Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-16-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
o_tyrus

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
A really stupid question about Windows XP.

Recently, my brother obtained an authentic copy of XP and he installed it on his computer. What would happen if I install the same XP with the same cd key he used on my computer? Basically, is it possible to have the same cd key on two computers of which are both connected to the internet? Or would that cause the cd key to become inactive/invalid?
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
o_psycnet

You'd just get an annoying 'Your copy of Windows is illegal/pirated! Click here to contact Microsoft!' popup
o_psycnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
o_tyrus

Even if it is only on 2 computers rather than 100's?
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
o_mooga

Depends.
Normaly windows only lets you put it on one computer.
Sometimes you might be able to use a key two or three times.

I know that I have a hand full of legal keys and when ever I switch computers I have to call up windows and tell them that my copy is legit.
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
o_loader

With Windows XP you can use the same CD key upto 3 times, or 1 more time every 6 months.
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
o_mooga

Depends on the version/key.
If you get the free student version of XP pro I think they lock it to one time use which I why I normaly have to call in those keys. (Ya, i had a lot of computer problems. I installed windows on a computer and a week later the computer died and had to install it on another and repeat...)

Old 02-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
o_loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
With Windows XP you can use the same CD key upto 3 times, or 1 more time every 6 months.
Apart from the Student version*

Old 02-16-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

I remember reading somewhere that Microsoft will allow automatic activation of a new install of the same key so long as more than 180 days have passed since the last install. There may also be a lifetime limit per key before they require you to call one of their operators that are standing by....

I can tell you that it is absolutely true that you can reuse a key. I have done it with upgrades with no problems at all...but more than 180 days had passed when I did....and I am using OEM...Retail works the same way.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
o_streeteh

Far as i know, legal CD keys are restricted to one PC at any one time, however they can be transferred to a new computer when the old is replaced (this is excluding OEM copies, which are restricted to one motherboard and cannont be transferred to a new computer when the old one is scrapped - hence the much lower price tag). The reason why the same CD key is used multiple times for pirated copies of windows XP is due to the fact that some smart bods remove the CD key protection bits hidden away within.

Rumors are that in vista it will be much harder to do this, it has already been done, but its only a matter of time before a new vista patch buggers up everyones illegal copies of vista, whether this is true or MS are just saying this to deter people from pirating vista is another matter.

Only cheap legal solution is to buy a OEM copy of windows XP (around £60), there are 'other' methods that i reckon a large portion of the people on these forums employ usually involving bittorrent but i'll let your imagination figure that one out.
o_streeteh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
o_jinx

By OEM I believe you mean the kind you get with a Dell, etc. that are really more a "restore disc" etc. Those are an utter screw-over.

The actual OEM discs, afaik, are not much different from the regular versions of XP. Only difference- you have to buy them with hardware (ie buy a hard drive or something with it at the pc store), you don't get tech support from Microsoft (assumption is you would get it from the manufacturer) and it costs way the hell less. We sold a lot at MicroCenter to people building systems.
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

A "restore disc" is exactly that. It's Ghost image or something similar of the imaged hard drive for your series computer. It can restore the OS and standard software to factory original condition assuming all hardware is intact. An OEM disc is one that is intended only to ship with a brand new computer. It is the installation disc for Windows and it comes with it's own CD Key. I've been a registered Microsoft Partner since the days of Dos so I have worked with it for a while.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
o_loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
I remember reading somewhere that Microsoft will allow automatic activation of a new install of the same key so long as more than 180 days have passed since the last install. There may also be a lifetime limit per key before they require you to call one of their operators that are standing by....

I can tell you that it is absolutely true that you can reuse a key. I have done it with upgrades with no problems at all...but more than 180 days had passed when I did....and I am using OEM...Retail works the same way.
That used to be on old Windows 98 only.

With XP you can use the same CD key/CD upto 3 times, and once more every 6 months.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #13
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
That used to be on old Windows 98 only.

With XP you can use the same CD key/CD upto 3 times, and once more every 6 months.
What used to be Windows 98 only? There was no activation of Windows 98. XP was the first Windows version where Activation was required.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
o_vampiricus

you will be getting a visit from the windows police, at your front door.
o_vampiricus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
o_ghost

They don't use the front door. The repel in from helecopters busting through your windows (bah, no pun inteded. seriously!).
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
o_mooga

For a class, a friend of mine had to install windows 98 (don't ask). Durring the installation, EVERYONE in the class used the same key

"Ok class, now enter this key:..."

Old 02-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #17
o_vampiricus

uh huh, and that was before keys were even checked for validation, so whats your point?

and where the hell is Circ? his sarcasm is usually all over this one
o_vampiricus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #18
o_loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampiricuS
you will be getting a visit from the windows police, at your front door.
Microsoft have actually admitted that they are not bothered about home users using pirate versions.. They make all thier money from licences bought by huge businesses.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #19
o_bubbles

Damn! That's one really stupid ass question.
o_bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 10:44 PM   #20
o_mooga

Quote:
Microsoft have actually admitted that they are not bothered about home users using pirate versions.. They make all thier money from licences bought by huge businesses.
They actually GROW money. They don't need to take it from businesses