pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
What be_ said..

caesium, just make some more kickass ff maps and a vid or two!

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #62
betterschindt
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
NOW FIGURE A WAY TO GET GRENADES !!!! CAUSE THATS ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS
betterschindt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 AM   #63
EngeeMan
Banned

Please make a new game that lots of people play exactly like a game that hardly anyone plays anymore. Its the perfect recipe for success.
EngeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 02:11 AM   #64
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngeeMan
Please make a new game that lots of people play exactly like a game that hardly anyone plays anymore. Its the perfect recipe for success.
It worked for FF.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #65
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
be_, yes the pyro's jet pack idea was taken directly from FF, just as FF (or TF2Turbo) didn't invent bunnyhopping or concing or rampsliding or sg's or even any of its classes or weapons etc! so what? if things like that get your panties in a twist then i actually think that TF2Turbo does more "new" things in terms of movement than FF does (i wanted to experiment with a few admittedly half-baked concepts and just see what ppl think), but that's all completely irrellevant imo. anyway, i've gone through puberty, and i'm definitely not, and never have been, in this for (or bothered about) the credit lol... i'd have thought that much would be obvious to any FF fanboy who knows his stuff

if you're really questioning my support for FF due to the amount of work you think it took to create TF2Turbo (which was basically a weekend to do the code btw, and then several months testing and tweaking..): do you have any idea at all how much work i (and more so many others who've worked on it) have put into FF over the years, and how much more i would gladly do in the future if i thought it would genuinely help and be appreciated in the long run?

i think a few here are missing a couple of very important points:

1. "why would us FF players be interested in TF2Turbo? TF2 is a completely different game than FF": yes TF2 is a completely different game than FF, but TF2Turbo is also a completely different game than TF2. the way i see it, both FF and TF2Turbo are based on the same basic concept which is updating "the legendary core Team Fortress gameplay mechanic combination of teamplay / movement / deathmatch" and trying to make it popular again. FF and TF2Turbo are different interpretations of the same concept, and so it seems logical that players who find one interesting may also enjoy the other. TF2 obviously has a very large playerbase who mostly have never even heard of FF or of the concept behind it, and so TF2Turbo may be able to help here by offering a fun noob-friendly introduction to movement skills in TF games. i don't know whether it will catch on at all and make any difference, but i've done my best so i guess we'll see.

2. "hmm ok, so why then is TF2Turbo not in direct competition with FF?": TF2Turbo has very severe limitations, restrictions and issues due to it only being a server-side plugin (TF2 cannot be "modded"). FF does not, and can be changed in pretty much any way the devs want. i cba to go into details, but this is a massive reason why, if we had an adequet number of players already interested in playing a TF game with movement skills, FF would definitely be the way ahead and should be the sole development focus of a united community effort. however, the problem is that as it stands this interest for playing a TF game with movement skills simply is not sufficient. TF2Turbo offers an chance to rectify this if it gets enough support and interest from the relevant communities. also, if TF2Turbo does somehow manage to overcome all of its inherant problems and gets played, then you should be happy that there's a free game that you might actually enjoy!

honestly, sometimes i wonder why i bother lol rojola delivers.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #66
rizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by =AS= zE
tbh imo this will compete with FF, last night i idle in #tf2turbo and guys like rizzo aftershock and other old tfcers here talking about how tfc was 99% spam and this "mode" was the semi dream of old tfcers and about forming a clan of it, getting sponsors and etc. So if the old shcool tfcers play it, lots of other tfcers will too.
what the fuck are you talking about
rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #67
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

caesium, man!

You should just join us to work on FF man, you know it.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #68
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Thanks for responding.

I am not questioning your support for a mod, I am questioning your belief that this is something that can help it. It just seems to me that it would hurt it, if anything. Trying to look at it from a (sic) TF2 players' perspective, I'd most likely rather just stick to playing what I know. It seems like good work, what you did, and I can see it turning into its own community if given support. Like I said, give it grenades and that'd be it (not completely, but close). I believe it still could be in competition with FF.

As for the pyro lift, I see a difference in copying someone else's idea if it was made by an underdog. I doubt the FF guys were paid to come up with ideas like the ones who made those other things (b-hopping, etc.). But if whoever made it doesn't mind, then meh, I won't bitch. Hopefully, if/when those players come to FF and see pyro flames, they won't start saying FF copied TF2 turbo.
be_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #69
MightyLotu

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
looks fun, though the bhop cap seems to be a bit too high
i guess it's understandable why people don't like this, i mean imagine someone making a plugin for ff with tf2 movement and no nades
well you get the point
MightyLotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #70
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Honestly, I think this mod will make TF2 a more enjoyable game to play, but I'm still an FF fanboy, so yeah.

The video is spectacular. Did you create it? We really could use someone to help create a promotional FF video, not some half baked movie like Iggy created(Iggy I love you, you have mad skills ) but something that could entice people to play this mod.

If you think about it, what this mod needs is advertising, and a dev team who is willing to continuously test and improve the game, the 2nd part they are doing very well. The first part, we now have a PR guy, who hopefully will help give some people or companies a good look at what kind of game this is. A video would help us that much more.

Other than that, I think the only other thing that really lacks in this game is the ability to teach new people how to play. We all know how popular TFC used to be in it's hay day, so it's easy to combat the argument that this game is hard to pick up on and play, but there seriously needs to be better ways to show people and teach them how to play this game, all while having fun.

Back on topic though, because I really don't want to try to derail your thread, I think that this mod you've created for TF2 is a godsend for TFC players who didn't like nades in TFC, but enjoyed the movement skills and such.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #71
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Kube, you're in the beta, you know everything we're doing, why do you continue to act ignorant?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #72
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
i dont think its an act, and i dont think its ignorance.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #73
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
It's Kube!

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #74
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Kube, you're in the beta, you know everything we're doing, why do you continue to act ignorant?
What do you mean? I know things are being done to improve this mod. I'm just reiterating what needs to be done, along with some things that are already being done. ff_training, coupled with the new things coming with the orange box source, among many other things are going to help this mod a lot, but if someone knows how to make a schweeeet video, why not try and persuade them to want to make one for FF?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2008, 11:41 PM   #75
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
The video is spectacular. Did you create it? We really could use someone to help create a promotional FF video, not some half baked movie like Iggy created(Iggy I love you, you have mad skills ) but something that could entice people to play this mod.
Errrr.......... thanks....... I think.........
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #76
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
glad you liked it and yep, i've been making gaming videos on and off for quite a long time now. i've tried to offer my experience to help with FF many times over the years, but seem to get ignored. i guess if someone's making a video and a load of ppl offer him advice on it then it's impossible to know who to listen to and who to ignore. i've said it before, i don't mean to upset anyone, but imo all the FF videos i've seen so far (including pre-release trailers) have been very poor and have mostly damaged FF rather than help it

i nearly got around to making my own FF promo video a few times, but bailed out each time basically due to the same 2 reasons that i don't play it atm:

1) the gameplay: a generally awkward and detached feeling, nowhere near enough potential for precision with the movement skills, and nowhere near enough reward for actually being skilled and creative with the movement skills.

2) the visuals: crap animations, lots of dreary maps, and not enough clarity/visibility on gameplay important things (although there have been big improvements made on this since release, so things are moving in the right direction).

add to this the fact that i couldn't get anywhere near satisfactorarily smooth video footage out of FF demos (smoothness is rly important to me), and it just wasn't ever going to produce a top notch video. i hear many good things about the upcoming FF updates tho, so perhaps they will go some way to resolving these issues.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #77
Green Mushy
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via AIM to Green Mushy
I completely agree with everything you said.

2.1 is leaps and bounds better in the movement department. I think you took the frustration you had with FF and quit, when you should have used it as fuel to make the game better. (probably what a lot of people do)
Green Mushy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #78
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
That reminds me that the demo smoothness issue really should be a priority fix if we want to get good FF videos made.

May or may not to get to fix some of those issues for 2.1, but definitely with the OB patch.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #79
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
and the sourceTV shit thats been complained about several times (its a piece of shit in FF), that needs to be fixed too.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #80
Damascus
Comic Artist
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterschindt
NOW FIGURE A WAY TO GET GRENADES !!!! CAUSE THATS ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxqkK29Qw6M&fmt=18