Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
tantrum

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Unable to draw object/create anything in hammer

So I just setup hammer (according to various tutorials scattered about these forums and the FF wiki) - it was pretty straight forward, and I remembered a lot of it compared to when I used to use hammer back in 2002-2006.

However, upon loading and starting a new project, I have some weird obscure non-grid like "grid lines", where I'm kind of unable to do anything at all (and I'm having a real bitch of a time attaching a picture into this thread at the moment)

Pretty much, I can't even draw a yellow wirebox (as in selecting an area), and I can't select the "create object" tool and proceed to create a white wireframe box

If anybody could offer any advice, or would like to see things from my point of view, kindly leave a reply at your convenience.

Thanks for the help guys!
tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Alot of people have been having this problem. I did at first, and I can't for the life of me remember how to fix it.

Did you set it up with the 2006 sdk, and have you launched FF since you set up hammer? Also when setting up hammer did you follow the method in the post I linked in your other thread?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
tantrum

FDA,

I had to set it up with the 2009 engine I believe based on certain options that were/weren't available in various steps of the various tutorials (I wish I could hit a huge "UNDO" and undo everything I did thus far)

I went and did what you mentioned in the other thread regarding gameinfo.txt, and hammer has not behaved any nicer since - and as for your other question, I have not launched FF yet...I'm kind of just completely stymied at this point, lol

Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Ok, well 2009 will not work. If you've done what that post specified (don't forget in that gameinfo.txt you have to change "yournamehere" to you steam account, and also if you use \Program Files (x86)\ over \Program Files, you will need to change that as well in gameinfo.txt)

If you've done all that, launch FF one time and load up a map, any map. Then exit and try launching sdk again, this time with 2006 and FF selected.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
tantrum

"The configuration information for the game you're trying to edit is invalid or missing" is the error i'm receiving now (2006 selected, and Fortress Forever selected when SDK is launched)

Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
tantrum

FDA, please leave your paypal account info below...I'll send over 20$ ASAP

The C:\Program Files (x86) string in the gameinfo.txt file was the key (I suspect)...got my grid lines!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
tantrum

However, I can create objects, but I'm dead in the top left camera view (even with 3D Textured selected)

I've created something and attempted to texture it, I hover over the camera box, hit "Z" to toggle, and then try to move around with WASD but I see nothing at all in the void...unless I'm missing something simple, or there's just another thing that I forgot to do

Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
To fix the perspective viewport, go to Tools -> Center 3D View on Selection. I think it's Tools. Just find Center 3D View on Selection in one of the menus. I have to do it every time I open hammer or the 3D view will just be blank forever.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 03-21-2013 at 10:32 PM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
tantrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
To fix the perspective viewport, go to Tools -> Center 3D View on Selection. I think it's Tools. Just find Center 3D View on Selection in one of the menus. I have to do it every time I open hammer or the 3D view will just be blank forever.
That did it - Thanks a lot squeak!