Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #61
Toastie

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu! View Post
been said this since day 1.
Are you saying you agree or that its something that has been brought up before?

I know its been a problem for people in the past. Personally, I am about 100% committed to making a team/clan for this game, but ill never do so unless the FF Team are able to make the models bigger and make it where the players can not act like brick walls anymore. In my opinion it was also a major problem in TFC, but you could at least SEE THE MODELS and just avoid them. It should really just be making them bigger, but a total REVAMP of the character models to make them a bit more visible

I can personally do without my skimming suggestion because the current really isnt all that bad, I actually think its pretty good, just the Q3F-skimming would be an improvement in my opinion.

Im not trying to imply my not making a team as a threat, just that other people may share the same sentiment and these changes could probably attract more people.

As for the tagging, instead of it being visual, how about audio? Like a soft beep and only the sniper gets the benefit of a visual tag

Last edited by Toastie; 01-27-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Toastie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #62
BlisTer
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
When going to the OB engine we will see if we can use the TF2 / L4D collision system where you just brush off against a player instead of coming to a standstill.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #63
Junkhead
Bacon haxor

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via MSN to Junkhead
Awesome, is that next patch or so?
Junkhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #64
tu!

both. me + others have whined about the stick models before.

i think they lack animators, or they like the new look which is closer to tfc's skinny new models or other shit has more priority. dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastie View Post
Are you saying you agree or that its something that has been brought up before?

I know its been a problem for people in the past. Personally, I am about 100% committed to making a team/clan for this game, but ill never do so unless the FF Team are able to make the models bigger and make it where the players can not act like brick walls anymore. In my opinion it was also a major problem in TFC, but you could at least SEE THE MODELS and just avoid them. It should really just be making them bigger, but a total REVAMP of the character models to make them a bit more visible
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #65
R22B

Class/Position: Sniper / Defensive
I'm probably going to get flammed... but:

- I'd like to see the ability for an Engineer to control his SG through his dispenser.

The control screen would take up most of the screen so that the engineer is at a disadvantage while he is controlling it. It would be nice for spy testing and manual shooting of enemies that are far away (pros), the cons would be that it wont auto aim and the engineer would be vulnerable to spies or anything else.

- Sniper Camo Outfits
I know there are hardly any maps that this could be utilized... but snipers that wear blue or red in the forest usually die.

Last edited by R22B; 01-27-2009 at 07:14 PM.
R22B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #66
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i wanna see the tags make a comeback, perhaps as audio pulses though (as skanky mentioned)

or perhaps the visual one could only be updated once or twice per second or something? the constant tag was just hax.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #67
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
You know what, why can everyone see the guy the sniper shot? Only the sniper should be able to track his quarry like that. That will mean that snipers can see everyone they tag, but they'd have to tell their team.

wait. nevermind. not what we're looking for.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #68
Toastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisTer View Post
When going to the OB engine we will see if we can use the TF2 / L4D collision system where you just brush off against a player instead of coming to a standstill.
Thats very good to hear. I think it will help the cause tremendously

Now give those models some HGH, I have connections with people that worked at BALCO if you need any help

Old 01-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #69
elwood
el duke.

Class/Position: spy evryfring & med.
give them the hookup, toastie
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #70
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
The redesign of player models is on the list.. but since we're definitely lacking people in the 3d department, it'll be a while until things start moving here. Personally i'd like to get to work on them, but a) having no classical art background i am probably a pretty bad character modeller, b) designing, modelling (high and low poly), rigging, weightmapping, texturing, animating and bringing into the source engine is a lot of work for just one single character.. and we need 9 characters. Plus, there are a lot of other "building sites" to handle.. our mappers need props and textures to churn out dem maps. Carnival, genesis, there are many new map projects in the pipeline that have high priorities as well.

So yeah. More modellers.

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #71
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
I would love to have the choice to select models, like in tfc old and new models, this way when we have matches i can switch to old models[default for FF] and new models for my custom ones. That is all thx for reading.
EquilibriuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #72
Toastie

haha i just discovered "fortress options" and how to turn up the brightness. After turning up the brightness a little, getting rid of the fov changing at high speed, the blurring and the xhair, the game just got a little better

Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #73
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

You "discovered" the menu in your face when loading the game? lol

I've heard of better discoveries before honestly.

You bring up a good point though, blur and fov change should be off by default imo.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 AM   #74
Toastie

i never load up the game thru the minigame tab... i join thru the server window on steams start up... i never even knew it was there

Old 01-28-2009, 01:41 AM   #75
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu! View Post
both. me + others have whined about the stick models before.

i think they lack animators, or they like the new look which is closer to tfc's skinny new models or other shit has more priority. dunno.
TFC's new models were as big as the old models, and FF's models are as wide as any other HL2 mod's humanoid models.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 AM   #76
Toastie

I was looking into that tonight a bit. Havent played TFC in awhile so I went to check it out, and I noticed most of the models in TFC really are the same size as those. There are two models however that stand out and still seem like they still need a bit of height and bulk, and that would be the HW and Soldado.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:14 AM   #77
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Speaking of, the TFC models ported over to FF are pretty much identical in size and shape to what exists now. Heavy looks heavy.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #78
elwood
el duke.

Class/Position: spy evryfring & med.
Some of these already mentioned, but some of the best ideas for overall gameplay:

- Conc radius reduced (quite annoying on maps like openfire where you're nowhere near the conc and somehow miraculously hits you and or sends you out of position on defense)

- Sniper fixes for hitbox registration
- Sniper tagging through audio instead of visual would something to try out for sure!
-Perhaps try giving snipers caltrops that do the exact effect/length of time a scout's caltrops used to do. However, the sniper could either: a) toss the caltrop canister like the medic does health packs now b) give him a new caltrop launcher

- Medic health distribution changes completely. Not a huge fan of the overboosts currently. Really annoying on both offense and defense. Either going against a jacked up defender or being a defender against 2-3 jacked up medics/scouts/etc.
-Medic's medpack/slot1 regenerate both even amounts of health and armor, but never overhealing a class, ever.

- Reduce explosion radius to blues and reward demomen slight increased damage for actual body shots to enemies instead of splash/spam with blue pipes.

- Change engineer ammo regeneration setup to help the class out.
- Increase SG armor to a happy-medium from 2.0 and current 2.2 so grenades can't annihilate sentries to an extent. I don't know if increasing overall or just increase certain levels.
- Engineer's dispenser give: health, armor, and ammo.

-Scout jump-pads spy sabotagable with the effect of the dispenser sabotage. (blows up the buildable and the explosion deals some damage to the enemy)
-Scouts regain their caltrop tossing ability

-Pyro's napalm flame grenade fixed to where it does damage if you run/bhop through it. I think it only does damage on contact off the initial toss most of the time...
-Pyro IC cannon rate of fire increased slightly, but damage reduced also. (This will allow pyros to DM better in mid-far range by themselves)
-Decrease slightly the duration/damage of flame towards the enemy during level 1 flame damage from either flamethrower/IC cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisTer View Post
This would be absolutely perfect in so many ways.

Last edited by elwood; 01-28-2009 at 04:48 PM.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #79
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post

-Pyro's napalm flame grenade fixed to where it does damage if you run/bhop through it. I think it only does damage on contact off the initial toss most of the time...
-Pyro IC cannon rate of fire increased slightly, but damage reduced also. (This will allow pyros to DM better in mid-far range by themselves)
-Decrease slightly the duration/damage of flame towards the enemy during level 1 flame damage from either flamethrower/IC cannon

This would be absolutely perfect in so many ways.
+ 1 as well as I would like to see a napalm grenade detonate on contact with any solid surface.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #80
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork View Post
+ 1 as well as I would like to see a napalm grenade detonate on contact with any solid surface.
Any solid surface, or just walls and people? Because if it detonates on contact with the floor, that could severely limit it's effective range since it won't be able to bounce.

...and you wonder why I love doctors.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote