to go down will get the benefit of the camera vs a team that is keeping the security from going down at all. Seems like the team that isn't doing as well will see the camera more, unless that is intended.

Maybe making it so deactivating the enemy security causes your camera to turn on and that stays on until the enemy deactivates your security, thus turning their camera on. You could justify it by saying that hitting the button deactivates their jammer or something.

Edit: Also, I haven't played around on the map yet, but do both camers start out as off?
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 07:50 PM   #36
o_sidd42

GhOsT, yes a team whose security goes down more will get the camera more. But this is more than compensated by the fact that they lose their security, and the easiest attacking route is opened up to the enemy. Having a camera is only a minor advantage that lets you see attacks coming. Having lasers blocking off the main attack route is a huge advantage.

Both cameras are off at the start.
o_sidd42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 11:33 PM   #37
o_d3pth charge

Which team gets the camera in the very beginning of the match, since both generators were turned on at the same time? :S.
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2006, 12:06 AM   #38
o_probe

So why is there a little Gordon in the 2fort basement-like water entrance that teleports you into one of the glass columns when you click on him
o_probe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 AM   #39
o_paft

I think it looks really good! you said its only a beta so plenty of time for improvements if you need to do any! That map will have quite a strange experience! It's fun to se the lazers again.
I'm getting quite exited now. I cant wait for FF release.
Yet i still need a computer and HL2. I haven't even played HL2 yet and current computer cant run tfc. So I'll be awful.
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2006, 04:12 AM   #40
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft Dunk
I cant wait for FF release.
Yet i still need a computer and HL2. I haven't even played HL2 yet and current computer cant run tfc. So I'll be awful.
lol you always say that at C-TFC everytime you see a model you want to download

Anyways, damn Wow holyshit a lot

This map kicks ass
A really like your style and the way you use glass or certain places. In my opinion all FF maps should follow your theme
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote