CatzEyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times

Animations could use more work, the ship disappearing and THEN exploding is far from appealing. I know it's a mod, but for a trailer release, I'd expect something more.

And why is it always Marines? Australian SAS is much more hardcore.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
SSCUJO

i played a very early beta of it along time ago, it was actually really fun, there were some hit box issues back then but other than that that game was lots of fun, well balanced, and great spawn points for some really good battles. lots of places to take cover and lots of things to do.

i might reinstall it and give the finished version a try.
SSCUJO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
their running animations look worse than FF's...
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

I try not to judge a game from its graphics, but when the graphics clash so terribly, it's hard to get over it, so I doubt I'll try it. And that goes along a bit with what Skanky said.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:02 AM   #6
SSCUJO

... hmm kinda goes along the lines of people not playing FF becasue tf2 'looks' better, even though FF makes a strong argument for better game play...

Old 06-01-2008, 05:25 AM   #7
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Sorry, but my eyes burn from the immensely poor animations. A ship shouldn't disappear, THEN explode into metal gibs THAT slowly, nor should the run animations look like they're from a Freshmen college student. Like I said, the animations and such clash with the better graphics of it. That's too much for me. Give me all shit graphics or all good, but not that.

And FF and TF2's gameplay are both very different. If anything, TF2's is cleaner due to no nades. And I'm still replaying Deus Ex.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
SSCUJO

the fact that you play deus ex still, means that you would understand that gameplay has higher value over graphics.

of course not everyone sees it that way, many feel that animation inprefections, and a poor color scheme have alot to do with the game... i guess thats why FF has so few players.

and we all know how easy it is to get a decent animator thats willing to work for free right? i mean its not that hard.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

dont hurt yourself defending the mod there, cujo. the trailer was long and moved so slowly that it completely failed to capture my attention. it did nothing to make me think "hey, i want to play this game." nothing about it stood out at all in a good way. and since almost a minute of the trailer was completely focused on people running, it forced me to nitpick the running animations.

maybe the gameplay is awesome (and i agree that is what is most important), but the trailer certainly failed to show that.

if youre going to argue that gameplay is more important than graphics, maybe you can tell us why it is unique and worth playing instead of any other FPS. because right now all i see is a generic sci fi shooter with crappy animations.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #10
SSCUJO

I gave a quick run through in the third post of this thread. theres alot more if you look past the trailer.

You also need to understand that im not defending this game as much as im trying to show that what people are saying in this thread about ES is what everyone else is saying about FF.

if you give the game a shot you'll like it, atleast i did.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:29 AM   #11
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
The problem with ES and FF is that their trailers didn't show worthwhile shit.

This trailer sucks.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCUJO
the fact that you play deus ex still, means that you would understand that gameplay has higher value over graphics.

of course not everyone sees it that way, many feel that animation inprefections, and a poor color scheme have alot to do with the game... i guess thats why FF has so few players.

and we all know how easy it is to get a decent animator thats willing to work for free right? i mean its not that hard.
Deus Ex has generally outdated graphics. Great textures and models with terrible animation is something I personally can't get past.

And like Skanky and Circ said, the trailer does nothing to capture my attention. It's slow, has too much of a focus on stuff that needs work badly, and just simply doesn't capture one's attention. That's the goal of a trailer, to generate excitement or attention for something. This trailer failed. The only reason I played FF was because it was a fortress mod, not because of the media, which sucked.

PS FF was put off for nine months because of both Jiggles getting pregnant, and because it simply wasn't ready. Releasing a trailer of a game not ready to even be presented does nothing. Refer to Mulchman's blog post about that.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:33 AM   #13
SSCUJO

i don't think you guys see the point im trying to make so im just going to stop.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:49 AM   #14
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Our point: It's a bad trailer.

Your point: You gotta look past the trailer to see the good gameplay.

Our point: Why didn't they just show the good gameplay instead of being boring and looking awful.

Your point: You gotta look past that.

Our point: Why would we want to?

Your point: You gotta.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:09 AM   #15
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Exactly, Circ. If I'm going to view a trailer for something I've never heard of before, it'd better sell itself to me pretty damn well. Seeing a poorly done, slow paced space marine video doesn't sell well.

Yes, I do believe that graphics can help show how serious developers are about a game. This is a prime example. There was tons of potential there, but some of it was half-assed. If they half-assed a selling point, I doubt they care about the casual gamer as much as they care about the dedicated ones, which tends to result in failure.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
SSCUJO

yea... point missed

Old 06-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #17
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Looks kinda fun, not really my thing. The whole blowing space ships up gets old for me after a while.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

cujo what is so special about the fucking gameplay to make this game worth playing? and "lots of fun, well balanced, and great spawn points for some really good battles. lots of places to take cover and lots of things to do" doesnt tell us shit. is it class based? is it innovative in any way? what are the things to do? from the trailer and your description, it looks like a badly animated sci fi Battlefield. in other words, generic and boring. i understand your point completely, that we shouldnt be judging the game based on its graphics and that gameplay is more important, but what i want to know is what is so great about the gameplay that will make us able to overlook the shitty animations? if the gameplay is so great, that shouldnt be a hard question to answer. ill do it for FF.

its fast paced and chaotic and the class system promotes all different types of play for different types of people. those who want to move fast can choose scout and utilize jump pads and conc grenades to go flying across the map at mach speeds. people who like being stealthy can choose spy and use the cloak and disguises to outsmart the enemy team. if you just want to blow shit up, you can be a demoman who has an array of bombs and explosives to attack enemy defenses or set up your own defense. if you like to defend strategically you can use the engineer to plan out where the enemy will attack from and decide the best position to build a sentry gun, a turret that will automatically lock on and destroy any enemies it sees (but be careful, because crafty spies can turn that sentrygun against your team if you leave it unattended for too long). etc...

Old 06-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #19
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Quote:
yea... point missed
Perhaps you should try explaining why I missed your point, because I took your point as I saw it, and explained why your point has jack shit on my point. Or you could use my favorite cop-out about the other person not getting your point at all, and that they need to re-read your post, which I only use when someone has the reading comprehension of a monkey, or I run out of arguments.

Now, according to the standardized test I took last week, I'm currently where I should be for reading comprehension, so I'm going to assume the latter, which is that you have no real defense for this game other than "You shouldn't be thinking about graphics!" Perhaps I should use an analogy to explain WHY I think the current state of graphics, specifically animation, display an attitude among the dev team that really doesn't do much for me.

Let's say I have a motorcycle. It runs pretty well, does great at the track. But it's ducktaped together and made out of 2x4s. This tells me that the person who built it didn't care about most riders, he only cared about the extremists who would take the beast and use it for its power. He has a very small market and he wants to stick with that. What this mod team has done, is they've taken that motorcycle to a dealership to try to convince people who havn't tried that specific brand of motorcycles to give it a run, and now you're the guy up on the showfloor trying to defend it after it gets a negative reaction from the crowd. All along, what you could have done was get some fiberglass and aluminum, and put a bit of effort into it, and then you'd do a lot better with selling the bike.

I don't judge games solely on graphics. But like I tried explaining before, a CLASH in the potential of them and the delivery is something that keeps me from playing them. All around basic graphics like Deus Ex, the example I used, are fine, as they were used to a pretty damned full extent for the time. I refuse to even look at Half-Life: Source, because Valve didn't do anything to bring the graphics up to par with the Source engine.

Like I tried telling you before, good gameplay is what sells a game to me. I played Thang Online and WoW more than any other game because the gameplay was better than the others I tried. Same with Deus Ex. But when a half-assed trailer is put out with the first two minutes showing off nothing but graphics, I expect very little from the rest of the mod, for reasons I've already explained, though it seems you can't comprehend. But I'm starting to sound like a broken record, and all you're going to do is retort with "You've missed my point."

Last edited by zSilver_Fox; 06-03-2008 at 06:25 AM.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #20
SSCUJO

Quote:
... hmm kinda goes along the lines of people not playing FF becasue tf2 'looks' better, even though FF makes a strong argument for better game play...
Quote:

Quote:
I gave a quick run through in the third post of this thread. theres alot more if you look past the trailer.

You also need to understand that im not defending this game as much as im trying to show that what people are saying in this thread about ES is what everyone else is saying about FF.

if you give the game a shot you'll like it, atleast i did.