Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
Zaffod

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Hello from old TFCer

Hello,

I am an old TFC player that just happened to stumble upon a link to Fortress Forever. I played as Zaffod competitively in 9v9 US Leagues (a couple, I think... Can't remember which ones...) - I believe I retired from TFC while in the /tmp/ (or was it Jell-() at this time?) clan around 2004. I also played in 5v5, though I can't remember who I retired with - I remember we used to play against Harvesters of Sorrow [HoS] quite frequently, but that doesn't really narrow it down.

Anyway, I just felt the urge to make a forum account to check in on a community that was so fun back when I was playing TFC in high school. Not sure if many of the guys who played competively back then are part of this community, but figured it'd be their most likely hang out if they were still around. Or are the TFC guys sticking to TFC still? Perhaps I should check The Catacombs forums for any signs of life...if that site is even still around.

Couple quick questions:
If I was to want to get back into playing a TFC style game, would I have a better chance at finding fellow players on a TFC server or on a Fortress Forever server?
Also, does Fortress Forever require a Half Life 2 installation or does the Steam release act as a standalone game? I'd need to upgrade my computer to even consider playing again, but it's not a complete impossibility.

Anywho, like I said, just wanted to stop in and say hello and impart my thanks for keeping this community alive, even if I don't end up playing.
Zaffod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Oh hai,

Fortress Forever is a stand alone game, so all you need to do is install it on steam.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Greetings!

Competitive play on FF generally takes place on the Pick-Up channels. However, given the recent release through Steam, it's possible a league could form.

I, too am an old TFC'er. I do still play it, though. The two games don't need to be mutually exclusive. There are still some good populated servers out there. I enjoy both games, and if you like TFC as much as you say, you should also enjoy Fortress Forever. While it's not a "remake", it's more of a sequel to the Fortress genre. Like TFC was heavily influenced by QWTF, so FF is heavily influenced by TFC AND QWTF.

Also, you'll find some of the maps have.... shall we say..... surprises.... hidden within. An homage back to the simpler days.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote