Old 08-11-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Suggestional Fixes for the Sniper.

Before you read all of this, know that everything suggested below serves as a complete package. Any attempts to really change anything will also change the way other things may work in contrast to one another.

Here's the package:

1.) Remove the charged shot. Make it like a shotgun. You press the mouse button and it fires. No holding down before firing. Instead add a small delay before the next shot.

2.) Lower the damage max to 35.

3.) Add a steady hand system - Basically while in a scoped mode, the laser will move around a bit until the aim adjust to a steady hand.

4.) Add a medium range scope to the AR.

5.) Give the AR clips of ammo like a shotgun.

6.) Give the AR more Ammo.

7.) Add caltrops to the Sniper.

8.) Replace his nailgun with a shotgun.

9.) Give the Sniper the Spies HP and ARMOR.

10.) While not scoped the Sniper Rifle cross hair would be larger and more spread out. Meaning that if he comes point blank with an enemy it will do 35 damage close with delays before shots as it says in # 1).

11.) Give the Sniper a Skill, like the other classes. I prefer adding the tag hit as a special skill. When you press your skill button with the sniper rifle equipped, it will tag the enemy.

12.) Head shots are immediate deaths.

It practically turns the Sniper into a more an Marksman-like Assault Class. His Un-steady hand shot would be good enough to take down a SG, and he'd be able to take out soldiers and other defenses while infiltrating bases. Playing defense wouldn't be bad either. It's not much of a threat from across the yard as it was but it allows the sniper to plan his tactics out. He can drop caltrops on choke point and light someone up with his now-scoped AR. He can still tag enemies as they enter the base per special skill button to allow the defense knowledge of the Offensives coordinates. This add's tactical power to the Sniper to preform on both level's as a good support class. It gives him more of a role, and a purpose.

Let me know what you think. This is just the start of the idea.

Last edited by eomoyaff; 08-11-2010 at 02:44 AM.
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
Epidemic
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Engineer (D and O)
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I agree with making all classes skill based to some degree. Unfortunatly you can't make classes so skill based that a new person finds it frustrating to understand what's going on. It seems like your ideas would put both skill in to the class (and remove the annoyances) of snipers whether being played or going against. It seems like your suggestions would make a real overhaul of the class though (not sure how current players would like it), but I do agree with them.
Epidemic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Sounds like it would be fun to play, but perhaps make him even more powerful. Giving him caltrops is a good idea.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
for this style game i think that scope shouldnt move why becaause the idea of the sniper in my opinion for this game should be good at shooting on the run. this would make it hard at medium ranges without steadying aim. this game is all about movement i say give the sniper a chance to move around. (ive seen some godly snipers in tf2 there good with movement.) tf2 unlike most modern games doesnt have movement.

also because older games never had movement (in this game no other class does.) it keeps it feeling classic the rest im liking though. well...

make sure to make him very inacurate when not scoped. that makes him op in general. cod4 no scope was an assualt rifle if used at close range.

also why not just get rid of armor. have it to protect from one body shot or somthing. personly i dont like it its pointless.

Last edited by WiFiDi; 08-11-2010 at 07:25 AM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
thiz
Tealeaf
Beta Tester

Affiliations: fo!
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I'd prefer sniper to be entirely focused on antispy and anti gren/conc jump. Radio tag with infinite time limit, removable only by medics, a sniper shot that stops the air speed of the target, but damage brought down so that it takes 3 shots to kill a heavy class (or 1 head, 1 body), 2 for a light class (1 headshot).
Remove charge and replace it with a reloading time delay, maybe slightly slower than the AWP in CS.

Snipers currently can move around, it's just that not many do (people who play sniper are wimps who don't like to get hurt) the sniper rifle is 1 hit no matter what distance, and is actually a good offensive class on openfire, aardvark etc. where the distances between defensive positions and the entrances are long.
thiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
2.) Lower the damage max to 35.

3.) Add a steady hand system - Basically while in a scoped mode, the laser will move around a bit until the aim adjust to a steady hand.
These 2 alone would make the sniper virtually worthless.

Sure you have that head shots would be instant kills, but getting a head shot on someone who is jumping and ducking or concing or hitting a jump pad, is not as easy as you think it is.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
7. Caltrops suck. I can't think of a situation where I'd want those.

8. since he has your sniper rifle, which is kind of like a shotgun, we can remove that weapon slot altogether.

12. we want no one-shot kills that the victim can't see coming ahead of time. Doubling the damage for headshots would be plenty.

Other than that I like the idea.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
I've already suggested some sort of radio tracking grenade, where it goes off, shoots spikes out similar to a nail grenade (but just one burst of spikes instead of a constant stream), but would act as a radio tracker similar to the sniper's current rifle ability.

Also, I think we need to get rid of the holding down the fire button to increase the power of the shot. I don't like TF2's idea either where you scope to start the charge. I think it should be a relatively powerful shot, dealing most of the damage to a player's armor, and it should be a bolt action shot like below.

Finally, the sniper needs to have clips for his gun. The assault rifle needs to act more like just that, an assault rifle. I think it should have a scope and maybe have a burst fire, but something that's more accurate when scoped.

But you can't have a sniper rifle that's both bolt action and automatic, right?

What about a pistol for the sniper for close range combat?

I remember back in TFC all we talked about for upgrades to sniper was the flash grenade. That seemed to be the most talked about thing we wanted sniper to have, so if nothing else, sniper needs a grenade addition.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 08-11-2010 at 10:06 PM.
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post

8. since he has your sniper rifle, which is kind of like a shotgun, we can remove that weapon slot altogether.

12. we want no one-shot kills that the victim can't see coming ahead of time. Doubling the damage for headshots would be plenty.

Other than that I like the idea.
If you can't see that red light in your face, then you shouldn't be playing this game.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
Bridget
Banned

Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
If you're a coward and therefore play Sniper, then you shouldn't be playing this game.

EDIT: The laser is only visible when the Sniper keeps his aim on you for a while. You also have to be facing him (I think) and his aim has to be on your head (I think) which makes it not a very good judge of when you're about to die in one fucking hit to the body across the map from some unseen location.

Last edited by Bridget; 08-12-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 AM   #11
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Care to test that theory? Last I saw, when that dot was getting close to you, you could see the beam.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #12
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
It's all very situational. You have to be looking practically straight at the sniper to see it, at which point it's not much of a help since you know he's aiming at you anyways.

Small changes. I'd rather see a gradual change rather than a complete overhaul, considering how if it's a bad change than we're stuck with another six months of shitty gameplay due to snipers.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2010, 03:09 AM   #13
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

In that case, maybe we could add an icon when a Sniper has you in his sights, which is a fairly broad range. Kinda like you get an icon when an SG locks onto you....

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #14
Bridget
Banned

Oh, look, sentry lock on icon. Let me fall out of range.

Oh look, sniper icon. Let me fall o.. let me dodge his bul.. lemme ...

Old 08-12-2010, 03:39 AM   #15
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
Small changes. I'd rather see a gradual change rather than a complete overhaul, considering how if it's a bad change than we're stuck with another six months of shitty gameplay due to snipers.
Once FF is on Steamworks, we won't have this problem.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
It's all very situational. You have to be looking practically straight at the sniper to see it, at which point it's not much of a help since you know he's aiming at you anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Once FF is on Steamworks, we won't have this problem.
ok so after you test this in beta i think you should then this out with comp players. then wants you got all the imput and bugs. make final changes, test again with beta testers and then add to game. you could make quick revert sniper back to where it was or find out what was wrong after a week and fix that.

also giving the assualt rifle burst fire would be awesome. (secondary fire button.)

Last edited by WiFiDi; 08-12-2010 at 01:26 PM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #17
Bridget
Banned

Yeah, burst fire sounds pretty cool. It's something different. It'd make him even more gimp at close range if the delay between bursts was enough. That should at-least be considered if you're going to keep having the Sniper play at an unfair distance. He shouldn't be good at long range and close range. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #18
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

If there's burst fire, then there might not even be a need for an assault rifle. That could be replaced by something else like a pistol or sub machine gun.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
Bridget
Banned

What do you purpose? Wasting time making a new model, skins, and all that when you can just add burst fire to the AR to achieve the same effect without the waste of time?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian
considering how if it's a bad change than we're stuck with another six months of shitty gameplay due to snipers.
1) The sniper already added shitty game play since the release of this mod.

2) That's more of a personal opinion. I think the game is fine now where it is to be honest, if you minus out the pyro and sniper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl

I just used them as an example in the original post. By placing caltrops in choke points against an offense, would slow them down for an easy kill. If that doesn't make sense, then you need to be playing this game more often.

By adding a shotgun instead of a nailgun, you can actually use the shotgun to hit a low hp target from a long distance more then you could with a nailgun, by far. Then it's as simple as beating your opponent to the flag, dropping caltrops and setting up for a shot.

A shot in the head should be in an instant kill.. You'd have to be dumb not to make it in this form.

Quote:
From Gwarsbane
"2.) Lower the damage max to 35.

3.) Add a steady hand system - Basically while in a scoped mode, the laser will move around a bit until the aim adjust to a steady hand."

These 2 alone would make the sniper virtually worthless. Sure you have that head shots would be instant kills, but getting a head shot on someone who is jumping and ducking or concing or hitting a jump pad, is not as easy as you think it is.
I know it's not easy, though I know on Openfire, I can no scope as offense goes into the passage, and pull off headshots 40% of the time. That's without a scope. The hit box is retarded in that area, especially with no scope. Hell I hit more no scope then I do with one. Also, i have noted other idea's in my original post to counter what you just said. You now how an Assault Rifle that can scope and has more ammo, thus if you dont do enough damage with a SR, you can more then make up for it with an AR. ALSO, this is about giving the sniper an actual role other then being the lazy fuck that most are and standing about in the yard just popping people as they go by. That ruins the purpose behind the objective game play. And anyone who says that it's stopping the offense is just being a technical goof. It's not allowing a chance for players to PLAY THE GAME.

Quote:
WiFiDi
for this style game i think that scope shouldnt move why becaause the idea of the sniper in my opinion for this game should be good at shooting on the run. this would make it hard at medium ranges without steadying aim. this game is all about movement i say give the sniper a chance to move around. (ive seen some godly snipers in tf2 there good with movement.) tf2 unlike most modern games doesnt have movement.
You mean, The idea of the sniper should be shooting on the WALK. And half of them don't even do that.. What I'm trying to do is give the sniper movement. By applying with him, more ammo, hp, armor, 2ndary grenade, skilled button, and more of an instant shot doing max damage automatically, rather then having to charge for a moment to give max damage, he is allowed to actually move around and be more of a role player or support class when it comes to offense or defense. Sure the steady aim might take a moment to straighten out but I don't believe that the automatic movement would look anything like being hit by a concussion grenade. It'd be a much smaller figure 8 perimeter. Basically your chances of hitting with a SR if this change were to occur is actually greater if you would learn the rotation of the SR while scoped. The only difference is that your doing a max of 35 instead. And that's an instant 35 damage point-blank with like a 1.6 second delay. you hit with that then pull out your AR, and its a done deal on any medium class, which is what most offensive classes are.

Quote:
Epidemic
I agree with making all classes skill based to some degree. Unfortunatly you can't make classes so skill based that a new person finds it frustrating to understand what's going on. It seems like your ideas would put both skill in to the class (and remove the annoyances) of snipers whether being played or going against. It seems like your suggestions would make a real overhaul of the class though (not sure how current players would like it), but I do agree with them.
Honestly, any new person that steps into this game is going to have the WTF question mark above there head and begin to ask questions about how to do things. It's because There isn't a video yet (that I've seen) that teaches players how to play each class, and what all they can do. They need to make a class tutorial video with directions in it. For instance:

"The Spy!

1) The abilities of the spy.

2) who to do those abilities, by showing what key bind does what."

Even add a generic tutorial that tells people how to toss a flag, and introduces all the game-types with objectives.

My point being, anyone who is new is going to find this game fustrating because they wont know how to do anything. And at this point you'd find them playing the sniper or the pyro because it's simple. What I wish to see is that simplicity waved goodbye, and something to help players learn each class better, so that the frustration will be about the game and not the class.

Quote:
From thiz
Snipers currently can move around, it's just that not many do (people who play sniper are wimps who don't like to get hurt) the sniper rifle is 1 hit no matter what distance, and is actually a good offensive class on openfire, aardvark etc. where the distances between defensive positions and the entrances are long.
This is really another opinion about snipers. Though I agree strongly that snipers can move, I just believe they could do more when they do move.

More feedback please! And thanks for your thoughts so far.
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote