Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 07-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Doughnut-4|4-

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Architecture Detail

The more screenshots I began to study, the more I realized some designers had created architecture which looked real and others failed. I'm posting this in the hopes everyone will reexamine their creations and either pat themselves on the back or redesign. I'm not posting this to flame which is also why I'm not singling out any maps. Some buildings have basic detail like a roof lip and gutter. Some buildings are so beautiful with brick designs that buldge out half pillars & half domes from the walls. While some buildings look like a box with a wedge on the top. Great job on the whole. I'm choosing this area to criticize because I really can't find much else to criticize.
Doughnut-4|4- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Pigeons
Collected in my steps

Like...?
Pigeons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Beetle
Beta than eva'

go for it. id love for you to criticize ff_thecove
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spy
Affiliations: -=DoM=-
as i have played several of the FF maps(before my comp crapped out) all i can say is i have never had a complaint on the structures in the maps. those SS's DO NOT do FF justice, i promise you. its...its..its so beautiful man..
--------------------------FF_Civibash_G(Released)------------------------
-------------------FF_Conc_G1(WIP)--------------------
-------------------FF_Hollow_G(WIP)---------------------
GambiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 02:47 AM   #5
Doughnut-4|4-

It is beautiful maps like Cove with their breath-taking architecture which made me notice the less than brilliant architecture in other map photos. I really don't want this thread to turn into a flaming war which is why again I'll refrain from giving any examples. Maybe I'm just seeing things or being hyper-critical. Let me say again I'm not complaining or anything, just encouraging the pursuit of excellence.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:00 AM   #6
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
It's probably better to give constructive criticism and help with the creation of better architecture than to be quiet and have to live with the current 'sub-par' mapping. Just tell someone if you don't like something, it can always be changed. Just don't be a douche about it.

EDIT: Do you mean official maps or community maps?

Last edited by squeek.; 07-11-2007 at 03:07 AM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 03:05 AM   #7
Beetle
Beta than eva'

doughnut, you havent actually flamed or even given constructive criticism yet anyway. most of the mappers here take criticism well. its the ones that dont map that you have to worry about
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 03:19 AM   #8
Doughnut-4|4-

I am VERY precarious when it comes to posting on any web board. People take offense easily and enjoy a good verbal battle... so much so most of the time they forget the point. You've given good advice though, and I'll mention any ideas I have to the mappers personally for future criticisms, compliments, and c-words.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:25 AM   #9
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnut-4|4-
I am VERY precarious when it comes to posting on any web board. People take offense easily and enjoy a good verbal battle... so much so most of the time they forget the point. You've given good advice though, and I'll mention any ideas I have to the mappers personally for future criticisms, compliments, and c-words.
The mapping forum isn't as bad as the rest. As long as you are offering up some advice without just saying "That sucks." it will be regarded as a valid opinion and will be taken into consideration by most mappers. It is very tough to create something everybody likes when you only have your own mind offering ideas.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 03:55 AM   #10
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i'm trying to break the trend of curves and go for a very linear looking map at the moment, but trying to make it not look like some HL1 throwback is proving difficult..

Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #11
Doughnut-4|4-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
i'm trying to break the trend of curves and go for a very linear looking map at the moment, but trying to make it not look like some HL1 throwback is proving difficult..
I think maps can look upgraded by simply adding detail. Many mappers detail with curves, because it gives a futuristic look. Plus, curving off polygons on an old map is simple - everyone knows this trick will boost detail level. There are other tricks like those cool stairs in the new Well map located in the ramp room. These are very stylish, and I've seen them in apartment complexes. As an artist I was actually commissioned once to sketch a landscape from my imagination. The drafts looked like stick figures, but when I started copying trees from my neighborhood the realism and detail came to life. I am so far gone on a tangent I'll just stop this post now. Goodnight Jon Boy!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #12
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
You have no idea how happy I am after this response! Finally, a straight-lined, hard-edged map!

If you light it well enough, it would surely dissipate any HL-esque architecture your map may have, unless every angle is at 90 degrees :P
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
well i'm making a map loosely based on ctf_face from UT. the main difference is that the gametype is KOTH.

i guess i'm gonna have to go nuts on the trims?

Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 AM   #14
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Imbrifer
I completely agree, Doughnut. I haven't responded to many map posts recently, because over the years I find myself saying the same things, and while it always seems helpful, its quite repetitive and takes a while to spell out and convince the mappers.

I'll say a couple brief things here.
-Trim, trim trim! Add some trim. And then put some trim in. It makes maps much more realistic when the roofs overhang with trim (as Doughnut said) versus being textured flat faces. Adding trim to walls also makes them more realistic and visually interesting.
-Be creative and develop a theme! You don't have to use a bunch of textures to make a map, just use a few very well - switch where they are on top of eachother, come up with wall and roof themes, feelings for areas, and vary it up slightly with different parts of your map.

And Doughnut: Go into the threads of the maps you think have specific problems and state them. Please. For my sake, for their sake, and for the quality of FF maps sake. And go into the good ones and complement them on their quality work!
Imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote