Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 09-29-2007, 06:02 AM   #1
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Snake meets AK-47

What looks like a Water Moccasin gets up close and personal with 3 rounds from an AK47.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfV2O45To-o
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Affiliations: Knights of the Round
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to Zydell Send a message via Skype™ to Zydell
How cooool!! killing a living creature for fun!!!
Zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydell
How cooool!! killing a living creature for fun!!!
Being from The Netherlands, I doubt you have Cottonmouth Water Moccasins in your neck of the woods.

These things are members of the pit viper family and will kill your ass.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~
Being from The Netherlands, I doubt you have Cottonmouth Water Moccasins in your neck of the woods.

But you didn't consider that the snake might have been from a low income family with little to no educational background while supporting a family. This snake was obviously another victim of a vast right wing conspiracy to kill off snakes that, albeit would cause painful death, mearly seek to co-exist with man within their religion of peace.

Scuzzy

Old 09-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~

Indeed you are right, we do not have such a snake in our woods; in fact the only poisonous snake we have is the (common) European Adder (same family as the cottonmouth).

So it is safe to say that I have no experience whatsoever with this snake. However, what I read from a simple Wikipedia page is that this snake seldom uses a venomous attack on humans, that a poisonous attack is very unlikely to cause death in a healthy human and that humans are not even its ‘prey’ (food) and that it therefor will only attack for defensive/territorial reasons.

Still its very much okay to kill this animal for fun, ey?

Old 09-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Engineer or Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Send a message via AIM to SizeableSSonic Send a message via MSN to SizeableSSonic
There was no reason to shoot. The snake never attempted to attack him. Therefore, there was no reason to shoot the snake.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Boo for youtube picture quality. The first two shots were pretty far apart. That snake did not move that far in that short of time did it?

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Atari

I bet it makes you feel like a real man.

Yeeehawwww

High five.
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
I bet it makes you feel like a real man.

Yeeehawwww

High five.
Not nearly as much as posting "yehaw" and "high five" in a thread. we can only aspire to be THAT much of a real man.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #10
Atari

Sorry I didn't realise it bothered you so.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Quote:
Indeed you are right, we do not have such a snake in our woods; in fact the only poisonous snake we have is the (common) European Adder (same family as the cottonmouth).

So it is safe to say that I have no experience whatsoever with this snake. However, what I read from a simple Wikipedia page is that this snake seldom uses a venomous attack on humans, that a poisonous attack is very unlikely to cause death in a healthy human and that humans are not even its ‘prey’ (food) and that it therefor will only attack for defensive/territorial reasons.

Still its very much okay to kill this animal for fun, ey?
Hey come on down here and swim in a creek with it. We'll see how very unlikely that is. Few snakes will eat a person. But most of them don't even have to. We have a ton of snakes around here mostly those snakes and copper heads which are near impossible to see in the fall and will screw you up bad if they get you. Its sensible practice to kill a snake if you find it because the next time it might find you first and feel you are a threat. A snake isn't going to look at you and say "Oh they are just passing a long I'll just sit right here."
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Hey come on down here and swim in a creek with it. We'll see how very unlikely that is. Few snakes will eat a person. But most of them don't even have to. We have a ton of snakes around here mostly those snakes and copper heads which are near impossible to see in the fall and will screw you up bad if they get you. Its sensible practice to kill a snake if you find it because the next time it might find you first and feel you are a threat. A snake isn't going to look at you and say "Oh they are just passing a long I'll just sit right here."
Why on earth would I swim in a creek full of potentially dangerous animals? It's like saying that it's totally ok to kill tigers because when you go to a zoo and enter their cage/territorium they might kill you, no shit!

I mean, to me it looks like it's not more than a choice to come in contact with these animals, and even when you come in contact with them (as far as I may believe Wikipedia), the chance of real danger for humans is low.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Comparing entering a caged animals cage in the zoo with a creek out in the wilderness is hardly a fair equivalent.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spy
Affiliations: -=DoM=-
i tell you what down here in the swamps of Louisiana those snakes are VERY common, and it is practice to kill them when seen. Numerous children have come across them and died. We also have numerous other snakes down here but most of us down here can tell or know which ones are poisonous or not, the ones that aren't we don't kill because their of no threat to us.

and for those of you who have never come across one, they are VERY territorial, and very very aggressive, i don't give a shit what wiki said. i see them daily.
--------------------------FF_Civibash_G(Released)------------------------
-------------------FF_Conc_G1(WIP)--------------------
-------------------FF_Hollow_G(WIP)---------------------
GambiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #15
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Might be that we don't have much swamps here in the Netherlands, but even if we do; I wouldn't frequently be there?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's totally ok to kill them if you feel that you are in danger or in fact that you are. But I started this discussion saying that it's not OK to kill them for fun, which is what happened in that video; don't try to change the subject please!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #16
Atari

Get used to it Zydell.

I really don't see the point in posting this shit on YouTube, and even more so on a gaming forum.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #17
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spy
Affiliations: -=DoM=-
Quote:
Might be that we don't have much swamps here in the Netherlands, but even if we do; I wouldn't frequently be there?
i have no choice but to be in the swamps, most of LA is swamps. Second, i work for the government at a hidden facility in the swamps so cant avoid that either.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think it's totally ok to kill them if you feel that you are in danger or in fact that you are.
i don't condone going out and killing them for fun, but if you come across one i'd suggest you kill it(if you can do so safely).
--------------------------FF_Civibash_G(Released)------------------------
-------------------FF_Conc_G1(WIP)--------------------
-------------------FF_Hollow_G(WIP)---------------------
GambiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

I can only assume you haven't enjoyed the fun of swimming in a creek or anywhere that isn't a public or private pool. People love to do that, go out in the woods and camp out, build a fire, bbq, ect. Its great fun. You don't jump in hoping for a snake. They just happen to be there. Its a huge difference in jumping in a cage with a tiger. The difference is on one hand you are trying to enjoy nature and on the other you obviously are going to have nature take you out of the picture.

As for finding snakes its nearly impossible to go hiking or walking in the woods without first encountering a snake of some kind. Copper heads are all over the place in the fall. They don't kill you but are very hard to see and can make you puke all over the place. Encountering one and killing one is a smart thing to do as you could very easily step on it on your way back through.

Wikipedia will back this up:
Quote:
Like most North American viperids, these snakes prefer to avoid humans and, given the opportunity, will leave the area without biting. However, unlike other viperids they will often "freeze" instead of slithering away, and as a result many bites occur from people unknowingly stepping on or near them. This tendency to freeze likely evolved because of the extreme effectiveness of their camouflage. When lying on dead leaves or red clay they can be almost impossible to notice. They will frequently stay still even when approached closely, and will generally strike only if physical contact is made.
This isn't to say you couldn't just ignore them. But if you and your family are out hiking in the woods and especially if you have younger kids with you would you want to run that risk?
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #19
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Eh, killing a critter for fun isn't what I call exciting...but here in the south (South Carolina) if you have dogs/small kids/smurfs in your back yard, you do them the favor of protecting them by killing a potential threat. Especially if they bug Papa Smurf.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #20
Atari

So if you're all doing mankind such a great favour and it's all natural and worthy, why go posting this shit on youtube and on a gaming forum? Seriously, someone please explain.

I think this Kev guy is a fking redneck intent on pimping his website in anyway he can tbh.