Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server/Player Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #41
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
If that's the case and I were a Dev I would just pack it up right now and call'er quits.

I'd laugh if that happens, as out of all the finger pointing going around, the killing stroke to this game would land squarely on the public community.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 AM   #42
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Buckshot Moose View Post
Turns out this "enhancement" has made its way onto the O-T server as well...
There is always my server and kube's server.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014

Old 07-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #43
CHURCHMOUTH
crystaLcity
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier D
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Goodfellas
Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
Five fucking mirvs on the fucking flag, %h %a

<3 Gator!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #44
mentalERROR
[DGAF]

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I've got tissues for the all you people crying about this issue and a hand to hold for those that can't figure out how to play this damn game from one server to the next. Dumb argument and waste of forum space, gj to those who are running what's there's as they please, reminds me why I shut my server down. -gfy

Old 07-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #45
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalERROR View Post
I've got tissues for the all you people crying about this issue and a hand to hold for those that can't figure out how to play this damn game from one server to the next. Dumb argument and waste of forum space, gj to those who are running what's there's as they please, reminds me why I shut my server down. -gfy
You missed the point completely. Server owners can add all the rules they want, but when it comes to the core dynamics of the game, it crosses the line. You can trow the Neo TFC argument at me, but end of the day Neo TFC severs advertise a difference, while new players join servers like Talos and OT without knowing that this is not how FF 2.43 is meant to be played.

You got OT with Mirvs, nail grenades and Gas Nades.
Talos, with Mirvs, gas nades, over powered lazer grenades, and over powered over pressure.

Imagine if every server had their own custom game of FF, it would be confusing for new players.

OT and Talos are only hurting the community.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #46
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
lol mental... You automatically came into my server, realized the gravity had been changed, decided to bitch about it saying, "AND YOU BITCH AT TALOS FOR CHANGING THEIR SERVER," when in reality I put it to a vote. The people voted for the low gravity.

You assume, then immediately criticize. It makes you look foolish.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 AM   #47
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
For me, it's the fact that I hate mods in Fortress games. I especially hated Neo-TF. I hate these mods too. Especially since they're not advertised on the servers. But the main point is that changing the game dynamics is a much bigger step than just setting rules.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #48
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill-----> View Post
You missed the point completely. Server owners can add all the rules they want, but when it comes to the core dynamics of the game, it crosses the line. You can trow the Neo TFC argument at me, but end of the day Neo TFC severs advertise a difference, while new players join servers like Talos and OT without knowing that this is not how FF 2.43 is meant to be played.

You got OT with Mirvs, nail grenades and Gas Nades.
Talos, with Mirvs, gas nades, over powered lazer grenades, and over powered over pressure.

Imagine if every server had their own custom game of FF, it would be confusing for new players.

OT and Talos are only hurting the community.
Exactly. As much as I defend every server owners their rights to make whatever rules they wish for their servers... I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with this action of theirs. It's going to do way more damage than good to this mod, unless they do something to "advertise" their servers as "non-stock" mods of the game. I somehow doubt that either server will do this(although, I could be pleasently surprised).

Quote:
For me, it's the fact that I hate mods in Fortress games. I especially hated Neo-TF. I hate these mods too. Especially since they're not advertised on the servers. But the main point is that changing the game dynamics is a much bigger step than just setting rules.
I actually enjoyed Neo-TFC.... but the thing is, I knew going onto those servers that they differed from most TFC servers. Drippy's modifications are not to the core gameplay(except for limiting bunnyhop), but mostly visual. You still had the classes behaving the same as you would on other servers, with the same abilities, weapons, and grenades.

With these servers(Talos and O-T) doing what their doing... they are going to confuse new players(and yes, I've played on both.... and seen new players join). I didn't see anyone with an O-T tag on their server that night, or I would have asked about it.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #49
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Exactly. As much as I defend every server owners their rights to make whatever rules they wish for their servers... I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with this action of theirs. It's going to do way more damage than good to this mod, unless they do something to "advertise" their servers as "non-stock" mods of the game. I somehow doubt that either server will do this(although, I could be pleasently surprised).

I actually enjoyed Neo-TFC.... but the thing is, I knew going onto those servers that they differed from most TFC servers. Drippy's modifications are not to the core gameplay(except for limiting bunnyhop), but mostly visual. You still had the classes behaving the same as you would on other servers, with the same abilities, weapons, and grenades.

With these servers(Talos and O-T) doing what their doing... they are going to confuse new players(and yes, I've played on both.... and seen new players join). I didn't see anyone with an O-T tag on their server that night, or I would have asked about it.
They have now dubbed their server NeoFF... HAHAHA

Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #50
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Both of them? At least it's a step in the right direction.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #51
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
They should change it to OldFF, not NeoFF haha.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #52
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Both of them? At least it's a step in the right direction.
Just OT.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:42 AM   #53
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToXxX View Post
FF has new players? Sense when? Realistically the only reason why this game is updated is for pickup player "elite". It's NOT geared toward new players. Stop kidding yourselves. And you know that is a fact. Everyone has complained and/or commented about how the updates were effecting the "pickups" ffs... And the only reason why you would compare Talos to OT is to troll. But, it's ok. We understand. =D
I would just like to add that O-T does actually keep up with their playerbase. Last I heard is that they picked up over 200 players when that patch released and I'm actually noticing people coming back. It's pretty amazing how far a community can go if they'd just give a damn about their player base. I'm really not happy about their switch back to mirvs and nail nades, but hell, you can't deny them for a good atmosphere. Not to hate on anyone. Just saying it's a good idea to do this.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #54
color43
FF Player
D&A Member

The powerful overpressure on TALOS is very fun. It makes me play FF for long periods of time. What's the harm in that? Look at counter-strike, all kinds of servers have little mods/plugins that change some minor gameplay features.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #55
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout, Engineer and Sniper
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by color43 View Post
The powerful overpressure on TALOS is very fun. It makes me play FF for long periods of time. What's the harm in that? Look at counter-strike, all kinds of servers have little mods/plugins that change some minor gameplay features.
Yes, but Counter-Strike has thousands of servers and tens of thousands of active players, and the core gameplay on most of them is the same, servers just add their own style, ranking, rules etc... For every server that is noticeably modded, 30 other servers aren't.

The difference being between Counter-Strike and Fortress Forever is quite obvious, we are a considerably smaller community, with the very few servers that gain players, changing one of the most popular would be like Counter-Strike changing 500 popular servers or more, so it would have a similar impact.

It does more harm than good in a normal server, unless a seperate "fun" server is made, which is why people have skill servers, koRn used to have his Low Gravity server and others have. But they are novelties.

I think with regard to Fortress Forever, it is a huge insult to the Development team who worked so hard to get 2.42+ out, for servers to then replace some of the major updates to classes.

I for one cannot see myself playing Fortress Forever in the future.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #56
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
I think I hated servers that limited bunnyhopping even more than NeoTF servers that didn't limit bunnyhopping. It was a way to hold back skill level because the players couldn't learn to play the game as Valve made it (yes, Valve intentionally left bunnyhopping in). It was as idiotic as servers that banned rocket and conc jumping. I remember playing on one TFC server that banned rocket jumping. It was lol.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #57
angrypyro
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreaK367 View Post
Yes, but Counter-Strike has thousands of servers and tens of thousands of active players, and the core gameplay on most of them is the same, servers just add their own style, ranking, rules etc... For every server that is noticeably modded, 30 other servers aren't.
Have you seen 1.6 lately? There are probably 5 warcraft 3, zombie, or gungame servers for every 1 vanilla pub server. and 3/4 of those vanilla servers are dust2.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #58
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I think I hated servers that limited bunnyhopping even more than NeoTF servers that didn't limit bunnyhopping. It was a way to hold back skill level because the players couldn't learn to play the game as Valve made it (yes, Valve intentionally left bunnyhopping in). It was as idiotic as servers that banned rocket and conc jumping. I remember playing on one TFC server that banned rocket jumping. It was lol.
Yes, I know Valve left Bunnyhopping in as a skill mechanic. I never hated on them for it, even if I couldn't get it right. I disagree with you, though... in the idiotic as servers that banned rocket and conc jumping(and I know one particular server that banned me, just for wearing a "clan" tag, even though I broke no rules). The difference is that even if the mechanic was semi-disabled... players were not denied playing on the server. Limiting the maximum player speed was no different than altering the gravity on the server. Everyone played, with no banning going on. If you didn't want to play within the limit, there were other servers(usually with more skilled players on them) to play on... but your ability to play on the server wasn't denied.

Don't forget.... many of those "capped" servers tended to cater to either newbies, or the casual gamer that either doesn't have the time or ambition to learn those skills. That doesn't make it a bad thing, unless you simply go banning people for having skills. (Yes, that's where OGABs went overboard, IMHO)

My only real concern about this, is with regards to new players. If those servers advertise themselves as "2.43", and new players see the server populated they will join, thinking they are joining a more or less stock server. If they've read the changelog, they will see a new Soldier and HW grenade, and expect to play with that. When they see the "old" grenades, they will think someone on the Dev team released a fucked up game, or changelog, or something went wrong with their install, or who knows what.

If they want to make these changes, but advertise the server(s) as "modified 2.43".... then I don't really have a problem with it.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 07-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #59
DeToXxX

Class/Position: Offense
Affiliations: [TALOS] .t5
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by color43 View Post
Actually our HW overpressure hasn't been changed at all. It's stock. Maybe it's just something else you guys can complain about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreaK367 View Post
I think with regard to Fortress Forever, it is a huge insult to the Development team who worked so hard to get 2.42+ out, for servers to then replace some of the major updates to classes.
LOLOLOL Seriously? It took them OVER a year to push out the small changes they did get out. A floating spinning flag? Nice. I've applied, and talked to many devs about joining the team and helping out w/ what I can do. Mapping, coding, etc. But, to no avail... I'm ignored. Regardless of the reasoning. If they wanted to "gear the fan base" And NOT only the pickup elite. Then they would get more people who can help them out, to make a better patch, better upgrades, better game play. Call me crazy. But, that would make sense, no?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #60
DeToXxX

Class/Position: Offense
Affiliations: [TALOS] .t5
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
oops, my bad color. I quoted you, but, I meant to quote the guys complaining about the over pressure. Not you. my bad mang. =P

Closed Thread