a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Why bunnyhopping is better than your mom

Seriously though, here's my defense of bunnyhopping:

It's simple psychology; the average mind of any TF player craves constant stimulation, and therefore simply holding your "W" key to move forward results in cognitive unrest, where your brain says "F%@& I AM SO BORED" (Counter-Strike.) Bunnyhopping remedies this (brief) lack of stimulation by making movement a process which requires some higher brain function (and, therefore, excitement.)

More importantly, it just makes intuitive sense. Olympic sprinters don't just think "+forward" and let their legs do whatever works, they spend alot of time training their muscle memory to run very efficiently. Bunnyhopping is, effectively, sprinting! The more you do it, the better you get. Bunnyhopping is one of the many skills which TF offers to players for learning such that the small advantage which they procure creates a hearty feeling of accomplishment.

And, your mom isn't that great anyway.

The war is never over!

-Joker
Private_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Magical-Mark
Titles are overrated...

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I agree with you, bunny hopping is a great thing, I do not think that you neded to say it in that way...what kinde of way of saying it is that anyway?

Also I think that your going to have a hard time finding anyone on this forum that do not think that bunnyhopping is great.

-Mark
Magical-Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
JactusCack

Cant be arsed with bunnyhopping as I cant do it
JactusCack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
moogle

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
This be the Moogle... I can teach anyone to bunnyhop. You start with learning to accelerate from a single strafe jump. A strafe jump is done by holding a strafe key of your choice (right or left), and turning the mouse at a certain constant speed, you then press jump (you can also continue turning that way in the air after jumping and get more speed if needed). Then you work on ONLY pressing jump to keep the speed gained afterwards: from the strafejump. Then you add in regulating strafe speed so you don't slow down or speed up too soon, and voila your bunnyhopping! You alternate using the right and left strafe keys (strafe jumping) when bunnyhopping while jumping in a way that you don't lose speed (as I mentioned you learn earlier).

If I was at your house I could teach you in about 20 minutes probably.

With strafejumping (and bunnyhopping), there is a speed which is the max turn speed of your mouse which generates the greatest speed gain before you press the jump key. When you hit jump you want to keep turning that fast as well (gaining more speed in the air). in Team Fortress Classic (TFC) the variable cl_yawspeed 293 is the ideal turn speed for maximum overall speed gains. From there just type in console +right or +left. Then you will see the optimum speed to turn!!! Just a really nice way to see how it works.

Ideally, in game, you sometimes turn faster or slower than the optimum-CONSTANT-turn speed for max speed gains to dodge/strategically plan your speed gains (especially so you don't max out or cap your bunnyhop speed too early - which is 175% a classes speed I believe).

It is easier to bunnyhop/strafejump with a generally lower sensitivity because when you turn there is a more constant speed which tends to generate the max speed you want.

Using an MX500, with 1000hz USB poll rate, I tend to want a sensitivity that lets me do 3 circles on my mouse pad. 4 circles on a standard mouse pad (when dragging the mouse from the farthest left to farthest right position) is hard to control and you shouldn't really go over that for bunnyhopping.

:P Yes it took me like 2 months to figure out bunnyhopping but it was worth it. Reading what I just wrote should cut that time considerably in half (I would hope and tried to help).

Now please don't hate on bunnyhopping anymore now you can see it as an appreciated skill :P

My instant messenger name is m00gle035 (zer0s, not O's)... AIM msg me and I will teach you when I can

Last edited by moogle; 09-26-2007 at 07:40 PM.
moogle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
moogle

The TFC cl_yawspeed 293 (optimum-constant-mouse-turn speed), is something I figured out on my own. It sets the speed that the +right and +left turn buttons turn you. It's a good personal way for people trying to learn to strafejump, and eventually bunnyhop, to learn how to move the mouse.

^^^^ 1)This is why most people can't bunnyhop. They don't know you are supposed to move the mouse at a constant optimum speed when strafing to gain speed.

2)This second reason is 99fps is needed. You can, however, do some pretty decent strafejumps with even 30fps. 60fps is a bhop minimum requirement. This does pose a tough requirement for Fortress Forever because of the new graphics. I didn't think of this. Hmmm. <shrugs>.

I had great fps with all settings on full.
================================================== =
Computer:
e6850 (3ghz dual core), 8800GTS, evga a1 motherboard, 4GB RAM 4-4-4-12 timings, 333 cpu clock, 1333 effective USB.

3dMark06 Score: 9471
SM 2.0 Score: 3979
SM 3.0 Score: 4168
CPU Score: 2712
1 Proxycon: 33.693
2 Firefly: 32.624
3 Red Valley: .856
4 Red Valley: 1.376

Last edited by moogle; 09-26-2007 at 08:07 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
... Don't listen to anything he just said haha. Moogle, still not changed a bit have ya?
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
Industrial

Actually you [b]don't[b] have to constantly move your mouse to stay at the same speed. You can leave the mouse alone on a straight path and just jump and get the same momentum.

Edit: what was this a joke? > : |
Industrial is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
cOmPaCt

here we go again

everyone knows bh is just another form of cheating
ill stick to tf2 a real mans game.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
lol nice, compact.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
moogle

Dospac, I have changed. What hasn't changed is your opinion of me based on long ago. BTW, Why not read what I posted? It is the scoop on the bunnyhopping topic.

I accept that DuM, blinK, Verse, Oracle, theRock, and other such people dominated me in game with bunnyhopping back in the day. I liked the challenge and extra room for skill bunnyhopping gives the game. It saddens me you must nerf FF because of this I am surprised Dospac wasn't for FF bunnyhopping.

I'll just play TFC for bunnyhopping and movement. I hope FF bunnyhopping and movement settings are how you want Dospac. I got what I want with TFC :P

Bunnyhopping is a topic that needed my input.

Last edited by moogle; 09-26-2007 at 09:27 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #11
tu!

you ever pub @ tfc gow moogle?
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
moogle

I don't think I have in years, I will enter a GoW server now. I was in an openfire server a few days ago not sure which. I was away from TFC for a year. I look to mulch when I can find a challenge to play (sometimes in the KILL Machine server). Pub, just a little not really.

*Those Bhop servers warp weird when I hop given my bad connection. The 175% cap bunnyhop is just fine though fast would be nice if it was fully supported not just simulated.

Last edited by moogle; 09-26-2007 at 09:35 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #13
Magical-Mark
Titles are overrated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cOmPaCt
here we go again

everyone knows bh is just another form of cheating
ill stick to tf2 a real mans game.
What kind of man likes having no grenades?
Magical-Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 10:35 PM   #14
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Bhop is a speed cheat, on my servers, and I kick and/or ban for it, in every game I run, including FF. If CS players are bored that's no excuse, imho.

If other servers want to allow it, that's their business, but not on mine.

YMMV...
SME is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #15
scaryomg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical-Mark
What kind of man likes having no grenades?
real ones.
scaryomg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #16
Pyr0
Can you feel the heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SME
Bhop is a speed cheat, on my servers, and I kick and/or ban for it, in every game I run, including FF. If CS players are bored that's no excuse, imho.

If other servers want to allow it, that's their business, but not on mine.

YMMV...
Bunnyhoping was IMPLEMENTED into FF... how can you consider it a cheat?
Pyr0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #17
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogle
A strafe jump is done by holding a strafe key of your choice (right or left), and turning the mouse at a certain constant speed, you then press jump (you can also continue turning that way in the air after jumping and get more speed if needed). Then you work on ONLY pressing jump to keep the speed gained afterwards: from the strafejump. Then you add in regulating strafe speed so you don't slow down or speed up too soon, and voila your bunnyhopping!
Except that you're not referring to strafe jumping. You're talking about gliding and air control. Anyway, I'm sure you're better at showing people vs trying to communicate it in writing.

Re: Bhop in FF, I'm quite happy with it. I would personally have set the soft cap a bit higher, but not by more than 10% over FF v1. At any rate, there are other changes still needed that relate to this..

Old 09-27-2007, 12:14 AM   #18
NewKleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogle
2)This second reason is 99fps is needed. You can, however, do some pretty decent strafejumps with even 30fps. 60fps is a bhop minimum requirement.
in tfc yes, in FF no. in TFC, higher FPS = longer time you're in the air. at 1000fps its like gravity is halved.

this isnt the same in FF. 700fps doesnt really keep you in air longer than 50fps. therefore the only effect fps has on bunnyhopping is making sure you have enough just so gameplay is smooth enough for you to do what you want. the new hold jump style also helps out a bit there.
NewKleer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 02:22 AM   #19
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewKleer
in tfc yes, in FF no. in TFC, higher FPS = longer time you're in the air. at 1000fps its like gravity is halved.

this isnt the same in FF. 700fps doesnt really keep you in air longer than 50fps. therefore the only effect fps has on bunnyhopping is making sure you have enough just so gameplay is smooth enough for you to do what you want. the new hold jump style also helps out a bit there.
You have the new Intel FUCKIGNNUCLEAR Octo-Core, don't you? >> Are those FPS' even possible?
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #20
NewKleer

no just an overclocked dual core e6750. im sure a GTX can get you 1000FPS in right parts of the map, 700 fps was the high end of scale (in one of respawn, forget what map), mostly its 250-400 empty server. either way, highest FPS matters little if you get spammed down to 20fps if you have a crappy cpu.

FF is currently only single threadded so its a waste of money etc to get a quad...just get a C2D as fast as possible (ie overclock as much as you can) and reasonable graphics card and youll be set.

eg itd be a waste to match a amd 4000+ with a 8800GTX thatll only get 40 in spam, compared to a 3ghz c2d and 7900/8600 that might only get 150fps in open, but hold maybe half that in spam
NewKleer is offline   Reply With Quote