Old 09-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Affiliations: Knights of the Round
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to Zydell Send a message via Skype™ to Zydell
New system, please comment!

I am currently working out a new system and would very much appreciate any comments on the configuration or chosen components!

The system will be used mainly for:
- Design (indesign and photoshop mainly)
- Programming / web development
- Bit of gaming

Lian Li PC-7B Plus II
Zalman ZM460-APS 460Watt
GigaByte S775 GA-P35C-DS3R 1066 DDR2 / 1333 DDR3 PCIe Sata Audio
Intel E6850 core2 duo 3.00 4Mb 1333 Retail
Scythe Infinity SCINF-1000
Kingston DDR2 2GB 667MHZ 2x1024MB ValueRam Retail KVR667D2N5K2/2G
Asus EN8800GTS HTDP 320M 2xDVI-I PCI-E HDCP
2x Samsung Spinpoint T166 500GB 7200Rpm Sata 3.0Gb/s 16MB
Samsung DVR20X DL, SATA 8X DL, Black, Bulk + Nero
Logitech DiNovo Media Desktop Laser/US USB
Dell 2407WFP-HC 24-inch

I'd also like to know if this is a right moment to buy a new system or if it's better to wait for certain 'new' technologies.
Zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydell
Zalman ZM460-APS 460Watt
GigaByte S775 GA-P35C-DS3R 1066 DDR2 / 1333 DDR3 PCIe Sata Audio
Get a bigger power supply.
Never buy Gigabyte.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Deadly Furby
Elder Scroll

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broodingdude
Never buy Gigabyte.
It's amazing how many times you hear "don't buy ______" all because someone had a personal issue with a board. EVERY motherboard manufacturer has had issues at one time or another with a number of their boards, including Intel. Gigabyte is a highly regarded manufacturer in the computer industry so don't go about throwing stones at an entire company's product line just because you might have had an issue at some point with one of their products. If there's a problem with a particular board, simply list it.

Also, since you're doing design work, et al Photoshop, get 4GB of memory rather than 2GB
Deadly Furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
Commander

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
^^

I've had the GA-P35-DS3P for a few weeks now and it's worked flawlessly
Commander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
lobo

I have read lots of good reviews of gigabytes P35 boards. I just ordered a GA-P35-DQ6 myself.

I would agree that you might want a bigger power supply to be on the safe side of things.
lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
Deadly Furby
Elder Scroll

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Toms had this to say:
Quote:
The Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 takes the overclocking crown by the smallest margin, and the same company's GA-P35C-DS3R comes in second place. Abit also made a good showing, as did Asus' old P965 Express-based P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP Edition motherboard.
Perhaps Gigabyte's DDR2 plus DDR3 supporting GA-P35C-DS3R is worth a closer look because it can use today's top-performing DDR2 memory while maintaining future compatibility with faster DDR3 modules, overclocks extremely well, and puts up good overall performance numbers? The tiny performance differences between chipset generations mean the majority of users who already own P965-Express motherboards will be best-advised to wait for Intel's next chipset before considering the DDR3 plunge.

Deadly Furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Furby
Also, since you're doing design work, et al Photoshop, get 4GB of memory rather than 2GB
That helps tremendously. I have ~4GB of ram(my computer doesn't recognize the last .88GB of ram, but I haven't dug into why), and things like Photoshop run a hell of a lot better with I upgraded my ram(didn't change anything else). I have a 2.8gHz dual processor with 3.12Gb of ram and a GeForce 7600GT, and ram made a hell of a lot of difference.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 AM   #8
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Go with a power supply from Ultra. I have a 600 watt one. It looks like it was chromed, really bitchin'. I always get Ultra power supplies for my customers (I do computer repair / building) and I have NEVER had a complaint from any of them or a failure.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 01:59 AM   #9
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu
That helps tremendously. I have ~4GB of ram(my computer doesn't recognize the last .88GB of ram, but I haven't dug into why), and things like Photoshop run a hell of a lot better with I upgraded my ram(didn't change anything else). I have a 2.8gHz dual processor with 3.12Gb of ram and a GeForce 7600GT, and ram made a hell of a lot of difference.
What OS? XP and Vista have hard limits on how much RAM they can use. You don't get to fully use the full 4 GB or more until you move to the 64 bit versions of the OS's.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 02:06 AM   #10
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
What OS? XP and Vista have hard limits on how much RAM they can use. You don't get to fully use the full 4 GB or more until you move to the 64 bit versions of the OS's.
Ah, I have XP 32 bit.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 02:15 AM   #11
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Ah, I have XP 32 bit.
That is your culprit.

Zydell, I have put together a parts list for my next system...somewhat similar to what you have. While I will use Gigabyte they are not in my top 3. I favor ASUS. Also, I favor PMR SATA2 Seagate hard drives. The only other gotcha that has me delaying is Vista SP1 and the shake out on DirectX 10.1 and the hardware side of that equation. I expect I'll buy 2 or three video upgrades during the life of my next system but I want to start with full 10.1 compatibility with this next one.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:38 AM   #12
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Quote:
Ah, I have XP 32 bit.
It actually has nothing to do with windows... but an actual 32 bit LIMITATION. If you want more then about 3 or 4 gigs of ram you need to have a64 bit system. Which basically means Vista since people say 64bit XP is glitchy.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:41 AM   #13
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga
It actually has nothing to do with windows... but an actual 32 bit LIMITATION. If you want more then about 3 or 4 gigs of ram you need to have a64 bit system. Which basically means Vista since people say 64bit XP is glitchy.
His system is 64 bit. Look at the CPU. In this case I believe you'll find that it really is an OS limitation. Also, Vista is the limitation on Vista compatible systems unless you have the 64 bit version. Still a 64 vs 32 bit issue...but OS based.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:50 AM   #14
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Affiliations: Knights of the Round
Send a message via MSN to Zydell Send a message via Skype™ to Zydell
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo
I would agree that you might want a bigger power supply to be on the safe side of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmi
Go with a power supply from Ultra. I have a 600 watt one. It looks like it was chromed, really bitchin'. I always get Ultra power supplies for my customers (I do computer repair / building) and I have NEVER had a complaint from any of them or a failure.
A lot of people are telling me to take a “bigger” power supply but I much rather buy a stable lower watt power supply with decent 12v lines than a equally priced higher wattage power supply with more variation in e.g. 12v lines (which are important for the video card).
Maybe I'll go for a 500-520 watt corsair/zalman power supply but I think that 600+ watt is definately overkill (I will for example not be using 2 highend video cards). So unless someone can do a simple calculation for me and prove me wrong I'll stay at around 500 watt...

Quote:
Never buy Gigabyte.
(and in reply)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly_Furby
It's amazing how ... If there's a problem with a particular board, simply list it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander
I've had the GA-P35-DS3P for a few weeks now and it's worked flawlessly
Please broodingdude can you back this up? Have you experience with the board I chose? I have also considered the ASUS P5KR but since the Gigabyte board got very decent reviews, supports DD3 and is even somewhat cheaper I decided to go for that one. BTW I want at least a ICH9R chipset since I want to make us of a Intel Matrix Storage SATA RAID controller.

I'll be considering the 4GB since it's not a very expensive investment and indeed I can use the memory. Still, on my current system I only have 1.5GB and that runs my Adobe CS3 premium design suite fine (but that's XP and I heard that Vista likes a lot of memory...) So anyways, I will be running 64bit Vista in order to (in the future) support >= 4GB memory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
Also, I favor PMR SATA2 Seagate hard drives. The only other gotcha that has me delaying is Vista SP1 and the shake out on DirectX 10.1 and the hardware side of that equation. I expect I'll buy 2 or three video upgrades during the life of my next system but I want to start with full 10.1 compatibility with this next one.
Reason I chose for Samsung is this Anandtech review, apparently it's more quiet and cooler. It may be somewhat slower but since I will be using a combination of RAID 0 and 1 (Intel Matrix) I don't consider it a very big bottleneck and would rather go for cooler and more quiet HDs!

I very much understand your points on Vista SP1 and the “upcomming” DX10.1, even though I am not sure when that will be? Does anyone know when the first DX10.1 cards are expected to be released? And will ATI and nVidia simply release a new revision for cards like the X1950 PRO and 8800 GTS?
Zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
lobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydell
A lot of people are telling me to take a “bigger” power supply but I much rather buy a stable lower watt power supply with decent 12v lines than a equally priced higher wattage power supply with more variation in e.g. 12v lines (which are important for the video card).
Maybe I'll go for a 500-520 watt corsair/zalman power supply but I think that 600+ watt is definately overkill (I will for example not be using 2 highend video cards). So unless someone can do a simple calculation for me and prove me wrong I'll stay at around 500 watt...
You're right the 460 watt is enough. I always just buy a little more to be on the safeside when I upgrade. According to one power supply calculator I found on the web your system will draw 328 watts. I don't know how accurate these calculators are but if thats right and you don't plan any major additions to your system then you should be fine.

I agree that stable lines are more important than higher watts.
lobo is offline   Reply With Quote