Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Communities, Leagues, Clans and Guilds

Old 03-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #41
battery
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Being a noob in FF is not much different from starting a new job or joining a new sport club.

As a new hire, you lack knowledge in how things are done in your work environment. You are at a disadvantage. And if you display any noobiness, trust me, people will pick on you! Does that mean you have to suffer all these bs as a noob? Of course not! As you enter a new social environment, the first thing you do is going around to meet people. You do your best to present an excellent first impression, so people will find you likeable. (No! this is not the same of kissing butt. It's called presenting your image wisely.) Once you have befriended the right people, you can start asking noob questions. They will gladly help you out, as a friend.

The wrong thing to do is not finding associations and start asking noob questions. No one likes a loner. So whatever a loner does, justifyable or not, he will be criticised and made fun of.

There is nothing inheritantly wrong about being a noob and acting a noob. Noobs are treated in widely different manners, depending on their social skills.

FF is no exception.
________
Pov Movie

Last edited by battery; 03-31-2011 at 11:37 AM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #42
dys
I am the nip to your bud.

I've yet to be told to GTFO of any new job I've started for asking questions.
dys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #43
Klute

FF needs more players like CatzEyes93 to attract n00bs!
shes hawt!
Klute is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #44
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

You haven't had alot of jobs then lol

/sarcasm
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #45
dys

lol i try not to!

Old 03-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #46
battery
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dys
I've yet to be told to GTFO of any new job I've started for asking questions.
They don't tell you to GTFO because they are smarter than that. They just give you incomplete answers.

Also, if you work in the finance section, where competition is more cut-throat, you may observe that people have less incentives to help noobies out. They don't provide you with good information unless you start partying, drinking, playing sports with them.
________
BLOWJOB LATINA

Old 03-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #47
Mudfrog

Class/Position: D - Sniper, Demo, Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery
Being a noob in FF is not much different from starting a new job or joining a new sport club.

As a new hire, you lack knowledge in how things are done in your work environment. You are at a disadvantage. And if you display any noobiness, trust me, people will pick on you! Does that mean you have to suffer all these bs as a noob? Of course not! As you enter a new social environment, the first thing you do is going around to meet people. You do your best to present an excellent first impression, so people will find you likeable. (No! this is not the same of kissing butt. It's called presenting your image wisely.) Once you have befriended the right people, you can start asking noob questions. They will gladly help you out, as a friend.

The wrong thing to do is not finding associations and start asking noob questions. No one likes a loner. So whatever a loner does, justifyable or not, he will be criticised and made fun of.

There is nothing inheritantly wrong about being a noob and acting a noob. Noobs are treated in widely different manners, depending on their social skills.

FF is no exception.
So your saying at a new job they just place you there and people make fun of you instead of showing you the proper technique? I mean sure when your new at a job you will get picked on some but they also show you the ropes.. In FF, you join a server and learn on your own, comparing apples to oranges.
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #48
dys

The comparisons of FF and RL are just plain silly now. Dude, you're comparing working in finance to playing Fortress Forever.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #49
DarkieJ

this topic does me think of meet the f0ckers Asssssssss hooooooooooooool
DarkieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #50
Mudfrog

Class/Position: D - Sniper, Demo, Soldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by dys
The comparisons of FF and RL are just plain silly now. Dude, you're comparing working in finance to playing Fortress Forever.
Well heck.. maybe Finance is like Fortress Forever.. I need to change jobs
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #51
battery
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog
So your saying at a new job they just place you there and people make fun of you instead of showing you the proper technique? I mean sure when your new at a job you will get picked on some but they also show you the ropes.. In FF, you join a server and learn on your own, comparing apples to oranges.
If you don't handle the social aspect of things correctly, you experience as a new hire may not be as good as it can be. And yes, some "nice" coworkers will kindly show you the ropes, despite of your terrible first impression. But you will not benefit from those who are knowledgeable yet judgemental.

In FF, some people goes around help out the noobs, and showing them the basics. The "clansters" and more specialized players tend to be less generous. But still! A noob can acquire premium knowledge from those players if they apply proper social skills.
________
Reasons To Vaporize

Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #52
battery
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dys
I am not comparing finance and FF as whole. I am comparing the community aspect of the two.
________
ONE HOT TIGHT AMATEUR FUCKED

Old 03-20-2008, 07:47 PM   #53
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViLE
@elitery, elitism, & the leetz0rs
here's a solution, realize pubs are what they are.

a swarming teeming cesspool shitfest of scrubby debauchery and unskilled noobery, complete with ovo, chasing, yard pyros snipers and maybe even an SG on the bats. Just wait for the automatons to become self-aware, soon they will join our ranks of the most righteous.
So Just remember which "cesspool shitfest of scrubby debauchery and unskilled noobery" server you crawled out of. Or were you born with the leet skills that you have today?

Even you had to have somebody hold your ears and teach you how to suck your first cock? With me it was pussy.

So remember out of the noobs comes the leet. Their for if you want your type of game play to grow help the noobs. and a lot of them will find Clanestyle play more to their liking and you might be able to have a unlocked clan style server.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #54
battery
D&A Member

I am not encouraging elistism and bullying of noobs. I mean to say that members of the FF community should be allowed to "be themselves". Yes, some of us may be arrogant, some of us may be complacent, and other are just jerks. But I don't think we should make them behave in a manner that don't suite their personality. They should retain full freedom of expression.

Most noobs are capable of acquiring fun and help, despite the elistism in FF community. They hav learn that social skills in real life. They are well-equiped to get the most out of the arrogant bastards in FF.
________
Rhode island medical marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by battery; 03-31-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #55
Mrboom

Class/Position: Demo O and D
Gametype: Pub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Alphalpha. Why? Hilarity. His voice changer or whatever with his wit and asshole tendencies are fantastic.
I played with him the other day one on one.. He asked me if I was new and I informed him that I was. He was then pretty nice.. Tried to give me a few tips and offered encouragement. Maybe he had just gotten some loving but I had zero issues out of him

Ive NEVER been a gamer.. This is my first FPS game.. I grew up playing college football on Nintendo and Ages of Empires on the PC.. Thats it..

I consider myself decent and nothing more. When it comes to helping out another person I will be more then willing to do so.. It could be as easy as showing them where the cap point is.

Last edited by Mrboom; 03-20-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Mrboom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #56
tu!

If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen!
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #57
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Fortress Forever is my TFC:S. TF2 did not deliver, and while there might be some gameplay changes in FF that differ from TFC, I feel it's pretty much the same style of gameplay in general. Anyone who disagrees can suck my penis.

Now that I've got that out of the way, onto the newbs, 31337ists, and n00bs.

There will always be new people who play this game. Always. I see at least 1 or 2 'WhenFFWillOut' people every single day, and either they're the same 2 people, or FF is constantly being checked by people who are trying the game out. And honestly, I don't blame half the people who decide not to play it anymore, because everyone has different tastes.

When someone mentions that they're new, I usually break out my ff helper tag and help them learn the game, or say, if you have any questions about FF, I can help you get started. There is a steep learning curve for new people.

I'd much rather take someone who has an attention span of a dead cow and teach them how to play than hope some ole TFC folks decide to pick up FF and play it.

Everyone was a newb at some point in their life, so Vicious is right about that and people will come and go because of this. The best thing the devs for FF can do is not to try to make the game easier to play, but moreso easier to learn, which is why we need to release some training maps, or make use of that new annoucements pop up in FF to tell people where to go to get help in game.

Most of the people I meet who play FF are kind and cool people, and while there might be a few assholes in the bunch, I personally believe the good people are very quick to PWN the asshole either by having admin and banning that fucker or by letting them have it by way of verbal abuse/kicking their ass in game. Either way, assholes are not that big of a deal.

I don't need FF devs to handle assholes on my server. I can handle them myself. But what happens when noone is there to prevent these assholes from causing chaos and mayhem? Nothing, right? Well, just because someone is new to a game, doesn't mean they lack common fucking sense. I'm sure at least 75% of the people who are new who get made fun of or laughed at by assholes don't take it personally, and those who do simply need to have their heads examined.

Onto elitists, I hate that word, because it makes it sound so vulgar/bad. Just think of it this way, the better you are at a game, the less of a real life you have. So if someone is really good, or acting like it, they must have no life at all, plus an ego the size of my nutsack(it's pretty huge).

This game isn't made of elitists, it's made of people who are willing to learn a game, dedicate some time into getting halfway good, and just playing the game. Many different reasons to play it, but you probably won't find many 1337 people in pubs, they have their own hide-out and that is in leagues/pickups.

I'd much rather run a pub and simply have fun. This is the first league(in any game) ive been in, and I'm doing it mostly to help draw attention to people who don't take this game seriously.

Anyway, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, the best way to get an asston more people is to get this shit listed in the Steam store and advertise the hell out of it. Maybe throw a new web site design in there and training maps.

DEVS: Stop fucking worrying about the assholes in these servers. They will be dealt with by the server admins.

Work on advertising the game and focus on the positive and forward movement of the game instead.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 01:54 AM   #58
battery
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
I don't need FF devs to handle assholes on my server. I can handle them myself. But what happens when noone is there to prevent these assholes from causing chaos and mayhem? Nothing, right? Well, just because someone is new to a game, doesn't mean they lack common fucking sense. I'm sure at least 75% of the people who are new who get made fun of or laughed at by assholes don't take it personally, and those who do simply need to have their heads examined.
I agree completely! Just because someone is new to FF, he is not a newbie to society. Just help out as much as you wish, or taunt at them as much as you want. Just Relax! Be yourself. As much as they can appreciate your helpfulness, they can handle your arrogance. Remember, when it comes to people's skill, we are not necessary more experienced than the newbies. So don't try to become an "elitist" in dictating the social environment in FF.
________
Granny Mature

Last edited by battery; 03-31-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #59
myersjr

Quote:
I agree completely! Just because someone is new to FF, he is not a newbie to society. Just help out as much as you wish, or taunt at them as much as you want. Just Relax! Be yourself. As much as they can appreciate your helpfulness, they can handle your arrogance. Remember, when it comes to people's skill, we are not necessary more experienced than the newbies. So don't try to become an "elitist" in dictating the social environment in FF.

I completely agree, if we all want this community to grow, we gotta treat people better. Of course, i can only speak from my personal experience, most of the folks that i met have been pretty cool. There have been some dudes or chicks that i didnt care for because of the crap they were spewing from their piehole but, i like the game so i dealt. You will always have these individuals on servers and to quote Skanky's sig..

"That one goes without saying"
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #60
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Quote:

FF is no exception.
*stamp*

[SEAL OF INTELLINGENCE AND APPROVAL]
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote