Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 12-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
o_stino

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
EP2 content common error

Found a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges. (vbsp.exe crashes also).

maybe for americans/british people its self explaining, but i don't know what abutting means.

so i dont know why or what this is but i do know that i was trying something dangerous: i was trying to create EP2 like terrain, the whole grid in hammer covered with displacement surfaces , trying how this affects fps in source. but since i cant compile, i cant test it.

and ... big surprise: i dont get it again only the first compile, weird.

now its different, but more likely: Error! Too many detail props emitted on this map!

another one, why is vis taking so long to calculate how 1 big area can be split up into visgroups its juist a huge cordon compile box, so it whould be better to not calculate vis on this map and only use LOD and OCCLUSION

and another one: the game crashes with the same error as with badlands? so it seams that there is a limit at displacements in source?
i have now 196 (also tested with 169,144,100,9,1,0!!!!!!) square solids with one face being displacement with power 4, and it still keeps crashing.

wow, never tought i won't be able to make source maps anymore.

even an empty map, only player start entity > crash

Last edited by o_stino; 12-29-2006 at 06:18 PM.
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 01:02 AM   #2
o_bumgravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stino
Found a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges. (vbsp.exe crashes also).

maybe for americans/british people its self explaining, but i don't know what abutting means.
Does this mean you need to sew some displacements up? Seems strange...
Quote:
so i dont know why or what this is but i do know that i was trying something dangerous: i was trying to create EP2 like terrain, the whole grid in hammer covered with displacement surfaces , trying how this affects fps in source. but since i cant compile, i cant test it.

and ... big surprise: i dont get it again only the first compile, weird.

now its different, but more likely: Error! Too many detail props emitted on this map!
This might just be because you have so many displacements that have grass sprites growing from them or something?
Quote:
another one, why is vis taking so long to calculate how 1 big area can be split up into visgroups its juist a huge cordon compile box, so it whould be better to not calculate vis on this map and only use LOD and OCCLUSION
this is because youre taking up the entire Hammer grid space. VIS still splits blocks every so many units, I cant remember the amount. Anyway, try using fog and lowering the Z-cliping plane so its not drawing everything all the time.
Quote:
and another one: the game crashes with the same error as with badlands? so it seams that there is a limit at displacements in source?
i have now 196 (also tested with 169,144,100,9,1,0!!!!!!) square solids with one face being displacement with power 4, and it still keeps crashing.
Cant remember the exact figure, but yes theres a limit on how many displacements you have. Its not in "Map Info" (though it should be) It tells you in your compile log how many displacements you have and what percentage that is of total alloted displacements.
Quote:
wow, never tought i won't be able to make source maps anymore.

even an empty map, only player start entity > crash
Youve got something wrong with your setup. When was the last time you could compile? If an empty map with just a player start wont let you run, theres something wrong with your setup.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumGravy
Youve got something wrong with your setup. When was the last time you could compile? If an empty map with just a player start wont let you run, theres something wrong with your setup.
definatly, but what? it's just the default hl2dm setup.
i'm getting very angry at steam if even their default setup is not correct

what the hell? does it depends on what is in your map when compiling even if he doesn't have to compile it?

my test with displacements cant run afther compiling, even if there is nothing checked in the vis groups, but if i make another empty map it compiles and runs and i spawn in the origin, weird

Last edited by o_stino; 12-30-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
o_nezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumGravy
VIS still splits blocks every so many units, I cant remember the amount.
Faces get split every time a texture repeats. So scaling the texture up should help.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2007, 02:22 AM   #5
o_mikequist

Just...you know...skip the Vis lol. You could do it in HL. You just got fps like shiot and could see through sky, etc. to other parts of the map.
o_mikequist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
o_stino

since it's outdoor you cant see trough sky and (almost) everything is made of displacements, so why whould you do vis