Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
Green Mushy
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via AIM to Green Mushy
Sad post for FF fans/ Graphics frustration

So, at 1:30 am on a Monday night, the mIRC Channel #fourtress, for tfc, fills 2 pickups of 8 people each in probably 2 minutes or less. We try to start a pickup in #ff.pickup, we get 3 people and sit there and talk about why nobody plays it. A stupid sourcemod called Pirates Vikings Knights II has like 5 full servers running all the time, and all u do is run around and melee people!

One conclusion is that the game of tfc is MUCH more clear and smooth looking then FF. You may blame this on the pc, but i think the same theory applies. The game of tfc is so clear, you can distinguish a player type from across the map easily. When chaos is going on, u can see whats happening. 2.0 was a huge improvement in that front, but it is still miles behind the clarity of tfc. Holy shit so far away. And to tell you the truth, i miss that clarity so badly.

Is there any way to change the graphics look of FF so that it has more CLEAR visuals with models, lighting, physics? I think that would entice tfcers to come over, because the gameplay of FF is so much better. Look at TF2, the game looks like a comic book and people love it. Same goes for tfc, its from the 90s for god's sake. We need a more simple and clear game, and the awesome gameplay will take care of the rest. So i propose (if this is even possible) to have an easily accessible option to turn the graphics down to an obscenely low level, where the clarity is greatly enhanced.

Let me note that im already running on dx80 and everything turned down graphics wise. Id rather play a clear cartoon with this gameplay then good graphics but squinting my eyes to figure whats happening. Im sure others agree. What do we do!?

Last edited by Green Mushy; 04-01-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Green Mushy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Skillet

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Why don't the dev team just port the TFC models to FF the old TFC models and new ones?

Skillet
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet
Why don't the dev team just port the TFC models to FF the old TFC models and new ones?

Skillet
That would ROCK!!!
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 AM   #4
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
I agree that the graphics are much more serious-looking than they should be. Toon textures ftw!
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 AM   #5
Mr. Happy
FF LOL

Unfortunately the only thing harder to find than a character modeler/animator is a coder.

I wish I could do it, the FF models are honestly the weakest part
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Define "clear" graphics.. differences in size of the various models? more polygons? higher contrast for the textures? I'm certainly for a redesign of the player models, because imo they lack "character" at the moment.. i don't have a problem recognizing them though..?

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
You don't just go around meleeing people, but also go around shooting your crossbow/bow. There's a class system in PVK II too.
Everything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
thiz
Tealeaf
Beta Tester

Affiliations: fo!
I've never had a problem with distinguishing models, do you guys play on PSP screens or something?

and don't dis PVK, or I'll jam my axe in your skull
thiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spy
Affiliations: -=DoM=-
clarity? i see models/classes just fine even accross the map, before 2.0 and after. i love the graphics, if i wanted to play a gay ass cartoony game i'd play tf2.

this to me sounds more like a personal problem...

this thread fails....
--------------------------FF_Civibash_G(Released)------------------------
-------------------FF_Conc_G1(WIP)--------------------
-------------------FF_Hollow_G(WIP)---------------------
GambiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
VinnytheBoss
Boss 4 all da rite reasons

Class/Position: O scout/med D sol/demo
Affiliations: Founder of the Goodfellas.
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
i know what mushy is sayin... its just a real fast paced game and maybe sometimes its hard to see whats goin on...im not sure what it is...but it def needs a little improving...still a great game tho
VinnytheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

How about a BIG HEAD mod?? that would be sooo funny.

All the characters on the map have huge heads...rofl
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
Mr. Happy
FF LOL

Lol goldeneye h4x

But I thought most people agrees the player models were a little weak. They are kind of stiff, drab, and all really similar.

I wish they invoked the character of the old TFC models. Those were perfect.
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #13
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I dunno, I think some people are uncritical of the TFC models due mainly to nostalgia. That being said, I agree that our characters need some work. The trick is getting people to work on them
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
RocKwell
Regular or Menthol?

Affiliations: :e0: .o`
Yea, I agree completely with the visual direction, Mushy. I think another one of the major problems with FF is with its visuals and how there is no strong focal point that brings the characters and settings together. Everything is kind of a mis-mash of futuristic models mixed with Aztec jungles and abandoned western towns.TF2, for as much as it's shit on for being cartoony, still looks appealing because both the players and maps fit together.

Personally, I'd like it if they gave the option to use TFC models instead of the current ones. Unless they update the detail so they look good in the source engine, though, It'd probably be pretty bad for attracting new players.

I was going to write more about the art direction, but this review on version 1 of FF from Hallife2.net explains it a lot better:

Visually, Fortress Forever is part of the plethora of realistic-looking Source mods that are plastered in high-res textures in an attempt to be “cool” and “sophisticated”. While most mods can get away with this, FF doesn’t quite pull it off. Sure, if you browse through their media library the models, weapons and maps look great individually. Professional, even. But when you’re in the thick of battle and you see a perfectly-proportioned military soldier flung fifty feet into the air by a rocket launcher, only to fall on the roof of a wild-west saloon and carry on shooting, your eyebrow may raise quizzically. Unless you can’t move your eyebrows individually, in which case you may stroke your chin instead. What I’m trying to say is that there isn’t any overall art direction – the characters are rehashes of the uninspired TFC originals, and lack diversity. There isn’t much to distinguish a spy from a soldier if they’re more than a few metres away, and on certain models it can even be quite hard to tell what team they’re on. It’s also reasonable to wonder why such a light-hearted, unrealistic game has such gritty graphics – bases are covered in a layer of dirt and grime, while weapons look as if they could be found in a real American gun store. Not to mention that many of the maps feel completely out of place – Cornfield takes place in City 17, Citadel and all, while Monkey is positioned within some disused jungle ruins. The only time when the game looks right is on the generic-looking grey maps, because the generic-looking classes fit right in.

http://www.halflife2.net/2007/09/20/...ver-v1-review/

Why are modelers so difficult to find
RocKwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKwell
Why are modelers so difficult to find
Modelers aren't that hard to find. Finding one that will model 10 different characters that look and animate great, and then getting them into the Source engine, is the challenge. Even if we find someone with the talent, that person also has to have the motivation.

Also, I would contend that TFC was a mismash of styles as well. It's just that people's expectations have been raised over the years.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #16
tu!

whoever said to give us optioon of old tfc models in ff, i agree.
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #17
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Jeeez...how about putting a big freaking flashing light above everyone's head, that's the same color as their team. While we're at it, if you're going to put colored circles around the nades, then how about huge colored crosshairs/bullseyes around all the players?

ALSO...how about change red to hot pink, and blue to neon blue? And then you could have all enemies run around saying stuff like "Yo, shoot me, dickhead!" all the time, so you can hear them better.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
Tsukasa

Class/Position: O
Affiliations: mimic-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon
Jeeez...how about putting a big freaking flashing light above everyone's head, that's the same color as their team. While we're at it, if you're going to put colored circles around the nades, then how about huge colored crosshairs/bullseyes around all the players?

ALSO...how about change red to hot pink, and blue to neon blue? And then you could have all enemies run around saying stuff like "Yo, shoot me, dickhead!" all the time, so you can hear them better.
No, the models do need to be improved. As a clanner I give myself every competitive advantage I can find, and ended up making the soldiers have like neon bright shoulderpads so I could identify them quicker.
Tsukasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #19
myersjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0undch4s3r
How about a BIG HEAD mod?? that would be sooo funny.

All the characters on the map have huge heads...rofl
Interesting idea...remember NBA Jam and how they did that with that game..??

Another thing, i keep looking at all these posts concerning how the game looks and plays. I hear alot of mention about the smoothness and/or choppyness of the gameplay. One complaint i had when first playing FF was that it didnt appear to run all that smoothly, or at the very least, kinda choppy. I didnt know if that was due to the intensity of the graphics or whether it was my machine or something else entirely. There's no questioning how far the devteam has come in terms of improving many aspects of gameplay, but until people can run this thing without a hitch, you may have problems attracting folks. I dont know whether its the modeling or animations or whatever. Im completely programming illiterate so im not much help there..only thing i can do is describe what i see.
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #20
!nF3D4L
D&A Member

Class/Position: Offy ftw
Affiliations: ]NM[- `DIB5
Send a message via MSN to !nF3D4L
i would play in pickups but my ff takes to long to load prematch would be done
!nF3D4L is offline   Reply With Quote