Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #121
qui

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Kinda just reiterating what FT says really...

First time I fired it up I was really surprised how complete it really was. I mean, essentially its all there, just rough round the edges in places.

Its very playable, but a little buggy.

Dustbowl is also awesome.
qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #122
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spy
Affiliations: -=DoM=-
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
it will be well worth the wait guys...its beautiful...

cant say much else other than what has already been said...there are still a few bugs...but they are working VERY hard on fixing them...so just be patient...it'll be worth it...
GambiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #123
groovyf
In the clouds

You're all bloody teases! :P
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #124
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
FF is a Zombie!!!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #125
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agret
Circuitous what are your thoughts on the beta?
Playing FF for the first time felt exactly like playing TFC for the first time.

I look around, right, and I'm just... I'm in awe. I can hear combat all around me, I'm in some strange new map, I'm just getting to grips... but this time I've got some familiarity on my side. I can pick a class I already know about, and go on and stand a chance.

It's... it's an amazing feeling, honestly. I love it.

Really smooth. Even when the framerate gets low (I dip down in the 20s in big combat, 'cuz the models aren't fully-optimized yet) I can still play. And by "play" I mean "fucking own people as a Pyro despite being completely surrounded by volumetric flame that looks like liquid sex spewn from a nozzle and lit by more sex." 20 fps in the middle of a (literal) firefight and I still have total control over my movement, I can still dodge around the Heavy trying to Swiss me with his AC and the Soldier nearby launching me up into the air. Dick. Switch to IC and launch him up to, show him what for - burn him the whole way down, ain't shit he can do 'cuz he's gotta reload. He hits the ground as a corpse and I'm back on the Heavy.

Everything's a little easier, I'll be honest. If you could conc before but were a little iffy at it, man, you can conc now. I can get some INSANE jumps by memorizing timing - there's a little graphical timer now at the bottom, it's sweet as hell. There's a spot like 10 pixels from the end where jumping will get you from the front door of your base in Well, up past the enemy ceiling. This is like... old TFC concing. Except not laggy. I don't know for sure but it's probably going to be toned down - I don't think it'll hurt it, I mean you never need to go THAT damn far with a conc.

I'm playing classes I never played before. Partly because it's new and fun, I'm in a new game and I wanna give them a chance... and partly because they're fucking amazing now. Scout, Pyro, Spy, Engy... I almost never played these classes normally, but now they're staples. I've got some demos of me as a Spy, facing a Soldier... and he's fucking paranoid because he can't tell where I am... and he's just fucking firing rockets at any little thing he thinks he sees, while I'm down a hallway laughing my ass off.

It's seriously the most fun I've ever had playing Team Fortress. Period. Shit needs fixing, no doubt about that - Direhit + current railgun = me dead constantly, and that's actually really fucking irritating because he should NOT be getting one-hit kills with that. And there's a lot of just silly bugs in there, like tossing a grenade and having it go off right over your head kills you. What the fuck is with that? We dunno. Need coders. Get the fuck on it.

Yeah, man, so much I can say about FF... you'd seriously have to ask like specific questions, or I could go on all fucking day.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #126
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

i have to agree...one of the things that amazed me was that in all out combat my fps will sometimes drop to 20 as well...but i NEVER lag...seriously...i even commented on it in the server...very nice...

and yes the pyros flame is a sexy bish...i've always liked pyro...for my own personal amusement...i think its funny as a firefighter to run around setting ppl'ah blaze...haha...it has become one of my prefered classes now...he is alot more useful than he was in tfc...they balanced out the classes very well...
--------------------------FF_Civibash_G(Released)------------------------
-------------------FF_Conc_G1(WIP)--------------------
-------------------FF_Hollow_G(WIP)---------------------

Old 04-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #127
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
\o/
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #128
Bomber
Skillet

What are you system specs that have the frame rate dropping like that?

I have a 2.13 ghz pentium M, 2GB ram, Nvidia 6800 ultra 256mb.

Are anybody's spec similar?
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #129
GhOsT

I have 3 ghz P4, 2GB ram, Nvidia 6800 GT 256mb.

I haven't been looking at my FPS while playing but I haven't experienced any noticeable slowdown while playing. I'm not sure what my graphics settings are other than resolution being 1680x1050.

Also, the smoothness at 20 fps is probably more a function of the source engine itself more than anything else.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #130
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

2.4 ghz
2 gb of RAM
Nvida 5500fx (i believe)
--------------------------FF_Civibash_G(Released)------------------------
-------------------FF_Conc_G1(WIP)--------------------
-------------------FF_Hollow_G(WIP)---------------------

Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #131
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

I'm sitting here pondering what exactly I could add to what has already been said by other testers and not sound repetitive, but most of them have hit the nail directly on the head.

The game is so close you can feel the hardness in it's pants, but there's still a zipper and some fabric preventing us from full out FF-gasm.

A huge server-crippling bug was just eliminated thanks to our good pal Mulchman (I believe) and from my standpoint, the game would have been entirely unreleasable with this one. The models that are phonged and optimized look sexy as hell, others, (as can be seen in the SS's) need work, but still suit everything great.

The maps look fantastic, and play (for me which honestly isn't saying much) just as fantastic. I'm especially bonering hardcore for Shutdown2 and Canalzone2. Obviously there are places in certain maps where there are geometry problems/texture stretching, but they rarely take away from the breathtaking experience of the rest of the map. These maps are fucking phenomenal.

The hand held models make me cream my jeans. Nuff said. <3 decs

Alot has been said about the gameplay so far, and I can only compound the general feeling of almost perfection when it comes to movement, class balancing, and everything. A high soft/hard bhop cap is definately on my wish list though (and is still being tweaked so tu! can quit fouling his trousers over the tentative 108%).

Nothing is final, nothing is fully finished, but the game is 15,234,432% awesome and everyone should stick around, because the final result will be nothing short of an orgasm so big you will cum blood and possibly your vans defrans.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #132
qui

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
I'm sitting here pondering what exactly I could add to what has already been said by other testers and not sound repetitive, but most of them have hit the nail directly on the head.
Yeah i probably could of said something more useful myself, so perhaps i shall try here

In clanned TFC i played a lot of spy, which was quite unusual for most players. But I loved it and I am very pleased how the spy is working out in FF, for some sneaky fun.

Just earlier I was playing a little game with Harm. It was on well, he defended the flag from the FR, and I as spy had to sneak in past him.

- Ran in to the t-junction at the bottom of the FR and threw a gas grenade to distract with.
- Silent cloaked and ran round the gas so it was difficult to see me and dived under water, swimming underneath harm.
- Uncloaked and chucked a frag grenade the opposite end, to distract him.
- As that exploded i primed another and grenade jumped up, the combination of the distraction and the fact that spies fall silently got me to the flag without Harm even firing a shot

Now i appreciate that in the fast paced clan play, this sort of slow paced, methodical play might not always be advantageous, but its just a demonstration of how the FF changes in general have been both effective and have made the game more fun

I can see maps being made where defenders have limited ammo (so they cant spam and hope) and have to stop spies sneaking into a random point. That would be awesome.

Hope i didnt give away too much there
qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #133
Digital_Ghost

Any ideas on what the progress is on maps that we haven't seen yet/ heard much about such as openfire, rock2, palermo and monkey?

Also, something was mentioned or briefly talked about sometime ago, was how much of the game will be customizable in order to prevent unfair advantages with glowing player models etc. Is there any updates on what the limitations will be for sure on this?
Digital_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #134
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Haven't played openfire rock2 or monkey, as I believe they aren't in the server rotation as of yet.

Palermo rapes hardcore though.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #135
Digital_Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Haven't played openfire rock2 or monkey, as I believe they aren't in the server rotation as of yet.

Palermo rapes hardcore though.
Sweet! Just the answer i was waiting for! Screens?
Digital_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #136
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Those get filtered though devs, so just wait a bit. As of yet it's not played a lot. Next time I go on I'll take a bunch of screenies and mabye the devs will okay some of 'em for the next round of beta shots.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #137
paranoidkirb

Class/Position: O/D Pyro
Gametype: Invade and Defend
Send a message via AIM to paranoidkirb Send a message via MSN to paranoidkirb Send a message via Yahoo to paranoidkirb Send a message via Skype™ to paranoidkirb
That would be great. Since we've only seen one screenshot of palermo thus far.
paranoidkirb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #138
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Ghost
Any ideas on what the progress is on maps that we haven't seen yet/ heard much about such as openfire, rock2, palermo and monkey?
Unfinished, unfinished, unfinished, unfinished.

In that order.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #139
luminous

i wanna play
luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #140
mistermojo
the pumps dont work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Unfinished, unfinished, unfinished, unfinished.

In that order.
so what ctf maps are done?

shutdown2
well
?
mistermojo is offline   Reply With Quote