Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 09-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to Imbrifer
New Videocard Recommendations?

Alright you techies, I need your help. My Radeon9800pro video card started freaking out a few days ago, and while trying to fix it, I broke off a piece - so I'm in the market for a new video card. Here are my qualifications:
  • Inexpensive (<$200)
  • Will run latest games (Hellgate:London, FF, NWN2, etc.)
  • Will last me another 3-4 years
  • Solid and proven to work
I have an AMD processor on an ASUS K8V SE deluxe motherboard, and ive got a PCI express slot yearning to be filled.

So what do y'all recommend? I've been out of the hardware loop for some time.. the future of (part) of FF hangs in the balance (sort of..)!

By the way - I've got nothing but good things to say about my Radeon 9800 Pro card - its been wonderful for the past 3/4 years!
Imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
Alright you techies, I need your help. My Radeon9800pro video card started freaking out a few days ago, and while trying to fix it, I broke off a piece - so I'm in the market for a new video card. Here are my qualifications:
  • Inexpensive (<$200)
  • Will run latest games (Hellgate:London, FF, NWN2, etc.)
  • Will last me another 3-4 years
  • Solid and proven to work
I have an AMD processor on an ASUS K8V SE deluxe motherboard, and ive got a PCI express slot yearning to be filled.

So what do y'all recommend? I've been out of the hardware loop for some time.. the future of (part) of FF hangs in the balance (sort of..)!

By the way - I've got nothing but good things to say about my Radeon 9800 Pro card - its been wonderful for the past 3/4 years!
Last 3-4 years can happen but not playing the latest games throughout. Look at the shader version issues. All it takes is a migration there to render your card incompatible. So that's a crapshoot IMO.

How is it you have a PCI-e slot? Perhaps I am mistaken but the 9800 is an AGP card. Missing piece of information? My next purchase will be a new system with PCI-e and a DirectX 10.1 compatible card...once I am comfortable that the tech is stable...look at how fast 10.1 came out on the heels of 10.

That said, I would look at an Nvidia based card. I love ATi but they've made me really gunshy with some of their recent releases. I would look for a card with DDR3 memory if you can find it in your price range. Your price range will be the single limiting factor so shop around.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
own3r
Custom mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
Last 3-4 years can happen but not playing the latest games throughout. Look at the shader version issues. All it takes is a migration there to render your card incompatible. So that's a crapshoot IMO.

How is it you have a PCI-e slot? Perhaps I am mistaken but the 9800 is an AGP card. Missing piece of information? My next purchase will be a new system with PCI-e and a DirectX 10.1 compatible card...once I am comfortable that the tech is stable...look at how fast 10.1 came out on the heels of 10.

That said, I would look at an Nvidia based card. I love ATi but they've made me really gunshy with some of their recent releases. I would look for a card with DDR3 memory if you can find it in your price range. Your price range will be the single limiting factor so shop around.
Memory bandwidth is important also look for a 256bit or greater bandwidth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshardware.com

Best PCI-E Card For ~$200

Radeon X1950 XT
Codename: R580+
Process: 90nm
Pixel Shaders: 48
Vertex Shaders: 8
Texture Units: 16
ROPs: 16
Memory Bus: 256-bit
Core Speed MHz: 625
Memory Speed MHz: 900 (1800 effective)
DirectX / Shader Model DX 9.0c / SM 3.0

The X1950 XT is a powerful graphics card. Its core runs a mere 25 MHz slower than that of the X1950 XTX, and its memory runs a full 250 MHz (effective) faster than the X1900 XTX. It is on par with the previous X1900 XTX champ, and fast enough to run at high resolutions with nice eye candy. It will handily beat a 7950 GT, and even best a 7900 GTO or 7900 GTX at most things.

The X1950 XT is a great deal at the $200 price point. Many are $250 or higher, though, and at that price it begins to tread too closely to the 8800 GTS, which is more powerful.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/...ney/page3.html

Last edited by own3r; 09-12-2007 at 03:46 PM.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I expect the <$200 thing will be an issue.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Okay, I was mistaken. It's an AGP slot that my fried video card was in. So I've got one of those puppies and 6 PCI slots.

Anyhow, yes. I just want a DirectX 10 compatible card - I know that DirectX 10.1 is out/coming out, that DirectX 10.238.j.q75 will be out in the next four months or whatever, but I don't want to be on the cutting edge - I just want a solid, decent video card in my price range.

That said, based on reviews I've read, I think I might get the Radeon HD 2600 XT GDDR3 or GDDR4 thoughts?

I read reviews on the similar nVidia card (GeForce 8600 GT) and they were poor

Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Probably won't happen or if it does it will be very limited. DX10 and above is likely only ever going to be Vista only. Personally, I would not waste money on another AGP card. Granted you have ALOT of advances that have been made since the 9800 I think it's spending good money on a dead end box. I know that the alternative is MUCH more expensive but I guarantee you won't get 3-4 useable years out of a AGP based card. If you can figure out a way to do it...build a new system instead. That, IMO, would be a better use of your money.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

You won't get a card that will do the business with AGP. Best you can do is some of the lower tier ATI cards. They'll run the latest games but I wouldn't hold your breath regarding the years ahead.

Right now the best bang per buck is the 8800 GTS cards, but they're PCI-E only.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

...so I'd have to buy a new motherboard? *punches kitten*

Any recommendations to go with the Radeon HD 2600 XT GDDR3? I don't want any crossfire shiat, I don't want it to make me breakfast...

shit, i dont even know how to shop for AMD motherboards
EDIT: I'm looking at the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard..

Last edited by Imbrifer; 09-12-2007 at 05:50 PM.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

MSI is in my top 3 for doing builds. They have been stable and reliable. ASUS is also in my top3. My recommendation would be for an Intel build and something using the new chipset. As with the card, knowing what you have to budget will be key. As a minimum you will have to replace your MOBO, CPU, RAM and VIDEO. As you're probably using PATA drives you will also see some gain from moving to SATA2.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
own3r
Custom mapper

Personally I have an AGP system, and it works fine with very good performance. (athlon 64 3400, 1gb ram, 7800 GS)
7800 GS i can reccommend but theres a cheaper ATI alternative out there as shown on that tomshardware link above. Personally I try and avoid ATI where possible because of the drivers.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #11
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by own3r
Personally I try and avoid ATI where possible because of the drivers.
sadly, they've really hit and miss over the years. I trust Nvidia more in that respect.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #12
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Okay. So I only want to upgrade my Video Card, Motherboard and (if I have to) CPU. I can cannibalize my RAM (1gig), HD and more. Here's what I'm thinking:

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4-F ($72.72)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 2600 XT 512mb GDDR3 ($137.00)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ($40.00)

Sooo it all comes to $249.72 - which is less than half of one of my pay checks, so I think I can do it. Anyone have any of these or have other feedback?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #13
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

I understand you're trying to save money but to scrimp on a few bucks to stick with slower PC3200 DDR instead of Faster DDR2 because you want to reuse that RAM is a waste IMO. That new MOBO you spec will underperform with the slower ram. Better to get a setup that takes advantages of the newer standards.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #14
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

I don't want performance, I want to be able to run FF, NWN2 and Hellgate: London at a decent resolution. Despite what my mapping may show, I'm not one for everything being super detailed & pretty.

Getting a more up to date motherboard and replacing the ram would boost the price tag by at least a hundred bucks, and I'm not willing to do that for slightly better performance.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

In which case I think what you spec'ed will do the job nicely.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #16
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
Okay, I was mistaken. It's an AGP slot that my fried video card was in. So I've got one of those puppies and 6 PCI slots.

Anyhow, yes. I just want a DirectX 10 compatible card - I know that DirectX 10.1 is out/coming out, that DirectX 10.238.j.q75 will be out in the next four months or whatever, but I don't want to be on the cutting edge - I just want a solid, decent video card in my price range.

That said, based on reviews I've read, I think I might get the Radeon HD 2600 XT GDDR3 or GDDR4 thoughts?

I read reviews on the similar nVidia card (GeForce 8600 GT) and they were poor
Here is what I did as I also have an AGP board.... running a 9800 Pro too!

OK, This looks like a good "last stand" AGP setup.

SAPPHIRE 100171L Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814102071

This card is rated by Tom's Hardware as being the one to get... Unless you just want to pay stupid amount of money.

*note - It is a POWER HOG and a lot of ppl require a new PSU. Your PSU MUST have at least 2 12 Volt Rails running 15AMPS minimum (20AMPS each would be better).
*note - It is 9.5 inches long. Maker sure it will fit your case.

ENERMAX EG495AX-VE FMA ATX12V Ver 2.2 485W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, TUV, CB - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817194015

The PSU is only 485 watts but it has 22 Amps on each 12V rail. That is better than a LOT of PSU's with a lot higher wattage rating. It's basically the "Enermax Noisetaker II" PSU minus the shiny blue paint and $10 cheaper. I have an older one and it has been flawless.

Both of these are being shipped to Oklahoma for $262.63 (not including $10 rebate). That should give me 1-2 more years before I have to build a whole new system.

Last edited by 4est; 09-12-2007 at 09:22 PM.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote