Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #61
SuicideChicken
Back Stabber (Spy)

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via MSN to SuicideChicken
1. the voice icon is there, i ahve seen it many a time.

2. spy claok is easy to get around. if your running dx7 the claok does jack shit.
SuicideChicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 02:51 AM   #62
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
is it? well we'll see about that.

cloak is not supposed to be turned off at the user's discretion

Old 09-24-2007, 04:27 AM   #63
richard nixon

I haven't seen the voice icon? I see the teammate icon thing but that is separate, is that what you are speaking of?
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 AM   #64
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard nixon
I haven't seen the voice icon? I see the teammate icon thing but that is separate, is that what you are speaking of?
when in game i cannot see the side hud icon that appears in CS when someone talks. as far as in game overhead voice icon, i havent noticed it not working ill have to look into that.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #65
SuicideChicken
Back Stabber (Spy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
cloak is not supposed to be turned off at the user's discretion
i know. countless people have claimed that they crash in dx9 so they run dx 7, and that they love it because it makes spy cloak useless.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #66
Bobbus

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
The most obvious give-away that the "OMFG HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS A SPY???" guys exhibit is that they run headlong into your flag room. It's pretty obvious when there is one Red engineer in amongst a load of Blue medics/soldiers/whatnot running in the front door of your base.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #67
SuicideChicken
Back Stabber (Spy)

when i play spy i do9nt play as if i'm a spy, meaning i do everything i would do if i was on the enemy team except shoot and walk through security barriers that kill my team. i even chuck nades at my own team and pray the enemy thinks my teammate dropped it.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #68
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

DX7 does not turn off the cloak. Quite the opposite, in fact: It makes the cloak harder to see. There's a difference between using a command and using DX7 -- we'll be locking down any/all commands that interfere with the spy's cloak effect in the next patch.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #69
Meathook

Send a message via AIM to Meathook Send a message via MSN to Meathook
on the DX issue: when I started playing hidden:source I had to jump thorugh a few hoops to get the overlay working right. While it was borked I could totally see him. So if it's a like effect there might be the same issue.

on the spy check issue: I've quit playing spy now, I walk into a room and get blasted from all sides by checks. Spys are useless with players that check. I've played plenty of TF games and know how to act, but people just shoot first and dont care to ask questions.

Fin.
Meathook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #70
lollerskates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathook
on the spy check issue: I've quit playing spy now, I walk into a room and get blasted from all sides by checks. Spys are useless with players that check. I've played plenty of TF games and know how to act, but people just shoot first and dont care to ask questions.
That's where old school stealth comes into play. You need to use cloaking and correct timing to get past people. Sometimes, though, the base is locked down so tight that you just can't get anything done, or the map doesn't favor spies (aardvark is really terrible for spies).
lollerskates is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 AM   #71
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
You ARE joking, right?

Edit: Referencing aardvark being terrible for spies.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 04:14 AM   #72
Hand_O_Death
www.suicidesoldiers.net

If I am having a big Spy raping against my team, I just go Pyro for a while and light up everyone. The team usually realizes this and waits for one to catch fire and then unloads on them. works out pretty well. A good spy then realizes to change patterns so they are not detected like this and cause enough alarm for such drastic measures to happen. They need to hang tight and know when to strike.
Hand_O_Death is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 04:46 AM   #73
jdubbya

I love the new spy. It is actually an effective team member now. When people are walking around spy checking all their teammates, they arent guarding their base as well. I like to disguise as an enemy sniper and walk around all the sniper spots playing the role. Once you make it there you are golden. Enemy medic is entertaining too, especially when the opposing team has an aids epidemic going on.
jdubbya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 07:02 AM   #74
Zer033

Scouts are called scouts for a reason. There are a lot of ways to detect a spy, but this is one that a team should definitely use. Scouts move so fast they can easily keep a base free of spies. If you don't think it is worth having a scout do this then why even complain about spies? Cause they're apparently not dangerous enough to set aside one person to have this spy detection duty.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 AM   #75
lollerskates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
You ARE joking, right?

Edit: Referencing aardvark being terrible for spies.
No. Why would I be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbya
I love the new spy. It is actually an effective team member now.
Spies have always been effective.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #76
[LoG]eomp

A spy actually made me jump yesterday on aardvark when he stabbed me in the back

Sneaky buggers!
[LoG]eomp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #77
ekiM
Arrogance is Bliss

Spies hardly need nerfing.
ekiM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #78
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollerskates
No. Why would I be?
Aardvark is one of my favorite spy maps...

Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #79
lollerskates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur
Aardvark is one of my favorite spy maps...
I don't like it.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #80
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
People keep saying the scout is an effective tool for revealing spys. Unfortunately I have yet to see a person dedicated as scout on D. The only reason a scout would be on D is for this exact reason meaning you've dedicated an entire play towards just revealing 1 guy. And he'd have to be running around his entire base to cover all the ground. If scouts are designed to reveal spys then their +attack2 should uncloak/undisguise them. 95% of the time the scouts are on O anyways.

I hate the spy because I feel he's too powerfull. But I love him for the same reason. When I join a game I start off as scout, if I can't cap, I switch to med, if I can't cap, my final resort is the spy. When I switch to him, I notice immediately I'm producing better results. So I'd have to say his "power" is needed and perfect exactly where it is. Lots of spys would be detrimental to a team, but 1 or 2 create enough havok to push that flag, which is good because many times a med/scout can't do it on their own.

Going with the original topic to this thread, I do find it hard to spot the spy immediately after he cloaks. And I noticed people have the same problem with me.

I had an engy on my tail, not more than 5 feet behind me (otw to the flag on aardvark security side). I went up the first incline and hung a sharp right. I crouched and cloaked. The engy blew right by me! and he wasn't more than 5 feet behind me, the 2nd engy and solly did the same thing. I was crouched and cloaked right infront of the 3! rofl.

My only suggestion would be to make the cloak not so instantly invisible. Give it a sec to fully kick in or something.

Cheers,
Hammock
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote