Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #81
benjpac

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
LOL 10 minutes to master all the classes eh? And... years to even begin to master all of the FF classes? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard concerning these mods.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:14 PM   #82
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjpac
LOL 10 minutes to master all the classes eh? And... years to even begin to master all of the FF classes? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard concerning these mods.
It's probably closer to the truth than any other statement too.

How many ppl do you know that have "Mastered" all classes in TFC? By mastered, I mean they could compete at a platinum level in league play. I know of zero. There are some that have mastered 4 or 5, but I don't know any that have mastered all 9.

FF has been tweaked to be easier to pick up and play. However, the classes still have that same type of depth.

Last edited by 4est; 09-23-2007 at 03:56 PM.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #83
MightyLotu

stay in tf2 benj
thx
MightyLotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #84
BobTheChainsaw

Meh, I don't play Fortress Forever anymore because TF2 is so much better.
BobTheChainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #85
Caspar

I'm just saddened that TF2 is going to win the player count war based on the exposure it'll get from steam and the orange box alone, even if it is the duller game.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #86
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
I'm actually v impressed by FF's player numbers so far, I wasn't expecting nearly so many this early on. Imo the real test is 1 year from now, when the game has been tweaked and polished and the community has had a chance to make a load more decent maps. Mods don't just become big overnight (for example, look how long cs took to get good and then get the player numbers up). I think TF2 could work out being great for FF, as it gets a hell of a lot of new ppl interested in TF in general, who then might hopefully check out FF in the coming years if they want a much faster deeper more player skill orientated TF game.
One also has to consider that TF was built off of Quake, which was pretty much the only game in town when it came to online DMing.

TF did things that were new and fun. When TFC came around, all of those players ran over to play it. It constantly evolved and they stuck with it.

Then TFC stopped evolving and was left in an unfinished state. Those players disappeared.

The same thing is bound to happen with FF. Even if the game is absolutely perfect, the community must not lose momentum.

We can count on one thing - Valve will abandon TF2 in time, just like they abandon all games that do not have "Half Life" in the title. I know that the devzorz will not abandon FF, and that kind of dedication to the community is what people really respect.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #87
Caspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheChainsaw
Meh, I don't play Fortress Forever anymore because TF2 is so much better.
People like this are the people that never played TFC properly :/

Old 09-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #88
Ginger Lord
Retired FF Staff

Affiliations: Custard
Send a message via MSN to Ginger Lord
All the "lol, why play FF when TF2 is better talk" needs to stop. I'm all for free speech and what not but saying stuff like that doesnt do anyone any favours aside from making the original poster look like a twunt.

If you don't like the mod, fine. At least post constructive criticism on what could be changed rather than stating you're never gonna play FF again.
Ginger Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #89
Sabre
Creg

I've said this before but seen no response so far, it's almost like government policies trying too hard to be politically correct, the forums seem to be trying to hard to avoid the nazi moderation tag. Please start dealing with kids who are not interested in giving mature and constructive criticism because all this negative bollocks some of the forum children are posting will do nothing but discourage new players. And benjpac it's quite clear you have never discovered most of the advanced features TFC/FF had to offer, most likely because they were slightly to complicated for you to get your head round.
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #90
jaguax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspar
I'm just saddened that TF2 is going to win the player count war based on the exposure it'll get from steam and the orange box alone, even if it is the duller game.
So TF2 is popular SOLELY because of advertising huh? And people aren't actually having fun despite playing for hours upon hours, it's just that the advertising had some kind of subliminal messaging that made you become addicted to the game, despite it being dull. Did I hit the nail on the head?

Think before you post man... Just because YOU think it is dull does not mean that the thousands of people playing it right now do. As I've said in other threads, almost every TF2 pub I go into has very positive comments about the game.

And people ARE aware of FF. It's just that most of them choose to play the more updated game of TF2 because it's finally something DIFFERENT than TFC.

All that being said, TFC was and still is one of my favorite games of all time, and when FF came out I had nothing but positive things to say about it. I defended it on other forums that would flame it. "This game sucks, it's the exact same thing as TFC... I didn't wait all this time for the same game!" That was the typical comment you would see and I would defend it as much as I could.

However right now I am having too much fun with TF2 to go back to FF. Not saying that I never will, but just not at the moment. I hope FF does become popular, I REALLY do. It is certainly deserving of it. And it allows new players who've never played TFC to experience a very similar game.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #91
NoComply

I just hate the speed of tf2. I can't get past it, it feels a lot like a console fps. Thats not to say you can't have a deep and speedy fps on a console, Unreal Championship 2 was pretty awesome! Fast game play with a good balance between the shooting and melee. You didn't just spam shots, was better to make one good charged blast, and reflecting those deadly shots back was cool.

I would love to be able to form a better opinion of tf2 but I keep crashing or freezing up. It isn't that my computer isn't fast enough either. When I don't mind playing for a few minutes in tf2 then it was alright, just too slow to get a feel of the game when you can't play it for that long.
NoComply is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #92
tu!

benji = tassadar!1!
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #93
TeleFragged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguax
So TF2 is popular SOLELY because of advertising huh? And people aren't actually having fun despite playing for hours upon hours, it's just that the advertising had some kind of subliminal messaging that made you become addicted to the game, despite it being dull. Did I hit the nail on the head?

Think before you post man... Just because YOU think it is dull does not mean that the thousands of people playing it right now do. As I've said in other threads, almost every TF2 pub I go into has very positive comments about the game.

And people ARE aware of FF. It's just that most of them choose to play the more updated game of TF2 because it's finally something DIFFERENT than TFC.

All that being said, TFC was and still is one of my favorite games of all time, and when FF came out I had nothing but positive things to say about it. I defended it on other forums that would flame it. "This game sucks, it's the exact same thing as TFC... I didn't wait all this time for the same game!" That was the typical comment you would see and I would defend it as much as I could.

However right now I am having too much fun with TF2 to go back to FF. Not saying that I never will, but just not at the moment. I hope FF does become popular, I REALLY do. It is certainly deserving of it. And it allows new players who've never played TFC to experience a very similar game.
You fail to see logic in advertising. Advertising doesn't magically make people play games. No one is saying it does. It does however make people aware of something. If Team Fortress 2 is advertised to millions of people as opposed to the thousands that Fortress-Forever is advertised to, which do you think would acquire more players. I'd suggest you first pass high school then graduate from college before making a post like that again.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #94
EngeeMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleFragged
You fail to see logic in advertising. Advertising doesn't magically make people play games. No one is saying it does. It does however make people aware of something. If Team Fortress 2 is advertised to millions of people as opposed to the thousands that Fortress-Forever is advertised to, which do you think would acquire more players. I'd suggest you first pass high school then graduate from college before making a post like that again.
Advertising gets people to try/develop interest in the product, the product itself is what will keep them buying it. TF2's numbers have consistently gone up over first days of its (pre)release and FF's continue to go down. Do you think these people bought into the evil Valve marketing monolith and are playing an unfun game or what?

Likewise, do you think those 3,000 people who played FF around release are just taking a break from the awesome time they had and they will be right back?

Granted, TF2 has a lot to do with the extremely drastic drop in interest, but if what you said holds water TF2's numbers will start decreasing and FF's will start increasing over time as people get bored of the game they mastered in an hour and a half and a single map cycle and stick with the game that really has depth and longevity.

Oh, and about the "master the class in 10 minutes", you should really play the devs from Valve. They are bloody awesome at the game and raped our team so quickly we failed to even capture a single point over 5 rounds on 2 maps. Raped as in coordinated and were just flat out more skilled and deadly with any given class than any of us were.
EngeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 12:51 AM   #95
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Yes blah blah blah, TF2 good game. yes yes.

But lets not ignore TF2's undoings. A lot of threads are coming up now in the steam forums that show the imbalance of TF2.

-the number of medic players is rapidly declining due to people realizing, they would rather frag than listen to people bitch about how they died because the medic wasn't fast enough healing them

-pyro players are declining rapidly because other classes can do everything that a pyro does, at least 2 times better. Oh, except for putting people on fire.

-soldiers need to land 2 direct hits on scouts to kill them...WTF?

-scouts and spys seem to be gaining popularity, the first claimed as overpowered w/ speed+shotgun+bat and the latter claimed overpowered with cloak and sappers

-alt+tab black screen

-still crashing for some DX

-still crashing on some mapchanges

The bugs will be addressed, but gamplay tweaks, (in terms of how valve historically handles gameplay tweaks) will most likely be addressed by modders and plugins, (which will most likely try to emulate FF).
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 01:37 AM   #96
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

I honestly don't know why all the TF2ers with their jizz-encrusted photos of Gabe Newell are still here. I mean, if you're so confident 'your' game is so much fucking better, why the hell not go play it while we consider how to make 'our' game larger and better?

Are you so sad and pathetic you need to go into other forums and gum up the works with your non-constructive bullshit? Honestly, do you shit all over anything you don't like that didn't cost you a cent and you have no money/time/emotion invested in?

TLDR: Grow the fuck up and say something constructive or go jack off into oblivion

Internet! It's serious business!
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 AM   #97
MikeQuist
Person

In response to Mike Gayner,

I believe you have some things you are right about... For one, yes, it kinda stinks that the devs promised a training module and it didn't transpire. In all fairness, I am quite aware that there was a pretty well developed training module, and the devs were not expecting to run into trouble with it so close to release.

Also, you are quite right that there were plenty of substantial and unsubstantial bugs in the release. As a beta tester, I know there was hundreds upon hundreds, if not thousands upon thousands of bugs that were crushed. In the end, it really came down to getting the mod released before TF2 as the devs said they would.

I too wish that it could be bug free, but in relation to every other mod previously released, and even some professional games, it was very well polished.

That said, I understand your preference of TF2 over FF. Both are benchmark games, and both have their faults. There is an obvious difference in style, and I respect your inclination towards your gamestyle of choice...So please do the same and respect ours.
MikeQuist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 03:08 AM   #98
benjpac

Quote:
And benjpac it's quite clear you have never discovered most of the advanced features TFC/FF had to offer, most likely because they were slightly to complicated for you to get your head round.
I played in multiple top clans in TFC for over a period of 4 years. I know all the little tricks in the game. Obviously I found the play style extremely fun to play it for 4 years. My entire point is that FF brings us nothing new. After 4 years of TFC, most of us are ready for a new and improved team fortress. What is different about FF? Most people are about as excited about FF as people were about the port of counterstrike to the source engine... and more people still play the old counterstrike...

Once again - I realize tfc/ff has a lot of depth.. do not try to belittle my comments saying that I am too stupid to master these games. I played in multiple top clans and I throughly enjoyed playing TFC. I am not saying the game is not fun... it just isn't new. You will not get a huge player base over time because TFC has been out for too long. It would be like releasing the old school super mario bros and only updating its graphics slightly... no one would buy that.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:52 AM   #99
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjpac
It would be like releasing the old school super mario bros and only updating its graphics slightly... no one would buy that.
Dude Super Mario Allstars fucking rules!
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 05:29 AM   #100
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT
Dude Super Mario Allstars fucking rules!
super mario RPG ftw!
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote