Old 11-11-2007, 02:35 AM   #141
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Class/Position: Sniper, Defensive
Gametype: Capture Point
Affiliations: Unguilded
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to Thor-Stryker Send a message via Yahoo to Thor-Stryker
It was taken out for a reason in TF2, it discourages team-work. Medics are an offensive class in FF, if you get infected on D, your out of luck. Its bad enough all a medic has to do is TOUCH you to kill you. A spy at least has to get behind you.

If chained-infections gets put back in game. Then chained-backstabs should be put in game as well, same effect, you just don't have to press your "kill" button. Think about it, all that work stealthing behind enemy lines, waiting for the perfect moment, and you stab! Then four of their players fall dead!
If only the medic was that great.

......Oh wait, he was, and all he had to do was touch you.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:51 AM   #142
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
How does spreading infection discourage teamwork? Hell, if you give a shit about your team....you will avoid them at all costs.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 11-11-2007, 03:27 AM   #143
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Class/Position: Sniper, Defensive
Gametype: Capture Point
Affiliations: Unguilded
Send a message via AIM to Thor-Stryker Send a message via Yahoo to Thor-Stryker
Because usually team-work means going down tight-corridors to assist your team, and if you can't go down that corridor because you'll infect your team-mates, you can no longer be on a team.

But if your want to be completely blind to the fact of how over-powered infect was, you can call it Team-Suicide.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #144
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

Infect spreading was never overpowered, it just became a problem when infected people started hugging the respawn and passed it on to their spawning team mates. That's why it was removed, not because it unbalanced the game or discouraged teamwork.

PS. Comparing infection spread to the backstab is ridiculous and anyone in his right mind will see that.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #145
Saint Thoth

Besides, it encourages teamwork, cuz if your team is being hampered by infections, then it encourages someone on your team to do something about it. If no one does, your team has no teamwork, and thus, fail as they should.

But yeah, just make it so people can’t pick up medical supplies while infected, and you end the problem with people running to spawns without removing a critical long-standing game play aspect.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #146
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Stryker
Medics are an offensive class in FF, if you get infected on D, your out of luck.
Medics can play wherever they damned well please--I'm absoloutely sick of being told that I can't play Medic D.

All classes in Fortress are about playing where you're fit to play. Medics have the ability to play a sort of mid-fielder, and this enables them to support either their offense or their defense, depending on who needs it (that is, depending on who is infected.)

The power of infection spreading depends on the number of people on a team; in huge clusterfuck 10v10 pub servers, infection has way too much power. In 5v5 clan scrims, though, it's just another neat little challenge.

Make it a sv_cvar, default it to "off."

-Joker

Old 11-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #147
Meathook

Send a message via AIM to Meathook Send a message via MSN to Meathook
too much reading...

"they made it simple and removed the underlying problem."

arent the underlying problems

1) infected teammates that grief their own team. (which can be solved in many other ways already suggested)

2) friendly medics too busy doing the scouts job to heal their teammates.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #148
GhOsT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
How does spreading infection discourage teamwork? Hell, if you give a shit about your team....you will avoid them at all costs.
In an interview Robin Walker said they took all infection out of TF2 since they are trying to get people to work together and having a situation where you are supposed to stay away from teammates is counter-productive.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #149
Saint Thoth

Yes, let’s do that, let’s go the TF2 route and just remove all the major aspects of TF.

Besides, in the video interview I saw with him, he said they designed the medic to create a bond between two players.

Granted, in reality, it’s just one medic constantly trying to get Uber, and being basically ignored by the rest of his team who pay no attention to where he actually is – but at least he gets to “feel” like he’s doing teamwork.

Suffice to say I don't want to go the dark, bleak path of TF2 where we start removing critical team-play aspects on the basis that they can "annoy" some players. We lose grenades, player boosting, and devolve into a pointless mod real fast that way, given that well, someone already took that dark, bleak path.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #150
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathook
too much reading...
If you don't like reading, get off the forums..reading other people's arguments is just as important as writing your own.

Quote:
True, but still not completely true. Consider again the nice small scrimmage games I was talking about: I play this way as often as I can, because it also facilitates communication as well as organization. As medic I'm usually up on offense breaking enemy defense so that somebody can get to the flag, but I still really like hearing somebody on my team ask for Medic, for whatever reason, because backing up to go heal/cure them is a nice little token of teamwork.

Maybe that's just my attitude, but I doubt that you'll find any Medic players thinking "Hell no am I gonna go help my teammates out, I wanna get to the flag!"
Maybe this is because anyone who does think that is already playing Scout, where they should be.

-Joker

Old 11-12-2007, 02:53 AM   #151
Meathook

"Maybe this is because anyone who does think that is already playing Scout, where they should be."

Ha.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:52 AM   #152
BewareOfButtlice

now what comes to hand is people hiding in the spawn and stealing the med packs when they spawn.

Both having spreading and not having it has its ups and downs. Having it means that you get n00bz that run around infecting your team by not watching where they are going or intentional infections. Without it, it means that people will stay in spawn and take the packs to piss everyone off. One way or the other, its bound to get some ppl pissed off.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:12 AM   #153
GhOsT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Thoth
Yes, let’s do that, let’s go the TF2 route and just remove all the major aspects of TF.

Besides, in the video interview I saw with him, he said they designed the medic to create a bond between two players.

Granted, in reality, it’s just one medic constantly trying to get Uber, and being basically ignored by the rest of his team who pay no attention to where he actually is – but at least he gets to “feel” like he’s doing teamwork.

Suffice to say I don't want to go the dark, bleak path of TF2 where we start removing critical team-play aspects on the basis that they can "annoy" some players. We lose grenades, player boosting, and devolve into a pointless mod real fast that way, given that well, someone already took that dark, bleak path.
Did I say FF had to do that? No. I was just answering the question. Also, TF2 has no infection at all. At least right now FF still has infection.

You all don't have to get all defensive every time TF2 is mentioned on these boards.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:38 AM   #154
nobuyuki

good news, everyone, the medic's infection no longer spreads!

Now, all the developers have to do is take away conc jumping and the class will be properly nerfed

Old 11-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #155
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuyuki
Now, all the developers have to do is take away conc jumping and the class will be properly nerfed
And thus there will be no class which is strong enough to survive inital enemy defense, but also still fast enough to get in and work at breaking up stronger defense; Scouts will be piled dead just inside the enemy fortress, and Soldiers will be stuck fighting through enemies which constantly pursue them.

Subsequently, the community will likely begin to call this game

"Stalemate-Forever"

Medics are not overpowered. Medics have their places, just like every other class.

-Joker

Old 11-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #156
Meathook

Medics arent over powered but snipers are.... what a joke.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #157
barronofhellion

Quote:

could not have said it better myself

Old 11-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #158
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

The scout's job is to take out flag room defence such as enemy Sentryguns?

Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #159
barronofhellion

yes, and any such task to reach the goal and back... hell i got infected the other night and didn't die for at least 5+ minutes because i just kept going back and geting health...

Old 11-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #160
Saint Thoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuyuki
good news, everyone, the medic's infection no longer spreads!

I thought he was being sarcastic, as the inevitable next step.

There's just no reason to heal infected folks anymore. Even with sutained front lines, I find myself healing infected people last, if I think someone else is more important (ie. almost always). Medics pass my infected ass up all the time, there's just no motivation to even take the time to pause and cure people - they aren't a threat.

Closed Thread