Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #21
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I've actually paid for the game, I bought the package at the store, just to unlock the majority of basic champs along with a few skins.

If I remember correctly, I got the Winter Games - Anivia, and Snowbunny Nidalee

Oh, and there's no way they could tell if I'm a paying customer or not at this point of failure, as it's just the patcher, and I don't even get close to the login screen.

Last edited by Hammock; 03-02-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #22
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery View Post
For some reason it is impossible to download an up-to-date version directly from their website. You have to obtain and install an outdated version, and then let the patcher incrementally download and apply each individual update. Sometimes patcher fails and the process gets stuck in a loop.

I see this as some kind of deliberate mechanism to kick out some of the non-paying members. Their server is already overloaded. It is imperative to make the paying customers happy, so they have to remove the non-paying guys. Well, people who pay tend to be in the game every day or every week. They don't miss more than 2 patches in a row...But of course the non-paying customers may eventually buy Riot points. Not a good idea.
I hate doing this, but you have no idea what you are talking about. There is no "buying the game." You can unlock characters or packs, but there is no paying vs no paying customer. As for the patched... it does have issues. The biggest problem I had was using an old downloaded and installer. Try removing any old version of the game. Then remove the downloaded and installer. Then start all over by re-downloading the downloaded and then installing.

After 3 hours I did manage to fix this issue.

I actually had a similar issue tonight where while I was updating, I couldn't load into a game because the server thought I was out of date. It required me manually editing my version number and forcing the game to re-update.

As for "paying customers" not missing a patch... There is a large patch ever two weeks with minor updates in between. I know MANY people who play the game often who miss several updates for any number of reasons.

I know that when most people see a game with free and pay play, they think it's a trap... with LoL it really is not. There are no serous advantages for paying for things within the game. The only minor thing would be the ability to buy XP and IP boosts so that you can gain XP and IP faster. While it's slightly faster, you still need a play a fair amount of games to gain those resources. Trust me when I say that there are great players who pay and great players that don't. I for one enjoy the game so spending $20 on it is the least I can do to support the developers.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #23
Hammock
D&A Member

Those were my sentiments as well, I didn't mind spending a 1 time fee to play the game as it was a very well done game, and Mooga's right there's absolutely no game play benefit to spending money or not.

Although my thoughts are different about spending money. I honestly never cared about XP or IP boosts, as it was fairly quick to level up to 30 and to gain enough IP to unlock any champ I felt like playing, I knew I would never play most of the champs so I didn't need them all. Plus they have a free weekly rotation so you can play any champ if you want, just have to wait awhile until it's up in the rotation.

The only reason for me to spend any money in the game is to get the new skins for champs, and that's soley for differentiating yourself from other players. Offers different eye candy in game for everyone in that round.

Thanks for the Advice Mooga, I'll try redownloading the latest installer, as I believe I'm using the original release installer.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #24
battery
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Why of course there are benefits in paying!

You can invest all your Influence Points on runes, while affording champions with hard, cold cash.

You know you are supposed to pick your rune page according to what opponents you are facing, right? It is usually not optimal to have only one set of runes, or one single strategy with your main champion. To be flexible, you really need lots of Tier 3 runes.

Unless, of course, you have already owned all runes. In such case, my advice to you is to get a real life

The patching mechanism is plain stupid. If I need to install the game and download the latest patcher from the website, why can't I just get the full up-to-date version? Are they really so lazy that they won't re-compile the installer after an update? So I need to hack the patcher just to get more patches? What is Riot thinking? We don't need to look further than Fortress Forever for an example of how it can be done right.

$20 sounds about right for a game in beta stage, such as LoL. No more than that. I will pay them $3 more if they set up a decent server.

Last edited by battery; 03-05-2011 at 04:22 AM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #25
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Why of course there are benefits in paying!

You can invest all your Influence Points on runes, while affording champions with hard, cold cash.

You know you are supposed to pick your rune page according to what opponents you are facing, right? It is usually not optimal to have only one set of runes, or one single strategy with your main champion. To be flexible, you really need lots of Tier 3 runes.
Myself and many others play the game without spending any money. A casual player such as myself can gain enough IP in two or three weeks to buy the most expensive champ. That means that technically you could buy every new champ that comes out. Rune wise, you can normally survive with one or two pages with similar runes. For example, Flat CDR runes are expensive, but are useful with nearly every champ. I also have Attack Speed runes I use in both my pages because more of the champs I play can use it if they are DPS or not. I then have Mana Regen per Level for my casters and Dodge for my tanks.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #26
battery
D&A Member

Don't forget to grab 3x Greater Quintessence of Fortitude. Expensive as hell but starting the game with 76 extra health can easily bag you a first blood.

Last edited by battery; 03-07-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #27
Hammock
D&A Member

Again I agree with Mooga, you don't need to buy every rune out there. I currently have 3 rune pages, AP, AD, and Tank, apparently somewhere down the road they gave out a free rune page, so I have a 4th I'm not even sure what to do with. Probably going to be an alternate AP page of some kind, as those are the kind of champs I play mainly.

I played when the game was first released to the public and during that time it was like a 2 month period where every champ at the time was unlocked. So I didn't need to spend any IP on any champs. So I was able to find out what champs I liked, save up for them at the end of the 2 month period, and just spend my IP on runes in the mean time.

The only time runes become expensive is if you jump from completely different types of champs, but if you like tanking and buy nothing but tank runes, those runes will for the most part be good for any tank.

Oh and Mooga's suggestion worked, I downloaded the latest installer, and the game installed and patched fine. I think one reason they don't make a new installer after every patch is because there's a lot of patches. Yes FF is a great example, FF makes a new installer after every patch because they only release a patch once a year or so. So it's worth the time to make one. But to recompile one every 1-2 weeks is insane.

BTW I've played a few games since I got back into it, and i'm loving this Karma chick, very fun play style.

Last edited by Hammock; 03-07-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #28
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Don't forget to grab 3x Greater Quintessence of Fortitude. Expensive as hell but starting the game with 76 extra health can easily bag you a first blood.
I forgot to mention that I have those too.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #29
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Buy T1 runes as you get levels (they're incredibly efficient for their cost), skip T2 runes but keep buying T1 runes for the slots, then cry when you have to buy two or three sets of runes at level 20. Plus some champions, too.

Definitely need Apen reds, Mpen reds if you play casters. Mp5pl Yellows, and Mp5pl blues or CDR or MR blues. Quints should be either HP or Movespeed to start. Eventually you'll branch out, say getting a jungler runepage (aspd/armor/cdr or mp5pl/hp) or a manaless champ runepage, but just a simple AD page and AP page works wonders until you start getting super competitve. It'll cost about 10k IP when you hit 20, plus some each level after, but you can definitely have that much by level 20.

also tiamat ezreal new OP
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #30
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I didn't buy runes until I hit 20 and just got T3 runes.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #31
battery
D&A Member

Have you notice people are very inclined to surrender right after the 25 min mark? I wonder this has to do with that way IP is rewarded now: You get paid IP mainly based on duration of the game, instead of the outcome.

Last edited by battery; 03-09-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #32
Hammock
D&A Member

I was a little irked to find out it was 25 minutes, it used to be 15 minutes. Tried to surrender in a game where my team was just fail. At the 15 minute mark it was like 19 - 2 kills with no signs of a comeback at all.

To surrender just to end the game for IP would be just retarded

Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #33
R00Kie
Kawaii! ルーキー
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Random
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: BiG, Kawaii!, MustacheBrigade, GoodFellas
Posts Rated Helpful 82 Times
It's 20 minutes for 5's and 15 minutes for 3's.
R00Kie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #34
Raynian
D&A Member

And the recent nerf to IP gains sucks a huge load of cock. About 25-40 less IP per game...they want people to spend more money on the game, obviously. But it seems unfair, since there are so many champions, and you can't just buy a handful of champs and use them for life - the metagame is always shifting, and champs are constantly getting buffed/nerfed.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves

Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #35
battery
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
And the recent nerf to IP gains sucks a huge load of cock. About 25-40 less IP per game...they want people to spend more money on the game, obviously. But it seems unfair, since there are so many champions, and you can't just buy a handful of champs and use them for life - the metagame is always shifting, and champs are constantly getting buffed/nerfed.
I do notice a pattern. A champion goes through some kind of a life cycle:

1) Debut: Usually grossly overpowered.
2) 3rd week: OP abilities adjusted downward.
3) Mature: slight nerfs over a long time.
4) Decline: champion is no longer competitive or viable. The lack of buffs becomes the reason why the champion gets outclassed by the new champions.

Take Ashe for example. She was quite scary 1.5 year ago. Over time, her Volley range and number of arrows got reduced, her Frost Arrow yield less and less slowness, and her Enchanted Arrow stuns less and less at close range. Even then, she was playable. As more and more heroes shrug away slows, and more and more heroes possess dashing abilities that ignore slows, Ashe became less competitive. The final nail in the coffin is the new hero Caitlyn. She outranges Ashe, significantly less squishy, faster base movement speed. Why play Ashe anymore?

Twitch, one of the most expensive champion, has gone through a drama. If you pick Twitch in ranked game your teammates will probably just leave. Just as you think Riot can't possibly nerf Twitch further than his current state...there are words that Twitch's Expunge ability will be nerfed in the next patch or two. Talking about "reminding" people to buy new champions.

I can understand Riot's business model. If player are able to stick to a few champions forever, the company will just go out of business.

Last edited by battery; 03-10-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #36
Raynian
D&A Member

Uh...Ashe is actually one of the top carries, with Caitlyn being one of the worst.

Ashe has THE best initiation skill of any ranged carry in the game. Arrow their carry, and your team can dive in while they're stunned. Her slow might not seem like much, but if you catch someone out of position and you have an advantage, there's a huge chance you'll get a kill. Add in hawkshot giving you free vision fairly often and volley also being used to poke/facecheck bushes, and you get a relatively good skill kit, even if it doesn't look like much.

Caitlyn doesn't have that constant slow, her snare isn't that reliable (or good), and her net is...only good for running away, and even then it's just barely better than walking away in most cases. Her ult, though better than it was at release, is basically just a poor version of lux or karth ults. Yes, she harasses like a mofo in the lane phase, but she falls off dramatically late game.

But you are right with riot's general champion cycle. Kogmaw, XZ, and Sona were retarded...although nobody even remembers failures like Cass, or until recently Urgot and Swain (and only because they recently grossly buffed them).

And hahaha twitch man nobody liked him anyway. Nobody likes playing against stealth champions in the first place. hurrdurr give eve 10 kills in 15 minutes (POST nerf even, teammates can be so retarded). It'd be nice if all stealth champs worked more like shaco - short stealth duration, but better "burst" for coming out of stealth. Say give Eve another .5s on her stun, twitch a bit more ASPD, but cut the stealth duration to, oh, 10/15/20/25/30 with 15s cooldown.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #37
Hammock
D&A Member

Ashe was the most noob friendly champ out there just because none of her skills except her ult (at long distances) took any sort of skill whatsoever.

I sort of like her where she's at right now though, extremely usefull in the right hands, but not ridiculously easy to play by anybody.

I somewhat agree with your assessment, to a point though I do have a different thoughts though.

Way back when the first new champs were released yes they were grossley OP, but riot got better at releasing champs, even tending to release them under powered.

New champs tend to be thought of as OP because nobody knows anything about countering them, especially if there's something really unique about them, so ya the first week of play can be annoying to play against them no matter if they're under powered or over powered. But ya there are times where a certain ability of a champ can be game breaking upon first release.

I don't believe the champ becomes uncompetitive, or unviable either. I believe the champion becomes only truly usefull in the right hands after all the tweaking is done. When the champ goes through the OP stage it becomes the new flavor of the week cause all the lazy people(the majority of the masses) just enjoy owning with the OP champ, then it becomes balanced so then all of a sudden the majority of the people just suck with the champ, so then it's believed that the champ is unviable, when really it's just all the lazy people giving up on the current flavor because it now takes skill to be awesome at.

Take Eve for example, tons of people call her completely useless, but even in ranked games I've seen Eve's completely own, and I mean dominate. It just takes a player who's taken the time to learn how to be awesome at their champ, not the masses just taking advantage of the new OP champ.

But ya, there are times when a champ gets hit with the nerf stick too hard, or some nerf's just making people go "huh?". But it wasn't nearly as bad as it was when the game was first released.

And even before I took my 3 month break, the trend I noticed was that the new champions were played regularily for awhile, but people always reverted back to the core released champs.

Even now after the 3 month break and all these new champs to pick from, I still primarily see the core group of champs comprising the majority of the round's champ. There are exceptions yes I know, but averagely this trend does not seem to have changed much.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #38
Raynian
D&A Member

Yeah, it depends on the metagame shifts. Right now Riot is really hitting tanks time after time while buffing casters a fair bit with their new items. I'm not really liking it, I prefer tanky DPS chars like Nasus, but I'm having more success with champs like Veigar/Sion just because they snowball harder and the new items really help them out. I want to try Swain out again, he's free this week. :o

And you might think Eve is useless...she was buffed a while ago, and recently got nerfed back to where she was. During that time she was constantly banned/first pick, it was that ridiculous. She's still a good pubstomper though.

You're right in the core champs too. The community might not play Annie for months at a time, then people will start picking her back up again - it's happening now. She's always been a top tier champion, but there's always other flavors of the month. A lot of the old champs go through those cycles.

New champs...well, some are OP because nobody knows how to counter them (recently Jarvan, he's not OP but definitely something to play against all right), some are OP but nobody realizes it or wants to admit it (fucking Vladimir. FUCKING VLADIMIR.) until they get nerfed a bunch, and some get buffed into being OP (Irelia).

Old 03-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #39
battery
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
New champs...well, some are OP because nobody knows how to counter them (recently Jarvan, he's not OP but definitely something to play against all right), some are OP but nobody realizes it or wants to admit it (fucking Vladimir. FUCKING VLADIMIR.) until they get nerfed a bunch, and some get buffed into being OP (Irelia).
Well, this is why opinions from the player base is not a good resource to balance champions. Individual players have too much vested interests in their own favorite champions (which includes skins they have purchased with real $). Their assessments are likely to be biased. If I have been pwning with Vladimir because of him being OP, I naturally would not mention to the community about this. I will try to steer the community's focus on other champions instead.

I think Riot has given in to QQer's groundless complaints.

Last edited by battery; 03-11-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #40
Hammock
D&A Member

I have to go back to see some of these changelogs since my break, because I noticed a few minor things about some of my champs that I would like to get a better idea what's going on.

When Vladamir was first released I thought he was way over powered and bitched about him constantly, then after a week or so of playing against him, I understood him better, then he didn't bother me.

It's annoying champs that piss me off the most, not nescessarily the OP ones. For example, my least favorite champ to be playing against is shaco, especially if he's good. He's not OP but his play style constantly makes you waste money on wards that might never be usefull during it's use but you put it there anyways. The bush-humping-pop-out-gank-then-runaway strat really pisses me off, especially when my teammates in the other lanes don't spend the money early game on wards to avoid it.

When I'm playing against a shaco, I always recall early to buy 2 wards, 1 normal and 1 stealthed just to avoid that shit.