Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXtric View Post
we're adults
Really? Could have fooled me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill-----> View Post
Trolls, harassment, abused exist in any community. It is not something a Mod, game actually should control or is part of the responsibility.
You are getting camaraderie and abuse confused.

It is perfectly normal to pick back and forth between friends.

It is a whole other issue to hound someone for months on end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
I guess I'm trying to emphasize there is nothing the developers of the game could do for your personal problems here,
I have not played FF in probably 3 or more years, maybe even 4 years? I have too much going on in my life to deal with abusive players. So I left.

I drop by the forums from time to time and lurk and read.

What can the FF community to get more players? In my opinion is starts by being nice.

For years the FF developers have tried changing this or that to attract people. The problem with FF is not the game. It is a great game and has been since the first release.

The problem with FF is the hatefulness of some of the players.

When FF was released I love it. It was everything I had hoped for and more. Then the trolls and bullies took over the community.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #122
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
ban chef. It took you long enough for Bridget...
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #123
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
On a couple of occasions I walked into Koreys (Yoda) room and people were harassing him while playing FF. I think it was Bridget who was asking Korey if he sucked his dads (meaning myself) dick. Korey had his headphones unplugged. I heard every clearly someone asking about if Korey and his dad exchanging sexual favors.
It's the same or worse in real life when you're not around. People on the internet who would say that kind of stuff either don't know you're listening or don't care because there are no repercussions anyway. When there are repercussions they'll just wait until you're not listening.

Also korey brought some of that on himself. I'm not saying he deserved one thing or another, but if you, say, bitch and then rage quit when your team is losing or you don't get your way in the pickup channel, people might start to have a negative opinion of you. Some people might take it further than you find acceptable.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #124
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cake View Post
Also korey brought some of that on himself.
Korey aside, I am explaining why I left FF.

The honest truth is FF is a great game. No, it is an amazingly awesome game. The maps are great, the gameplay is solid, the graphics like the map Flow are amazing.

FF is a tight nit community. The actions of just a few players can resonate through the player base. If you had 100,000 people playing, a handful of trolls is not going to do too much.

I was playing FF on day one, and I loved the game. But the trolls won and people such as myself moved onto other games.

Last edited by ~kev~; 05-28-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #125
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
dumb thread is dumb.

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #126
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
Korey aside, I am explaining why I left FF.

The honest truth is FF is a great game. No, it is an amazingly awesome game. The maps are great, the gameplay is solid, the graphics like the map Flow are amazing.

FF is a tight nit community. The actions of just a few players can resonate through the player base. If you had 100,000 people playing, a handful of trolls is not going to do too much.

I was playing FF on day one, and I loved the game. But the trolls won and people such as myself moved onto other games.
well kev, thanks for taking the time to come post again explaining why.
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 AM   #127
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Kev, with the few examples you posted, there's already a solution or two in place to prevent things like that from happening. For example, you can disable the sprays from your FF options (I believe by setting the maximum sprays allowed to 0, though I may be wrong). You can also disable voice entirely but I assume you want to still talk with your FF buds over the mic. So there is the mute option by holding Tab and double clicking someone's name. It'd be great if there were some sort of global mute option in FF that saved a record of muted people so unless you unmute that person, they will always be muted by you.

Realistically, you must currently rely on the server admins to keep people from being ass hats. And while the first rule of my server is "Don't be a douche", I've seen people continue to break these rules, some of which I have kicked due to their behavior. I give all my server admins the same admin powers as me so they can take care of those choice players when I'm not around. My suggestion is to come join one of the remaining FF servers and let an admin know if you start having problems.

I realize I haven't done as much as I can to prevent all the issues that arise in my server, but I'll try to make a better effort to enforce my server rules. In a mod with such a small community, it's hard for someone to go to another server and expect people to show up because you have problems elsewhere. Then again, I have to pick my battles. If I just start banning people, that means there are even less people to play with, not to mention the few people who decide to stop playing because I banned that person. I remember banning someone from my server a while ago only to have a bunch of whiny little pickup players message me on steam asking why I banned him, followed by telling me their refusal to continue to play on my server until he was unbanned. Unfortunately, I can't please everyone.

The O-T server is not for me because their rules are too strict. I like being able to use profanity. I don't think it's juvenile at all. Words are words, and if someone gets offended at me saying the word cunt, then fuck em. But I try to draw the line at player harassment.

Here's the short list of my server rules in case you wanted to know what kind of ship I run:
  • Don't be a douche.
  • No hacking.
  • No racism/sexism.
  • No spawn camping/spamming.
  • No griefing.
  • No mic spamming without admin consent.
  • Please be respectful to all players.
  • Have fun.

The first and third rules are kind of vague and for good reason. Everyone has a different opinion on what it means to be a douche or what is considered racist or sexist. I believe context is everything. If someone is calling everyone's mother a slut, it's obvious they are not really doing any harm to anyone and I'll usually let it slide. I tend to look at it like you are talking to a drunk irishman. They often act like they're 3 years old, usually accompanied by bad grammar and retardedly worse insults. It can be quite entertaining.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 05-29-2014 at 12:13 AM.
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2014, 02:09 AM   #128
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Thank yall for taking the time to listen and talk with me.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #129
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
This is great, y'all. Even I am guilty of being a dick.

We all have to start being more positive and just embrace this awesome game we've all helped to create.

It's a game for the community by the community.

We're going to make the ultimate Team Fortress experience.

Personally, I've been planning this for years, which is why I registered http://teamfortressforever.com a long time ago.

It's also why I fixed up my YouTube channel and started making this Indie Gamemaker stuff

It will be on all of us to make FF happen the way we all want it to happen.

To help you get excited for the TFC remake, I did this...
http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ad.php?t=24424

That's what it's all about. Let's do FF the best way we possibly can.

Starting with not arguing about a bunch of features and whatnot, because all we have to do is remake TFC pure and simple. No arguing about that, we just do that and make it look, sound, and feel great. And then we go from there (aka remake FF, QWTF, NeoTF, Wizard Wars, Axl's TFC, etc).

And now y'all know more about the plan and my mad scientist ways haha

Last edited by trepid_jon; 05-29-2014 at 06:01 PM.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #130
DarK_TaO
Mapper ^^

Send a message via ICQ to DarK_TaO Send a message via MSN to DarK_TaO
Well I have just sent an e-mail to the FF staff telling then I'm willing to donate time and effort if it needs to be done to take FF to a better position.It also stated how I feel about the current status of FF and TFC.

Who would volunteer to help FF shine again? Regardless of what skills will be needed, that could be arranged afterwards. (Game movies or clips, tutorials, models, ideas, newbie coaching, league organizing, mapping, coding)

1 .- DarK.TaO
2 .-
DarK_TaO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #131
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
2.-Largos^

I live 10 minutes from squeek. Can someone backtrace his IP so I can find out where he lives then I'll force him to do our bidding?

/totallynotcreepy
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2014, 01:23 AM   #132
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPelargos View Post
I live 10 minutes from squeek. Can someone backtrace his IP so I can find out where he lives then I'll force him to do our bidding?
Ask nine`

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #133
DarkieJ

I think this will help:

Create a new game or just a new version of this one and launch it call it fortress 2 forever or a other hitech name. and launch a new website. And with the release of it there must be enough maps. Just ports with a makeover it doesnt matter and more gas maps like rock2 why not a gas gamestyle ? and turkeyburger style maps jiust alot fun maps. Not really fun for clanwars but the public server playerd love them.

For me FF was good enough i feeled tfc style again.

But allot newplayers didnt match with the veterans. The newplayers didnt even know the maps and we every corner of it they just didnt have a chance.
Thatswhy some other games like ff. In a new jacket vitted better with that people.

So ive some crew gonna make ff in a new jacket. I hope they wil l read this. And make maps a little newstyle its funnyer for the mapper too to just map and not messure the old maps to rebuild it. I know mapping is alot work! And ff has a bunch real good maps!

I know a new version is allot work ! so i dont see it happen real soon.

But i think this will work.
DarkieJ is offline   Reply With Quote