Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #41
[WP]Carl
Fortress Forever Player

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to [WP]Carl Send a message via MSN to [WP]Carl
We need to look into possibly advertising for FF?

I was thinking and its on discussion with us at wireplay(mainly involving myelf right now) =P, but were a strong community on forums maybe we should look into advertising on xfire.Im unsure of the costs right now but maybe a dev should contact FF and just do a basic advertising with xfire and have a Fortress Forever Weekend and see if nuclearfallout would work with FF and help promote a great game.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #42
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est
1.1 is not buggy.
Guess you should close down the Bug/Issue forum then? It can't be getting any new threads after all....

besides, I didn't say it was. My point was I have minimal inclination to spend what little time I spend playing games now on something which is/was buggy as hell and that has such a small, secular player base. I'm sure many people do love FF, but for me I'd rather play something where the player base currently playing isn't mostly a bunch of elitist tossers. Obviously that isn't the developers fault, but it's still my opinion on the game and it's "community".

Old 11-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #43
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger
Guess you should close down the Bug/Issue forum then? It can't be getting any new threads after all....

besides, I didn't say it was. My point was I have minimal inclination to spend what little time I spend playing games now on something which is/was buggy as hell and that has such a small, secular player base. I'm sure many people do love FF, but for me I'd rather play something where the player base currently playing isn't mostly a bunch of elitist tossers. Obviously that isn't the developers fault, but it's still my opinion on the game and it's "community".
You need to jump back into FF. All the "elitist tossers" have moved on. It's up to us to create the foundation for a new community. As long as we don't attract (or act favorably towards) elitist tossers, the community will be absent of them. We have a chance at a fresh start, and with attitudes like yours we have no room to grow.

EDIT: Also, 1.1 is not buggy. The source engine is buggy, so take it up with Valve.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #44
Skillet

No more NOOBS!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:37 AM   #45
0wn3|)

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Hello, I had stopped playing fortress forever a while back. I played for about a week, until Team Fortress 2 Beta came out. I laugh at those, No Offense, who say that FF was better than Team Fortress 2. Team Fortress 2 ripped FF right off its feet. I hadn't remembered FF, until I visited Planethalflife. I realized that they had posted some news, saying that FF had a new patch release. Now reading this topic, I have found that you guys have been planning to make this mod more popular. For the first week FF was released, things were going great. So many people, half of the players in Team Fortress Classic left that game, and decided to move to FF. Then a week passed, the FF players and servers dropped, Team Fortress Classic regained it's place, and Team Fortress 2 got popular.

A huge mistake you made was the timing. It seemed, towards the end you we're rushing... so that caused some problems.

Another big mistake was, I believe, a forum member posted saying that they refused to use Valve's Offer of advertising and also included that FF was too buggy. That really, well it lost you a lot of players. Haven't valve said themselves, they will be updating TeamFortress 2 just like they did with CSS? I mean CSS had bugs at first, but those got fixed. Since you did not advertise from the start, let alone accept the offer, that screwed you over. It doesn't matter if the game was buggy, you could've followed the path the Valve took, and updated it along the way. I agree that advertising on other forums will just create a mess and so on and so forth.

Last be not least, was the style of the game. The looks of the character and the maps made me feel like playing Unreal Tournament or something. I remember reading a review on FF, and they showed a chart. First was TF, then was TFC, then Came TF2 and each had a distinctive picture of a Heavy Weapons Guy. But what was under TFC? A picture of HWG from FF and stating under the picture of the FF HWG, " The Bastard Child. " I've also read the review saying that the style is not the same as TFC, and I totally agree. And yes I am sorry for being cruel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngeeMan
Garry's Mod was very original, nothing really had existed like that in online PC shooters up until that point. Running around with buds and building contraptions and scripting your own gamemode. There was a vacuum for creativity-based mods in Half-Life 2 and Gmod filled that void.

What mods are out for Half-Life 2 now?

Insurgency. DoD/CS in the desert. Dead.
Zombie Master. You know how many zombie mods there are for Gmod, CS, DoD, and probably HL2: DM? And yet someone makes ANOTHER zombie mod. Dead.
Pirates Vikings Knights 2. Sequel to unpopular mod is unpopular. Dead.
The Ship. Technically a retail mod, but see the comment for PVK2. Dead.
Dystopia. I actually liked this, but the map design had horrible chokepoints. Suicide.
The Hidden: Source. WAY WAY easy to cheat on this and ruin the entire point fo the game. Dead.
Then there are a bunch of deathmatch mods that are all dead as well.

If someone comes up with an original game experience that isn't just a rehash of either older mods/games or slight tweaks of current mods/games then they can do well. Rehashing a good game again leads to failure, and rehashing the a game that was unpopular leads to epic failure.
I think your forgetting a mod under there also. Since your are saying that mods with little amount of players are dead, well then shouldn't FF be in that list also? Because Insurgency has more players than FF, and uhh Hidden is still alive... and Zombie Master has more players than FF.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:34 AM   #46
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Well, we need to kick out a big patch with training, bots, 2fort, new maps, new features, etc. Can't just constantly push out semi-minor patches, because they don't get too many people excited about FF.

If not 1.2, then 1.3...

DrEvil's wanting to get his bots in FF as soon as possible, so that might be 1.2. Which would likely mean 1.3 would be the big patch.

Problem is...hardly any of the dev team is around right now. And with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, it'll probably be even harder to get a big patch out.

Should try to get 1.2 out before Christmas, with bots and maybe some community maps (ff_session is really nice). Then we shoot for 1.3 in early 2008, with lots of new "bells and whistles."

All of this is just me rambling. Not really "the plan" or anything like that.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #47
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
and with attitudes like yours we have no room to grow.

EDIT: Also, 1.1 is not buggy. The source engine is buggy, so take it up with Valve.
Agree with the first bit, but then considering this was my first post in a month or so should show my level of care for the mod ;/

As for Source Engine being buggy, I'm sure it is, the same as any software (sub)platform. However, I don't get crashes in any other game based on Source, only FF.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #48
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
However, I don't get crashes in any other game based on Source, only FF.
dude download 1.1 and 1.11 they fixed a TON of shit and everything is working better now. Like I tell everyone...give the game a chance now that the updates are out!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 11-16-2007, 09:05 PM   #49
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Agree with the first bit, but then considering this was my first post in a month or so should show my level of care for the mod ;/
It also showed that your level of care for the mod was based on the community. And the community has changed. So, your care level should increase like so:

Number of elitest tossers: down
Your care level: up

As long as that happens with you (and many others), the mod should be in good shape. Let's start with you. Start playing FF again.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #50
barronofhellion

well i think the main problem for not having floods of players is because there are so many good players in ff... basicly for any new player to come along and try the mod .. 1st off they dont have a clue to whats going on, and then dont understand the point of what say the map is... then the worst part for them is they get pwned in every direction... then they get upset and go play something mindless say css where you just slowly shoot the other team with no real goal other then that

Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #51
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by barronofhellion
well i think the main problem for not having floods of players is because there are so many good players in ff... basicly for any new player to come along and try the mod .. 1st off they dont have a clue to whats going on, and then dont understand the point of what say the map is... then the worst part for them is they get pwned in every direction... then they get upset and go play something mindless say css where you just slowly shoot the other team with no real goal other then that
Hello, training mode! Christ, we need a training mode. Hey. Training mode. How about some sort of training mode? I'd like to see a sort of mode in which to train implemented. Perhaps a 'training mode.' Training mode.

Training mode is the solution to everything. Seriously.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #52
barronofhellion

i personaly would like to see a training mode before bots ;p

Old 11-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #53
leilei
o^_^o

Class/Position: O
Gametype: CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by [WP]Carl
We need to look into possibly advertising for FF?
Nah, FF has enough publicity.

Once 2fort actually exists in a release, true magic will happen =) just wait

and yeah, can't avoid Source's bugs. I've never recommended it for modding anyway

Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #54
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

hey now; let the naysayer's blow off their ego steam; when they come back, they're gonna come back under another alias so that they won't be recogged as the doom prophets from the west; let them wallow in TF2 until they get fed up with it

FF is constantly under development; even once a perfect balanced game mechanics are implimented, the devs have given impressions that new features might be added and then rebalanced; and once animators/modelers come along and perhaps visual programmers for eye candy, it might be worthwhile to save threads like this and have a good laugh at the short-sightedness of so many

who knows, may be the spy's cloak will eventually look like the predator from the movie

Old 11-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #55
Bakez

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jon
Well, we need to kick out a big patch with training, bots, 2fort, new maps, new features, etc. Can't just constantly push out semi-minor patches, because they don't get too many people excited about FF.

If not 1.2, then 1.3...

DrEvil's wanting to get his bots in FF as soon as possible, so that might be 1.2. Which would likely mean 1.3 would be the big patch.

Problem is...hardly any of the dev team is around right now. And with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, it'll probably be even harder to get a big patch out.

Should try to get 1.2 out before Christmas, with bots and maybe some community maps (ff_session is really nice). Then we shoot for 1.3 in early 2008, with lots of new "bells and whistles."

All of this is just me rambling. Not really "the plan" or anything like that.
SAME OLD SAME OLD THATS WHAT HAS BEEN SAID FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS

Old 11-17-2007, 10:19 PM   #56
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakez
SAME OLD SAME OLD THATS WHAT HAS BEEN SAID FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS

That is a constant on free mods. I have one I'm playing that is pretty good and fairly polished. IT HAS ONE PROGRAMMER at the moment.

ONE.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:23 AM   #57
[WP]Carl
Fortress Forever Player

Send a message via AIM to [WP]Carl Send a message via MSN to [WP]Carl
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilei
Nah, FF has enough publicity.

Once 2fort actually exists in a release, true magic will happen =) just wait

and yeah, can't avoid Source's bugs. I've never recommended it for modding anyway

i know it seem bizarre but 2-300 people isnt enough, whatever happens we need to get the name known the are well over 300,000 players playing on steam 2-300+ player is good but letts get atleast 1000 player known ands playing to mod. we need to coordinate some big effort and just show how awesoem FF is.I played tf2, great game, but i will still play ff for the faster paced fun game =)

Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #58
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
what really is the downfall of FF is how the servers that do exist are not upgrading to version 1.1 . The admin of these servers have already forgotten
about FF and they are many. what a shame.

If TF2 never came out, FF would probably be the number 1 TF mod. No doubt.

i have to say, TF2 is a gorgeous game with it's new style of graphics and playability for noobs and elite.

I recently got a friend (total noob) playing TF2 cuz it's learning curve isn't so hard as opposed to FF. With FF you must be intermediate to advanced or you'll get
your ass kicked every time. This is why FF will never go anywhere. The Dev's
totally forgot about the noobs and made it the way they wanted it as well
as the elite community's input. With this kind of thinking, a mod is already
DEAD before it has begun.

FF will never go anywhere without a whole new set of rules and graphical enhancements such as animations, shadows, character looks, etc.

I think the biggest mistake the Dev team made was making FF a closed BETA. only a handful of ELITE's would give their inputs......this is all wrong
from the get go. You have to have a mixed community's input, elite and nubs to make it a well rounded game.

One more thing...people love 2fort...look at TF2...many dedicated servers that run 2fort only and those servers are always packed......

poor ol' FF is a complete mess at the moment.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #59
Icarus
D&A Member

I think the downwall was poor public play on maps , they may look great but i think they play poor on public servers (yeah I know , clan play is what is important...) I played TFC until FF came out and although i'm still playing FF , the time i do is getting less and less each day due to the gameplay .

The redesigned Well is just tedious to play and you spend half the time getting spawn spammed .

Aardvark is the same for spawn spam (unless you get a clan style game in which case its a fantastic map)

Monkey ? Red/Greens teams , what a top decision that was. Give 1 side natural camouflage not too mention those who have trouble differentiating colour

No 2fort . Not having the most basic of fortress style maps was a huge mistake.

I'll drift on with FF having the odd game here and there but i'll probably stick mainly to conc maps and if i need a good fortress style game then i think tfc is probably the better choice for me.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #60
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0undch4s3r
The Dev's
totally forgot about the noobs and made it the way they wanted it as well
as the elite community's input. With this kind of thinking, a mod is already
DEAD before it has begun.
wow... Totally wrong, you have no idea how many times things have been tweaked for noobs. Also, many features and considerations were specifically for noobs.

Quote:
I think the biggest mistake the Dev team made was making FF a closed BETA. only a handful of ELITE's would give their inputs......this is all wrong
from the get go. You have to have a mixed community's input, elite and nubs to make it a well rounded game.
Wrong. There were people who never played ANY tf game on the beta team. There were really not that many ELITE players that were beta testers. The beta team is rather well balanced.

Quote:
One more thing...people love 2fort...look at TF2...many dedicated servers that run 2fort only and those servers are always packed......

poor ol' FF is a complete mess at the moment.
Remember ... perception does not always equal reality.

Last edited by 4est; 11-18-2007 at 11:22 AM.

Closed Thread