Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
o_crackerjack

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
what would you change about Openfire?

Yes its a thread where you can post what you didnt and did not like about TFC's Openfire, be it Openfire_low or Openfire_lowgrens (not to much difference between them at all) Or what you would add and change. Also you can post questions, concerns, comments and critisms here about the new Openfire. Though judging from one screen shot maybe a little hard. Maybe post ideas on what you would like the bridge area to look like the setting around the bridge area should it be mountains still or a new setting... This is just an example of discussion that could take place in this thread. I look to make a map the community will love and appreciate so lets get this discussion rolling.
o_crackerjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
o_shadow34721

Nothing.
o_shadow34721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
o_ambex

Hi Crackerjack, I guess you still remember me? I do, as a tea-pot knows the boiling water. This is your return? I didn't know you were here mapping but I wish sucess with openfire map.

I have a row with questions about openfire.

1. Before starting on openfire did you made a research of the original layout?

2. Why did you changed the area ? (like after an earthquake influence in that area)

3. Do you ensure it won't affect the gameplay or I'm wrong?

Good luck, with the continuous level design.
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
o_ghost

I think the fact that it became so popular suggests that there wasn't much wrong with it. I guess the main problem with it was the spam due to bags that fully stock you (in the original and _l versions anyway). Maybe just having 1 gren bag in the back of the flagroom would help that.

The only other thing I found annoying with it is the bag placement in the spawns. Even in _l it's pretty easy to grab all 3 bags on the way out. Maybe spreading them out more and putting them in different spots would help. Either that or just having a pad you run over in the spawn someplace instead of using bags alltogether.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
o_own3r

I would change:

The exit to the trench in the midfield perhaps, steap steps instead of a ladder. I definatly think that gameplay flow would improve from this.

Also where that flag cap is i would make the ceiling alot higher, and possibly an increase in the dimentions, and genrally i would like to see some high ceilings.

Maybe the flag cap area could be an outside courtyard area surrounded on two sides by the rest of the base? Who says it has to be all inclosed?

On that note, large windows with an inaccessable outside area are a definate must.
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
o_donny

I'd like see "Dont kill your own teammates in the spawn" with angry ff dev member poster on the wall of the respawn.

other than that I'd also like to see the owners 'idea' "On that note, large windows with an inaccessable outside area are a definate must."
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
o_voipme

Its not so much things I would change as to the things I'd keep. I believe its cruical to maintain that frenetic pace that is set by openfire. Its one of the things that creates that extremely fun type of gaming that allows you to show off as an outstanding player. As for the changes, I think there should be significant enough changes so that people who played enough TFC to make their eyes bleed (read: me, old schoolers, etc) can't start up FF for the first time and utterly own the map. How much fun would that be for all types of people to play? Basically, make this map your own. Claim the FF openfire title, and do it with style.
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
o_luminous

changes = possibly make the jump across the pit abit easier, from spawn - balc ect

keep the same = keep the bhop over the top of the water exit from base to base, gives offy another route to avoid the balc sol with

will add some more later
o_luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 06:29 PM   #9
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminous
changes = possibly make the jump across the pit abit easier, from spawn - balc ect
I find that jump rather pointless so I don't care if it is easier or harder :P

I say keep the layout and everything else pretty much the same, just give it a new theme, which you have of course; I quite like the new theme also; it has a story
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #10
o_crackerjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambex
1. Before starting on openfire did you made a research of the original layout?
Yes the layout is exactly the same as the original just with a little more space with in the hallways.

The other two questions are answered in the dev journal that was posted today.

-taking note of bag spam issue.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #11
o_nezumi

It always really really bothered me that this wall was sloped. It makes it annoying to try to get out of the water, especially in the dep part. This is my only major complaint :P

o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 03:47 AM   #12
o_skanky butterpuss

god yes, please make it easier to get out of that fucking water!
o_skanky butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 06:20 AM   #13
o_kam

The major things wrong with it were problems with tfc itself (clipping, spam/gren radius, etc.) except what luminous said because offy going out water when their flag is in the tunnel is a nightmare (friendly fire and dropped grens from enemy offy).

Keep the ladders.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #14
o_crackerjack

Taking note of the water slope problem, ill make sure that doesnt happen in mine.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #15
o_bokko

Nothing imo. This map layout is perfected, I had a quick run just now and couldn't come up with a single thing that needed changing. There are other maps where I could point out several issues, but changing openfire would be like changing 2fort.

Enlarging coridors and other areas would only make it more HW friendly and disrupt the flow. And I can't see why you would want to add platforms reaching around the fr pillars.
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #16
o_sh4x

yeah I'm not sure about the pillars either. Would have the test it.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #17
o_player

So people who can't strafe around them whilst jumping can walk around them instead :P

I like the pillars, I am, however, unsure about the girders below them but they shouldn't be a huge problem anyway.

Just keep doing what you think is right and change it if it needs to, Crackerjack.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #18
o_uncle-argon

If one significant thing about openfire gameplay could be improved, then it's offy using the water route to exit their base; its frustrating to keep getting killed by your own def and its even worse to be blocked (deliberately or accidentally) by the enemy offy when you're precisely timing your conc. I know this would result in a fairly significant change, but I think that adding another way for offy to exit that spawn would be an improvement. Am I right in thinking that, without cutting through anything else, you could effectively link it to the balc and allow offy to exit that way?

I realise that this might cause other problems (namely, fd, switch and balc def potentially getting back into position faster), so perhaps another option could be considered. To stick with the theme of openfire falling to pieces, perhaps a large navigable crack could appear between the spawn and the rock face in the midmap. By a remarkable coincidence, the very same thing could happen to the other base

These are just suggestions, and I'm sure that with the map open in front of you you might be able to see an alternate option. People might totally disagree with me here, so its probably worth sparking a discussion of sorts..
o_uncle-argon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2006, 08:18 PM   #19
o_crackerjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
yeah I'm not sure about the pillars either. Would have the test it.
There is an explanation in the newly released dev journal, check the main site.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #20
o_loader

The flag/lift bug:

The flag gets thrown onto the lift, the lift gets activated, the flag falls udner the lift and cant be picked up.
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote